Realistically, when can I expect a kinect-less model?

#111Kabuto_YPosted 1/15/2014 7:39:29 AM
The day Xbox One sells without kinect is the day the kinect dies. Developers only make games with the kinect in mind because they know that everybody will have one. The moment this isn't true is the moment all of Microsoft's hard work to make the kinect central to your experience are dashed.
---
3DS FC: 2449-4620-4409
AC town name: 'Murrica
#112TheMuffinPosted 1/15/2014 8:20:09 AM
Madness2012 posted...
They built the hardware around the Kinect,never gonna happen this year.If they did come out
with a X1 without a Kinect they would have to change the whole interface,they won't do that
any time soon......

People keep saying this and it's not at all true. If the Kinect was integral in the operation of the One, it wouldn't be removable and the console wouldn't work without it. Do I believe they designed some software/OS features around it? Yes. But the primary and most secondary features of the console operate completely fine without the thing. If MS had truly believed in the thing, they would have made navigation impossible without it to force people into using it for the OS features. The fact that they didn't shows either they don't believe in the device or they think people wouldn't want it. Personally I think it's both.
---
SnowFox7 ~I heard him use the term 'tarantula downpour', which would actually have been significantly worse than the rain we had that day.
#113TBONE_OGPosted 1/15/2014 9:40:52 AM
Tenzhi posted...
TBONE_OG posted...
You know... sometimes I can't help but feel happy that MS won't release a kinectless sku. That way, it'll keep people like Tenzhi away. Win win, I say.

Hardly. I'll be picking one up as soon as there are more games I want regardless of the Kinect. Given that I prefer co-op games and some of my friends have already acquired the system, I can't exactly avoid it.

Well if that's the case then...

Just do yourself a favor. Try the Kinect for a week. If you really can't stand it, sell it.
---
Always O.G.
#114TBONE_OGPosted 1/15/2014 9:49:14 AM(edited)
TheMuffin posted...
If MS had truly believed in the thing, they would have made navigation impossible without it to force people into using it for the OS features. The fact that they didn't shows either they don't believe in the device or they think people wouldn't want it. Personally I think it's both.

See I can't really agree with this. Here's why.

MS had initially had a mandatory Kinect. I believe they reversed it for a few reasons.

1) Huge backlash from online vocal minority on X1 features, plans.

2) A lot of huffing and puffing from the whole NSA fiasco, and MS being tied to Prism.

So in the end, they decided to give people the option to have it unplugged. They still believe in it, think it's a great piece of tech, and want all X1 users to have one.
---
Always O.G.
#115Wolverine24708Posted 1/15/2014 9:49:18 AM
1discobob posted...
Just my opinion, but at some point I think Microsoft really should release an SKU without Kinect simply because at some point people may have their Xbox die. While I don't mind buying one with the Kinect to start with, I really don't want to buy another Kinect if only my console dies.
#116scoobydoobydontPosted 1/15/2014 10:38:13 AM
Sorry, no Self-Important Hipster Try-Hard Edition Xbone. You'll have to buy the one they offer or go back to thinking up new kinds of troll topics wherein you pretend you are totally interested, but there's just one feature they have to change first.
---
''ALL games should at least have single player. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will.'' -aszsith
#117TheMuffinPosted 1/15/2014 10:59:22 AM(edited)
scoobydoobydont posted...
Sorry, no Self-Important Hipster Try-Hard Edition Xbone. You'll have to buy the one they offer or go back to thinking up new kinds of troll topics wherein you pretend you are totally interested, but there's just one feature they have to change first.

That first sentence was so damned stupid I almost had a Scanners moment.

EDIT: Actually that whole post made me feel that way.
---
SnowFox7 ~I heard him use the term 'tarantula downpour', which would actually have been significantly worse than the rain we had that day.
#118scoobydoobydontPosted 1/15/2014 11:09:47 AM
TheMuffin posted...

That first sentence was so damned stupid I almost had a Scanners moment.

EDIT: Actually that whole post made me feel that way.

Tell me more about your butthurt.
---
''ALL games should at least have single player. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will.'' -aszsith
#119TheGam3925Posted 1/15/2014 11:11:36 AM

Hey guys, I enjoy my Xbox 360 but I didn't buy a Kinect for it. I guess I'm a hipster. Brilliant logic.
---
360 - The Game 925
PSN - TheGame925
#120shawnmckPosted 1/15/2014 11:15:33 AM
It would be (is) asinine for anyone to say that Microsoft "WON'T" ever release a kinect-less bundle.
I guaran-damn-tee you that if XBO sales slump or take a dive like the Wii-U, then MS will consider drastic actions and think about dropping kinect.

And people forget, people also said that Microsoft would "NEVER" drop the drastic DRM features or constant On-line connection either...within a few weeks MS changed their policy and did exactly that.
So its possible.

And I suspect they will eventually, although it might take them a year or two.
Already all the stores in my area (Wal-Mart, Best-Buy, Target, K-Mart, Costco, Game-Stop, etc, etc)...are all packed with Xbox Ones, and they aren't selling.
It might have sold during the Holidays, but now its starting to sell poorly.
As the PS4 numbers increase and the XBox One falls behind, then you can bet your ass that Microsoft will consider dropping kinect to make the unit more appealing.

Right now the numbers are roughly XBO with 2-million sold...and PS4 with 3-million sold.
What happens when the XBO reaches 3-million, but the PS4 reaches 6-7 million (or higher)..?
Keep in mind that even the Wii-U has like 4 or 5-million sold now. And when the Wii-U launched it too sold 2 or 3 million.
What any console sells at launch and during a Holiday season is NOT evidence of success. Long-term sales are.

Things are going to get tough for the XBO...and Microsoft can either lower the cost and keep kinect for a huge loss, or they can drop kinect and the price for a boost in sales.
Adding a kinect-less sku would be sound business strategy to increase sales. If you can't see this, then you are a blind fanboy.