Those of you that can't tell a difference between 1080p and 720p

#61Rome218Posted 1/19/2014 7:09:59 AM
Aray48...
aray48 posted...<That has nothing to do with my post. I am just saying that 1080p factually has more than double the pixels.

And I am posting an article from digitaltrends that does more than what you are factually saying, it is examining for consumers if that actually plays a large impact.

I would imagine the impact of something having twice the pixels weighs more than something just having twice the pixels. I trust digital trends a lot more than someone I do not know on gamefaqs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Trends

They are on wikipedia, the guy trying to convince us of things most likely is not.

Credentials:
Digital Trends editorial team is led by editor-in-chief Micah Abrams and managing editor Nick Mokey.[7]

Abrams is an Emmy award-winning writer and editor [8] who joined Digital Trends in August 2012. Abrams previously served as a senior editor at ESPN and editor-in-chief of FREEZE magazine, a youth-market targeted, action sports magazine published alongside TransWorld Snowboarding, Skateboarding, and Surf. Abrams won a Sports Emmy for “New Approaches” for video production work on NBCOlympics.com during the 2008 Beijing Olympics broadcast.[9]

So the guy in charge has something no one on Gamefaqs has, and that is an Emmy. He has experience with other things such as sports, and now he is focused on bringing his great journalism to a good website.

Again, for those who missed it:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/720p-vs-1080p-can-you-tell-the-difference-between-hdtv-resolutions/
#62M1911A1Posted 1/19/2014 7:23:05 AM
tadmfpole posted...
How many of you have a 1080p TV? It seems strange that someone would own a TV capable of 1080p but not care if the resolution being displayed is 720p or 1080p.

I guess everyone should get rid of HD cable service huh?
#63MetroidFan9999Posted 1/19/2014 7:28:11 AM(edited)
FinzFan4life posted...
MetroidFan9999 posted...
"I got a 1080p television, I can't tell the difference"

So...why do you have a 1080p television, again?

You guys are hilarious.

Cause you cant really get a TV anymore that's not.

I got glasses mainly for driving to give me a little extra sharpness I do not play my games with them but cause my vision is barely enough to need them.

But like I said I play games to have fun not eye **** the resolution.

If the two similar games are running at diff resolutions but the lower one is better and funner then I choose that one.

Like someone else said a polished turd is still a turd.

One more thing and this is my opinion but Sony has only a couple franchises that are even good. God of war and infamous

So all their games can be 1080p but they will still have crap games

.....why are you mentioning Sony and their games, again?

Has it really gotten this bad, that not only do you reassure yourself that there is no difference (even stating that your eyes are bad)....you need to down Sony in the same post?

Let the people with good eyesight discuss this, thanks bro.

And anyone linking that digital trends article...that purely references film, resolution has a much larger effect on gaming, including increased aliasing and loss of texture detail the lower you go. Film does this nifty trick, where the image is downsampled from a 2000+p source....meaning, free anti-aliasing.

If you can't see the obvious aliasing steps at larger distances for native 720p video that this article tries to mention, you should get out of this discussion pronto.

But that is besides the point...

I just googled 720p televisions, you can get a samsung 51 inch plasma 720p for $500. In fact there are many options for 720p televisions, please tell us again how there are none.

Apologize more for this company, it's quite funny.
---
Xbox One = Xbone = Crossbone = Jolly Roger.
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mind_blown.gif
#64skermacPosted 1/19/2014 8:30:58 AM
LEGEND_725 posted...
95% of people not on Gamefaqs will look at a game running like BF4 running at 1080p or 720p and say "wow they look great"

That's true because they are both HD and 95% of people have no idea if games are 720p or 1080p, they just know it looks good in HD. There are very few people that care if a game is 720por 1080p, and its just the handful on gamesfaqs.

720p looks good enough to me, you can barely tell the difference. My Panasonic lcd is 5 year old, 32" 720p and look almost as good as a 1080p, why? Its a Panasonic! Seriously! My neighbor has a 32" Dynex he got for less than $200 at Walmart last year. My Panasonic looks MUCH better. He asked why mine looked better and I said its a major brand. If you get a major brand like Panasonic or Sony you really cant tell the difference,

But I don't think anyone makes 720p tv's anymore. But it's almost time for a new tv even though my picture still looks new! I will only buy a Panasonic or Sony, other brands picture quality don't look as good.
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#65plus1zeroPosted 1/19/2014 9:14:49 AM
Played ghosts on ps4, bought on x1. Have both and 1080p.

Difference is there. It's not night and day like a 720p/1080 Blu Ray but you can tell a difference.

720p isn't really all that great but I hope ms will bring some good 1080 to the console. I'll be going with ps4 multiplats.

I feel like this is the ps2/xb era again and I'm 100000% fine with that
#66krystylaPosted 1/19/2014 9:42:58 AM
skermac posted...
LEGEND_725 posted...
95% of people not on Gamefaqs will look at a game running like BF4 running at 1080p or 720p and say "wow they look great"

That's true because they are both HD and 95% of people have no idea if games are 720p or 1080p, they just know it looks good in HD. There are very few people that care if a game is 720por 1080p, and its just the handful on gamesfaqs.

720p looks good enough to me, you can barely tell the difference. My Panasonic lcd is 5 year old, 32" 720p and look almost as good as a 1080p, why? Its a Panasonic! Seriously! My neighbor has a 32" Dynex he got for less than $200 at Walmart last year. My Panasonic looks MUCH better. He asked why mine looked better and I said its a major brand. If you get a major brand like Panasonic or Sony you really cant tell the difference,

But I don't think anyone makes 720p tv's anymore. But it's almost time for a new tv even though my picture still looks new! I will only buy a Panasonic or Sony, other brands picture quality don't look as good.

Samsung, Vizio and Sharp all have better price performance ratio than Sony but Panasonic definitely has the best.
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara PSN: JudasInHell Gamertag: Crystyn 7B
Written by Surface Pro 2 256GB
#67skermacPosted 1/19/2014 10:16:19 AM
krystyla posted...
skermac posted...
LEGEND_725 posted...

True, but I don't look at price within reason, I go for the best. I've owned 5 TV's in my life including Sony and Panasonic. Those 2 had the best looking picture to me, so I don't minding spending $200 or $300 more than I would for a Vizio for the same size tv.

Samsung, Vizio and Sharp all have better price performance ratio than Sony but Panasonic definitely has the best.

---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#68krystylaPosted 1/19/2014 10:20:18 AM
skermac posted...
krystyla posted...
skermac posted...
LEGEND_725 posted...

True, but I don't look at price within reason, I go for the best. I've owned 5 TV's in my life including Sony and Panasonic. Those 2 had the best looking picture to me, so I don't minding spending $200 or $300 more than I would for a Vizio for the same size tv.

But Samsung also has a better picture quality than sony
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara PSN: JudasInHell Gamertag: Crystyn 7B
Written by Surface Pro 2 256GB
#69MurryEB_Alt1Posted 1/19/2014 10:34:18 AM
Laylow12 posted...
krystyla posted...
Laylow12 posted...
violentdissmay posted...
tadmfpole posted...
^Why did you buy an 1080p TV then?

I understand what youre saying, but arent most HDTVs at 1080p now?
It would be easy for someone to buy a 1080p tv to have a nice tv, but not really give a crap about the resolution difference between 720 and 1080.

It's hard to face the fact that you spent $500 on something that doesn't output in 1080p. That's why they say that they can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. It's a defense mechanism to protect the person from going crazy. Claiming you can't tell the difference is also crazy, but its still the better option than admitting you made an expensive mistake.

Dear gods it does output in 1080p if not the TV would say 720p but upscaling form native 720p is done by the Xbox, which the TV doesn't know as he gets a 1080p input.

Rarely any TV channel outputs in 1080p most do so in 1080i and that's pretty much only 720p

The upscaler in the XBOX ONE is horrible. It produces muddy and blurry images. Native 1080p like the PC and PS4 is called True - HD for a reason.

Just for the record, TrueHD is an audio codec
---
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite sig on the Citadel
#70tadmfpole(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2014 1:33:32 PM
I think the term he meant was full HD. And lol at the people jumping to the conclusion that I started this as a pro Sony thread, I don't have an allegiance to any company except the one that signs my paycheck every week, and they don't make anything related to video games.
---
my current game collection
http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/tadmfpole/games/owned