Why most upcoming games need to ditch sp and concentrate on mp

#1skermacPosted 1/13/2014 12:55:33 PM
Sp campaigns are too long and no one, except me and a few others, want to play more than 5 or 6 hours. So either get rid of it and put more money into mp or cut all sp content to 4 or 5 hours.

games like Halo and COD are sitting relatively high with 70-75% completion rates. Meanwhile, GTA IV is way, way lower at only 27% or so. Why is this?

Size. Halo and Call of Duty campaigns are only window dressing for the multiplayer, most of the time. A COD campaign lasts maybe 6-7 hours, while Halo might clock in at 8-10. But a game like Grand Theft Auto IV where the bulk of the game IS the single player? You could spend easily 30 to 40 to 50 hours with the single player of that game, depending on how many side quests you did or unscripted rampages you went on.

Many players who have picked up the game either canít devote the time to finish a 40 hour game, or donít want to, as they may simply may get bored of it, even after enjoying it initially.

This is a problem. Not in terms of sales, obviously. Whatever they say, Rockstar probably doesnít care all that much if someone who picks up a copy of GTA 5 plays for five hours or fifty. But it is worrisome for gaming as an artistic medium.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/09/20/what-percentage-of-players-will-actually-finish-gta-5/
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#2Lawboy2Posted 1/13/2014 12:57:33 PM
I think ppl fail to realize that destiny and the division don't have true campaigns...they are always online...you have a story but you also have a multiplayer while you are online
#3OEIO999Posted 1/13/2014 1:09:52 PM(edited)
Mass Effect 4

BtW TC, you're forgetting Skyrim, which has an extremely large fanbase. Also the Fallout series, to say people prefer short SP games is cutting it short.
#4__Darklit__Posted 1/13/2014 1:08:03 PM
This is why I hate current gen gaming. I'd be perfectly fine with the opposite happening, I don't care about multiplayer one bit. The fat that so many people think this way honestly disgusts me. A game should have a 40+ hour story :(
#5Excal1burPosted 1/13/2014 1:10:24 PM
I think theirs a good place for both, I like the COD campaigns if for anything its a neat way to use some different weapon/weapon setups that you may not use in the Mplayer and I think they are a perfect length. However if I picked up GTA V and it only had a 6 hour campaign and I had to wait 2 weeks for the Garbage online they released I would of been super pissed, and probably would not of ever bought another Rockstar game.

On one simple side note I think Dice should just give up on Single player, They just completely fail at making even a serviceable campaign. How does COD campaign have more vehicle missions than Battlefield. Its just sad.
#6lunaticcorePosted 1/13/2014 1:10:36 PM
There is plenty of single player games. There is plenty of games that are played mainly for MP.

No reason for this to change either way. There is certainly some single player games that shouldn't have bothered with MP though..
#7hardinm78Posted 1/13/2014 1:16:07 PM
i would like to see a game where sp and mp is somehow creatively combined into one fun story mode. i dont know how it would work but the idea intrigues me. This is neither pro or con Titanfall as i have no idea how it is.
---
gamertag:hollywood1228
psn:hollywood1228
#8RyuuHou25Posted 1/13/2014 1:23:35 PM
This logic is rather flawed considering most people spend hundreds of hours in the MP of games where it is actually decent anyways WHILE still enjoying the SP also.

If they can't devote the time to SP, why in the holy hell are they going to devote the time to MP instead?
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liGiTVdVu1A
#9Coutts2Posted 1/13/2014 1:24:57 PM
Make a good campaign and people will play it, make good multi-player and people will play it. Tack on crappy SP or MP and most will pass it over.
---
PSN: Geoff-C-
#10shotymePosted 1/13/2014 1:27:50 PM
Borderlands 2 is the only game that got it right so far imo
---
Now Playing: Borderlands 2,CoD Ghosts,NBA2K14,Killer Instinct;Wants: Guilty Gear Xrd,Watch Dogs,Persona 5,Dark Souls 2
Proud Oregon,Knicks,Titans,Cards Fan