Need Help choosing a Headset.

#1ste_1Posted 1/15/2014 11:28:12 AM
Ok I have never purchased a gaming headset before in my life.

I have no idea what to look for and what company's make them.

I have between 100 - 200 to spend

I currently have a xbox one and play C.O.D ghosts- FPS are the only games I play.

Is there a big difference in sound quality for 100 headphones compared to 200?

Can anyone recommend the best headphones in my budget for FPS games (hearing footsteps in cod etc) Do I actually need 200 headphones for this?
#2ukemandwnbuPosted 1/15/2014 11:30:16 AM
Buy the Turtle Beach Ear Force XO SEVEN headset when it releases in February.
#3brownmysterPosted 1/15/2014 11:31:20 AM
I'd go for the Polk audio headset.
#4Ironman06Posted 1/15/2014 11:31:44 AM
I believe Turtle Beach will be your only option short of purchasing an adapter and buying a previous gen headset. I've looked over the products they offer and I personally believe the Turtle Beach X07's are the best value. The only other option you have are the Turtle Beach X04's which seem to be the equivalent of a $40 dollar headset priced at $90's, based on the cost of similar headsets that TB manufacturers. You'll have to wait a few more months before either of these headsets are released though as TB is waiting for Microsoft to release an adapter that will allow these headsets to work.
#5ukemandwnbuPosted 1/15/2014 11:34:27 AM
Here, TC.

Turtle Beach Ear Force XO SEVEN
http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/xbox-one-headsets/ear-force-xo-seven/389

Turtle Beach Ear Force XO FOUR
http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/xbox-one-headsets/ear-force-xo-four/390
#6ste_1(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2014 11:36:48 AM
Thanks for all the quick reply's I guess ill wait for the XO sevens, February isn't too far away I guess
#7motoraptorPosted 1/15/2014 11:37:30 AM
Turtle Beach is probably the most popular, and what I use personally.

However people will recommend Astro as well, but those can be quite expensive. At $249 or so it's within your price range but you'll need to look up comparisons or something.

So yeah, IMO Turtle Beach and Astro are the big players right now. Or at least the only ones I would consider.
---
http://i.imgur.com/OnsrjIu.gif
#8CapwnDPosted 1/15/2014 11:47:12 AM
ste_1 posted...
Is there a big difference in sound quality for 100 headphones compared to 200?

Can anyone recommend the best headphones in my budget for FPS games (hearing footsteps in cod etc) Do I actually need 200 headphones for this?

The more expensive headphones take 5.1 audio and simulate the surround sound.

The cheaper headsets don't do that. They still sound good and immersive, and you will hear footsteps but the more expensive headphones are better.

Whatever you choose, you should also check every game's audio settings so that you have it set up correctly. Many people don't do this correctly.

If you have the surround sound headset, you should choose "Home theater" or "5.1 or 7.1". If you're using the cheaper headsets, you should choose "headphones" so that the game simulates the surround sound for you. But not all games have these options.

The other thing to keep in mind is that there is no 5.1 through toslink optical yet. It's coming in an update. So I'm not sure if the current surround sound headphones even are getting their full potential right now.

If you're just starting out, one of the linked options above is probably best. But if you are looking for more perfection, you may want to start looking into combos such as the PC360 + mixamp, or you could use the mixamp + your own headphones + modmic . And if you want to really get creative, you can add a second amp like I do! My current setup which doesn't work with the Xbox One yet (until the adapter comes out) is a Sennheiser PC360 + Astro mixamp + DSS2. Or my alternate setup using Sennheiser HD590 + Modmic + Astro Mixamp + DSS2.

Modmic is a mic that you can easily attach to your own headphones. So if you already have good headphones, this may be the best way to go after that adapter comes out. All you'd need is the modmic and something like the Astro Mixamp.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh