Why do you need to install each game before you can play it?

#1DarkMark942Posted 1/14/2014 6:18:28 PM
And does it eat up GB's?
---
Not changing sig until the Seahawks win the Super Bowl
#2Troll_DirectoryPosted 1/14/2014 6:19:32 PM
because blu-ray is too slow for this generation.
#3aszsithPosted 1/14/2014 6:25:37 PM
Does installing a game take up hard drive space? Yes. What kind of question is that in 2014?
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#4thisispurecrapPosted 1/14/2014 6:35:17 PM
The xbox can't read fast enough from the drive. and honestly this IS 2014, what kind of question is that.
---
Tactics Ogre (snes) > any other game out there.
#5skermacPosted 1/14/2014 6:39:34 PM
Why don't they make faster drives? CD-ROM did that years ago. 2x 4x 8x 32x and so on.

Why don't they make a 120x Blu-ray drive so we don't have to eat up hd space?
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#6Troll_DirectoryPosted 1/14/2014 6:49:41 PM
thisispurecrap posted...
The xbox can't read fast enough from the drive. and honestly this IS 2014, what kind of question is that.
the ps4 and xo aren't the problem. the disc medium and its tech are. that's why they both have mandatory installations.
#7RyuuHou25Posted 1/14/2014 7:01:58 PM
skermac posted...
Why don't they make faster drives? CD-ROM did that years ago. 2x 4x 8x 32x and so on.

1. Read speeds are different for each type of disc drive. CD ROMs had higher read speeds because the base was much smaller, since the disc capacity itself was MUCH smaller

2. That would not be possible with current technology. As it is, the drives in PS4/X1 are some of the fastest read speeds possible right now. Doesn't negate the fact that the games themselves are MASSIVE and require both the disc and install data to run as optimally as possible.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liGiTVdVu1A
#8skermacPosted 1/14/2014 8:12:15 PM
RyuuHou25 posted...
skermac posted...

1. Read speeds are different for each type of disc drive. CD ROMs had higher read speeds because the base was much smaller, since the disc capacity itself was MUCH smaller

2. That would not be possible with current technology. As it is, the drives in PS4/X1 are some of the fastest read speeds possible right now. Doesn't negate the fact that the games themselves are MASSIVE and require both the disc and install data to run as optimally as possible.

Makes sense
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#9_Elite_Bushido_Posted 1/14/2014 8:21:54 PM
Troll_Directory posted...
because blu-ray is too slow for this generation.

That was the reason almost 10 years ago too... That tech is moving a bit... Slow

But running off a HDD will always be better anyway
---
$ony Ponie$ and trolls- http://tinyurl.com/lalpn7d
PS4, Mediocrity awaits. --------- FC: 0834-1795-7959
#10SkinonPosted 1/15/2014 1:18:58 AM
Why don't games come on tiny hard drives that you can just plug in instead of disks..