What does Kinect do to better your gaming experience?

#11wrettcaughnPosted 1/12/2014 5:03:19 AM
Kinect is at it's most useful in my house when we're passing a controller back and forth. It auto-signs-in the gamertag of whoever is holding it.

Other than that, voice commands in Ryse and Dead Rising 3 allow you to do things without taking yourself out of the action. Saying "Xbox Pause" and "Xbox Play" is far quicker than waking a controller back up when you're watching a movie or Netflix. Kinect isn't a necessity, but it is certainly handy.
#12RockguyKevPosted 1/12/2014 8:01:19 AM
It, like high definition, rumble, controllers with more than one button, the internet, friends lists, achievements, discs, cloud storage, home menus, cross play, and a million other features of modern consoles are not essential.

Pong worked just fine without any of those things.
#13tadmfpole(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2014 12:39:56 PM
CyberneticRat posted...
tadmfpole posted...
I don't see the point. If it is such an essential part of gaming on the Xbox One, what is it doing better than a controller or a headset? Is there a game out or coming anytime this year that just wouldn't be the same without it besides Kinect Sports Rivals?

In Battlefield 4, 'saying next time spawn as engineer' automatically spawns you in as an engineer when you die so that you automatically can get back in the action as fast as possible. You can also use it to look around in vehicles which is particularly helpful during dogfights because usually, you had to let go of the steering to look around and hope you didn't crash into a stray telephone pole or something. You can also lean around corners with more precision and even lean without there being cover.

The way I see it, the Kinect isn't supposed to replace the controller which is why we see more Kinect integration rather than full on Kinect motion games. It's to be a sort of sidekick and I think it does the job well, particularly with games that make use of it like Madden and Battlefield 4.

I can highlight the engineer kit while waiting on the spawn timer and press the A button in less time than I can say "spawn as engineer" and do the exact same thing. How do you use it to look around in vehicles? And how do you lean around corners with more precision, does it let you change the degree in which you can lean?
---
my current game collection
http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/tadmfpole/games/owned