Should Microsoft buy Nintendo and Sony?

#61EnclavePosted 1/14/2014 2:51:04 AM
Hansukei posted...
GladiatorDanger posted...
Ken_Low posted...
But Microsoft needs sony....And Sony needs Microsoft

How so?

Competition brings in money. Research it. =P

PS2 had no real competition, it dominated. Sony made bank off that system and some of the best games ever made also showed up in that generation.

Competition isn't always required for excellence.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#62ECOsvaldoPosted 1/14/2014 2:53:23 AM
NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!
---
PSN ID: ecosvaldo | 3DS Friend Code: 2707-1633-0103 | PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/ABH
#63lunaticcorePosted 1/14/2014 3:12:58 AM
Enclave posted...
Hansukei posted...
Ken_Low posted...

How so?

PS2 had no real competition, it dominated. Sony made bank off that system and some of the best games ever made also showed up in that generation.

The Ps1 fought off N64 and basically killed Sega and created some of the best games ever and helped Mature games become the norm. Competition created the Dual Shock controller because analog was awesome on the N64 for 3d games. Hell Sony was working on the original PSX add on for Nintendo because ... competition. Competition led to an better environment for 3rd parties on the Sony platform. It's obvious how competition from Xbox Live has pushed PSN to be where it is at today.

It seems pretty clear nobody should want any of these companies sitting pretty with no competition to keep them in check and drive them at this point.
#64EnclavePosted 1/14/2014 3:30:21 AM
lunaticcore posted...
Enclave posted...
Hansukei posted...
Ken_Low posted...

How so?

The Ps1 fought off N64 and basically killed Sega and created some of the best games ever and helped Mature games become the norm. Competition created the Dual Shock controller because analog was awesome on the N64 for 3d games. Hell Sony was working on the original PSX add on for Nintendo because ... competition. Competition led to an better environment for 3rd parties on the Sony platform. It's obvious how competition from Xbox Live has pushed PSN to be where it is at today.

It seems pretty clear nobody should want any of these companies sitting pretty with no competition to keep them in check and drive them at this point.

I'm not saying competition is bad, I'm just saying that it isn't the only way to get a decent product. The PS2 is definitely evidence of what I'm saying is correct.

Hell, had Sony not gotten a bit crazy with the PS3 price? Their dominance (at least among the more hardcore gaming market) would have continued being largely unapposed. While the Wii still would have been remarkably huge thanks to the casual market? The 360 would likely have been no more successful than the Xbox was and Microsoft probably wouldn't have made a 3rd console.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#65TeferiePosted 1/14/2014 3:55:45 AM
MrBadinger posted...
I don't really think they could. Microsoft would probably run into trouble with Anti-Trust laws

It would not the first time Microsoft has had a run-in with the Sherman Anti-Trust Act of 1890 Sections 1 & 2.
---
Youtube's Content ID is currently violating: Section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976 & Fair Use. Write your Congressman.
#66GladiatorDangerPosted 1/14/2014 6:12:47 AM
CrazyFool319 posted...
TheApd_Returns posted...
Microsoft got the business sense to make your booty go

Alienate consumer base by announcing ass backwards policy regarding used games and inferior hardware priced 100 dollars more than the competition? The fact that somebody thought that this would be a good idea is evidence against their business sense.

Assbackward policy? You do realize that gaming has been this way on PC for years right? You do realize they would have seen next to no money for this policy except on their own games.

You also do realize that you are paying for a kinect right? Those dont grow on trees. Inferior hardware, ill give you that, but you arent paying more for the console, you are paying more for the kinect bundled with it.

Yeah but it was mostly done on PC to combat piracy which has been a big problem and still is a big problem on the PC, its introduction on the Xbox however would have merely been done to squeeze that little bit extra out of consumers by effectively stopping used game sales. Also how do you think console manufacturers make most of their money? Its not through selling the consoles themselves but the games that run on them, of course they get nothing from used game sales which is kind of why they wanted to prevent legitimate customers from doing what they wish with their copy of the game.

As for the kinect I really don't see how paying $100 extra for a mandatory piece of hardware nobody wants that further drains the Xbox's already limited processing power is a point in Microsoft's favor.
#67GladiatorDangerPosted 1/14/2014 6:16:51 AM
Enclave posted...
Hansukei posted...
Ken_Low posted...

How so?

Yeah it did, how well it did in comparison is to the competition is irrelevant as there were still other companies offering products that do similar things which required Sony to work harder in order to stay ahead of the competition.
#68EnclavePosted 1/14/2014 6:31:28 AM
Yeah it did, how well it did in comparison is to the competition is irrelevant as there were still other companies offering products that do similar things which required Sony to work harder in order to stay ahead of the competition.

No, it didn't. Sony had such a massive sales lead during that generation that Nintendo and Microsoft may as well have not even tried. That generation was dominated by Sony to the point where the sales lead was about as close to a monopoly as you can get without it being an actual monopoly.

The Gamecube and Xbox both were solid systems in their own right, but they were just eclipsed into being a mere footnote in history thanks to the overwhelming popularity of the PS2.

The PS2 seriously had such a massive lead that Sony didn't even really have to try to secure exclusives.
---
#69TauriLeaderPosted 1/14/2014 6:33:48 AM
Even if Microsoft had the money they couldn't buy both. European courts don't like Microsoft and would rule it a monopoly in the industry. Japan don't let outside businesses own Japanese company's.
---
Due to recent economic conditions, and the rising cost of Electricity, Gas and Oil, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
#70GladiatorDangerPosted 1/14/2014 6:43:15 AM
Enclave posted...

No, it didn't. Sony had such a massive sales lead during that generation that Nintendo and Microsoft may as well have not even tried. That generation was dominated by Sony to the point where the sales lead was about as close to a monopoly as you can get without it being an actual monopoly.

The Gamecube and Xbox both were solid systems in their own right, but they were just eclipsed into being a mere footnote in history thanks to the overwhelming popularity of the PS2.

The PS2 seriously had such a massive lead that Sony didn't even really have to try to secure exclusives.

Yes, it did. Answer me this, were there not video game consoles of comparable power released around the same time as the PS2?