Then I realised, the reason I'm enjoying Lego Marvel (but no other Lego game...)

#1SigmaLongshotPosted 1/14/2014 11:50:56 AM
I hope it's not just me that made the realisation when it comes to this particular Lego game.

I've always pigeonholed the Lego games as nothing more than a simple run-and-smash, so when I got Lego Marvel as a gift I assumed it'd be the same.

But as I progressed through it, the shifting between the party of three to perform unique abilities to progress and solve increasingly complex puzzle combinations...

...the game is like Lost Vikings!!

One of my favourite games of all time, Lost Vikings requires all three uniquely-talented vikings to be independently led towards the level exit by the player. All vikings need to reach the exit to win, which is why you need to use everyone equally.

I've never got the Lost Vikings vibe from another game since then... until now. Interesting it would be THIS game to give me that game-mechanic-vibe again!
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#2SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2014 3:50:07 AM
No Lost Vikings love?! That's saddening.
---
#3yutterhPosted 1/15/2014 3:53:16 AM
Hell yeah I love that game. That was definantly one of my most played games on the sega. I also loved the north by north east PS sequel. The werewolf and dragon were fun additions and the cyborg upgrades were pretty awesome. Not as much humor in the levels but still a great puzzle game. Oh and **** the balloon level in lost Vikings. It was the only set of stages I couldn't pass.
---
Ker blam
Yolo
#4TenzhiPosted 1/15/2014 4:02:25 AM
That's how most LEGO games play...
---
Cheating has gone hand-in-hand with gaming for centuries. Video games in particular often have cheats built right into the game.
#5crynryanPosted 1/15/2014 4:41:46 AM
I think the reason I like Lego Marvel more then the others (I've played Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Pirates, Star Wars), is because the characters themselves are more unique. The older games the characters are practically the same, except for the ones that are small enough to go through holes or ones with different weapons or carrying a book. This game has characters that fly, can web swing, can turn Hulk size, and more.
---
This feels warm. What is this feeling? Is it of warmth?
#6deadmarvPosted 1/15/2014 5:20:44 AM
crynryan posted...
I think the reason I like Lego Marvel more then the others (I've played Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Pirates, Star Wars), is because the characters themselves are more unique. The older games the characters are practically the same, except for the ones that are small enough to go through holes or ones with different weapons or carrying a book. This game has characters that fly, can web swing, can turn Hulk size, and more.

That last Lego Batman game had characters that could fly. I don't know about size changers though.
#7SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2014 3:09:20 AM
Tenzhi posted...
That's how most LEGO games play...

Yeah, as later posters mentioned, the variation is what makes the puzzling seem more... interesting. Integral. I only played Lego Star Wars and Lego Indy, and within those games all it was seemed to be "smash enemies, depress switches, build switches to open doors". And though they weren't BAD games, they just weren't so engaging to me.

But this one's different - it seems like each individual character is absolutely integral to the levels, such as having Human Torch to melt away an icy wall, allowing Hawkeye fire arrows into said wall, to have Black Widow swing between them with her cloaking device, to turn off the security cameras ahead, and so on, and so on.
---
#8TenzhiPosted 1/16/2014 3:51:37 AM
Yeah, I suppose the LEGO Indiana Jones games were some of the least interesting in the series, gameplay-wise.

Star Wars had a bit more variety, but as the saying goes "when the only tool in your toolbox is the Force, every problem looks like a floating box."

The Harry Potter series had a variety of abilities, but anyone with a wand could use most of them.

Pirates of the Caribbean had skeletons...

Lord of the Rings had more variety than I would have expected.

LEGO Batman was good and its sequel was on par with Marvel in some ways, and better than Marvel as far as all the races and vehicle bits are concerned. Somehow, flying in general was better in LEGO Batman 2.
---
Cheating has gone hand-in-hand with gaming for centuries. Video games in particular often have cheats built right into the game.