Pretty funny comic about the current thinking of digital platforms

#1squarex8264Posted 1/13/2014 1:00:53 PM
http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20140110

I know comparing PS Now to the original plans of the Xbox One is not entirely equal, but there is some similarities there.
---
"You guys can sig that if you want." -TheArcade
#2AlexPumaPosted 1/13/2014 1:30:16 PM
The maker of the comic seems to unable to tell the difference between a subscription service, like Netflix/Hulu Plus/WWE Network/etc, and the SimCity 5 concept, which the Xbox One was originally designed like.
---
http://www.gaming-unleashed.com/
"Oh I can handle any load that comes my way....." - Savott
#3scoobydoobydontPosted 1/13/2014 3:11:48 PM
AlexPuma posted...
The maker of the comic seems to unable to tell the difference between a subscription service, like Netflix/Hulu Plus/WWE Network/etc, and the SimCity 5 concept, which the Xbox One was originally designed like.

Irrelevant to the point the comic is making.
---
''ALL games should at least have single player. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will.'' -aszsith
#4AzaneAzerPosted 1/13/2014 3:20:26 PM
Online service option vs an online service requirement is a huge difference.
#5Devil_wings00Posted 1/13/2014 3:30:35 PM
Well one is a completely optional pay service like netflix/hulu while the other was a steel rod being jammed down your throat with no discernible upside besides hypothetical "family sharing" stuff that was never really ever elaborated upon. Honestly most of the apparent advantages we were supposed to get from the always online can still be done without the always online requirement. It would just be an opt-in model vs. the previous "take it or GTFO" model.
---
3570k @ 1.260v - 4.6Ghz
GTX 580 SLI
#6TBONE_OGPosted 1/13/2014 3:31:17 PM
AzaneAzer posted...
Online service option vs an online service requirement is a huge difference.

I think you missed this part:

So I imagine the argument here would be "Well, Playstation Now is totally optional." That's true... but I'd point out that the entire act of purchasing/using a console at all is optional. We don't need video games to survive, it's something we choose to do. And can choose not to do if we don't like what is being offered. Nobody would have been forced to buy an Xbox One if they didn't want to, and the Playstation 4 would have still been there as a next-gen option. Yet people got angry at the Xbox anyway.

Not saying this is the ultimate defense, but this was his argument.
---
Always O.G.
#7TBONE_OGPosted 1/13/2014 3:35:17 PM
Devil_wings00 posted...
Well one is a completely optional pay service like netflix/hulu while the other was a steel rod being jammed down your throat with no discernible upside besides hypothetical "family sharing" stuff that was never really ever elaborated upon. Honestly most of the apparent advantages we were supposed to get from the always online can still be done without the always online requirement. It would just be an opt-in model vs. the previous "take it or GTFO" model.

I like what you say about the "opt-in model". That should definitely be something they offer later.

I've always said MS should give people the option for Always Online, DRM. If you do, you get perks like the family sharing plan and so on.

We'll see if someday they can implement a variety of plans that work for everyone.
---
Always O.G.
#8Foxx3kPosted 1/13/2014 4:14:48 PM
"I can't believe that the Xbox One requires an internet connection!"
later
"I can't wait for Titanfall, Destiny, The Division, The Crew, Evolve, etc online games etc!"
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#9TBONE_OGPosted 1/13/2014 4:18:43 PM
Foxx3k posted...
"I can't believe that the Xbox One requires an internet connection!"
later
"I can't wait for Titanfall, Destiny, The Division, The Crew, Evolve, etc online games etc!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxJh6slAqXM
---
Always O.G.