To some, the Xbox brand stands for something soulless. But for Sega fanboys...

#1SigmaLongshotPosted 1/14/2014 9:41:38 AM
Yes, I'm aware that, as the youngest of the "Big Three" when it comes to console gaming, Microsoft is often undermined and overlooked. And as they are, well... Microsoft, people can often assume they're just throwing infinity-money around as some kind of flagrant, frivolous amusement, that they're the least interested, the most hollow of the three.

However, if you are, like me, spiritually aligned to classic Sega, they are the ones you should resonate with (if you happened to know the history of the Xbox brand). In fact, Microsoft is actually the most amiable of the three companies, approaching everyone from Namco to Apple for mutual gaming endeavours before reaching an agreement with Sega.

When Sega was struggling to produce the Dreamcast, it was actually Microsoft who popped by with a cash injection and the use of DirectX/the new Windows CE software in order to get the machine off the ground (with Sega even admitting that the Dreamcast wouldn't have been possible without Microsoft's assistance). They shared tips on manufacturing, which went on to aid the production of the Xbox, which shared several aspects of Sega's machine.

When Sega's Dreamcast started to fail, thanks to the Xbox's similar internal architecture and software, Microsoft actually spoke with Sega with the intention of allowing Dreamcast games to be played on the Xbox. The only condition was that Dreamcast games could not use online functionality, since Xbox's new Xbox Live would not be completely compatible with Dreamcast's internet functions. Sega actually declined, bowing out with honour and stating they would not butcher their games or remove content just for the sake of piggybacking on Microsoft's machine. Neither company had any ill feeling towards the other with this decision, and kept a very friendly relationship (maintained to this day). In fact, Microsoft is closer to Sega than even Sony and Nintendo, which might surprise considering Microsoft is the only non-Japanese company.

Microsoft continue to maintain a neutral-to-friendly stance with many companies (hell, the Kinect was developed by the Israeli Military and Microsoft even allowed Apple to bid for it first, for goodness' sake).

So I suppose, though I've a lot of love and respect for Nintendo and Sony, as a Sega fanboy, I have nothing but the absolute respect for what could be termed the spiritual successor to the Sega console brand - the Xbox - and, by proxy, Microsoft itself.

A lot of the hatred towards something tends to be through ignorance, and I never hate ignorance; ignorance is merely the status of unknowing, and nobody can know everything. But knowing, but choosing to discard that knowledge because it doesn't bolster your own opinion or agenda? That's totally different. Microsoft are not ogres - they are Sega's cool cousin.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#2MrSpaM111Posted 1/14/2014 9:50:52 AM
Sega fanboys still exist?!?
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
#3Apex-PlayerPosted 1/14/2014 9:58:00 AM
"Kinect was developed by the Israeli Military"

That I did not know, interesting.
Learn something new everyday.
---
PSN/ Comfort_Cat
#4TrueBlue91Posted 1/14/2014 9:59:23 AM
Sega was awesome, MS always sucked. That's the important thing.
---
Pour grammer annoy's me
"This isn't even apples to oranges. More like toast to bears." - Bloodychess
#5killerbasaPosted 1/14/2014 10:02:18 AM
Sega CD Master Race
#6dementedlullabyPosted 1/14/2014 10:09:10 AM
MrSpaM111 posted...

No. Some Sega franchise fanboys exist but Sega has screwed over their Western fans repeatedly.

A ton of titles won't ever see a release here, what's up with the new Phantasy Star game not coming over? They released it for the 360 but won't release the new one for the Vita in the West? Where the fanbase is actually more likely to buy it, plus it could bolster Vita sales. Just one stupid decision not to localize among how many?

Sega still releases some good games but they are also good at releasing a load of junk. Sonic 4 was a disgrace that should have probably never existed. Capcom had it right with MM9 and 10. Should of just made an old school Sonic game with new stages, not the horrid physics we got. I'm not even going to talk about 06. I still love Sega classic games but I can't help but be wary when a new title comes out.
---
XBL/PSN/NNID/Steam:DementedLullaby Origin:DL8286
The Imperial Truth is a Lie
#7TrueBlue91Posted 1/14/2014 10:11:53 AM
dementedlullaby posted...
MrSpaM111 posted...

No. Some Sega franchise fanboys exist but Sega has screwed over their Western fans repeatedly.

A ton of titles won't ever see a release here, what's up with the new Phantasy Star game not coming over? They released it for the 360 but won't release the new one for the Vita in the West? Where the fanbase is actually more likely to buy it, plus it could bolster Vita sales. Just one stupid decision not to localize among how many?

Sega still releases some good games but they are also good at releasing a load of junk. Sonic 4 was a disgrace that should have probably never existed. Capcom had it right with MM9 and 10. Should of just made an old school Sonic game with new stages, not the horrid physics we got. I'm not even going to talk about 06. I still love Sega classic games but I can't help but be wary when a new title comes out.

Sonic 4 is probably largely Sonic Team's fault. I doubt Sega held back on budget too much, and the game doesn't seem rushed, it just sucks.
---
Pour grammer annoy's me
"This isn't even apples to oranges. More like toast to bears." - Bloodychess
#8dementedlullabyPosted 1/14/2014 10:14:19 AM
Yep, it was just a bad game with bad design choices. They took their time and released it in Episodes and they still didn't get it right. Even though ep 2 was slightly better like Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge....It's hard to polish a turd!
---
XBL/PSN/NNID/Steam:DementedLullaby Origin:DL8286
The Imperial Truth is a Lie
#9teeebzPosted 1/14/2014 10:14:31 AM
I actually didn't know all hat info, pretty cool.

I still have my dreamcast and can remember having a ton of fun on it with games like shenmue, sonic, skies of Arcadia, and powerstone.
---
GT- MR WhiteEe
PSN- Teebz83
#10SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2014 11:05:16 AM
I think because I'm still stinging the Dreamcast was so cruelly overlooked by the masses, the fact that the Xbox brand is virtually born of Sega's Dreamcast development makes it close to me.

I mean, it also allowed for some great insta-ports such as Shenmue 2, Capcom vs SNK2, Crazy Taxi and Phantasy Star Online directly from the original DC code, and as a gesture of good faith, Sega offered their already near-completed Jet Set Radio 2 (which would later be named JSR:Future) to Microsoft for their machine to be completed and optimised for the original Xbox.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/