So... what is the "big deal" about Titanfall? (Honest question)

#1GeminiX7Posted 1/18/2014 7:04:55 PM
I'll start off by saying that:

1. I own neither a PS4 nor an XB1 and own both of the previous gen consoles(I will buy one or the other eventually)
2. I actually enjoy FPS games. I'm not one of those haughty taughty e-hipsters that thinks every shooter is just a brown-grey HALO/COD/GEARS clone and automatically hates all games under the genre

That said, I've been trying to keep close attention to both MS and Sony news and there seems to be ALOT of fanfare for Titanfall, at least on this board and in the comment sections on a few gaming new sites. People seem to talk about the game as if thee is something extremely revolutionary or groundbreaking, or as if it is the first "MUST HAVE" game of this new gaming generation. But I'm not really understanding why.

Watching videos the game does look pretty fun, which I suppose is enough to make it anticipated, but to the degree that people seem to obsess over it? Ehhh.... not so much. Parkour and freerunning have been done in FPS games before(hopefully this game will do it better), and sci-fi shooters in general have been done to death(probably 2nd most overused setting after WWII). The mech suits look cool, but they don't seem to be the big focus of the game, and honestly mech suits in shooters have also been done before.

Now, again, I am not saying Titanfall will suck or even that it looks bad but I'm wondering what all the obsession is about. What features(either revolutionary or refined) make this a MUST HAVE game? I see alot of topics asking "Ponies" if they are jealous they aren't getting the game on the PS4 but I still don't understand why they would be jealous. It's kinda, to me at least, like asking if MS fanboys are jealous inFamous isn't coming to Xbox. Sure, the game isn't bad but it also isn't some revolutionary experience that can't be found anywhere else in any other form.
---
3DS FC: 0748-3100-6541
PSN: GeminiX7
#2Troll_DirectoryPosted 1/18/2014 7:10:49 PM(edited)
the big deal is apparently lots and lots of people have had a chance to play it since last year, and have an overwhelmingly positive reaction and opinion, based on their first-hand experience.
#3Foxx3kPosted 1/18/2014 7:18:38 PM
You can look at it as tackling two pillars, if you will.

On one hand, they are trying to merge the gameplay of MOBAs into a competitive FPS shooter. They are accomplishing this by utilizing AI "grunts". They pad the warzone and make the pilots feel like elite soldiers. They're designed at making everything feel like a more 'alive' warzone, and the player, a key soldier in that battle (even if that player is bad).

On the other hand, they are reaching for asynchronous combat. Unlike other games that do this, it's not "Team A vs. different Team B," it's both teams having access to two dramatically different types of combat and types of character. This is aimed at creating a richer, more dynamic, and more multi-levelled multiplayer shooting experience.

And of course, if you reach back to their design goals and vision, they are hoping to bring back some of the feel of classic FPS gaming. Back when "twitch shooter" did not mean "high TTK," but it meant fast agility, breakneck speed, and a bigger crux on the PLAYER to excel at the gameplay mechanics. How well they achieve this I can only speculate, but that none the less plays into the "big deal" of the game.

If you abstract the game far enough you can start to see the pieces of Call of Duty in it. Red dot sights, ADS, TTK, recoil ... it looks like it will "feel" like a Call of Duty game with regards to gun mechanics. But if you actually look close enough, you'll see that with the way they are approaching meta-balance between the unit types, a rich immersive warzone with the grunts/soldiers, and a return to high agility skill based movement, it's clear that the game is a "big deal." And it's a "big deal" not because it's great or successful or exclusive or whatever - it's a "big deal" because it shows that a developer is taking a step back from game design and abstracting it. It's not a copy, it's a re-evaluation of what is important to the genre and what is fun in the genre.
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#4RatchetrockonPosted 1/18/2014 7:20:57 PM
^
TL;DR

To answer your question OP without dragging out this post too much.

Titanfall is a FPS with Mechs.
#5NeoMonkPosted 1/18/2014 7:22:34 PM
*buys next gen console*
*play last gen graphics*

In a nutshell.
---
"The Xbox One board isn't the place for personal anecdotes, joke topics or fanboy affair." Gamefaqs Moderator
#6PulpPosted 1/18/2014 7:38:14 PM
My take...

The fanbois are in desperate need for bragging rights (ie. exclusives). So they go into hype overdrive with any potential exclusive.

My personal opinion is Titanfall looks incredibly boring. 6 v 6 is pathetic and it doesn't matter how you justify it. Beyond that, Titanfall is a pretty odd game for fanbois to hype up....I mean, it's on the PC too. It's not even a console exclusive.

/shrug
---
Contest Abuse - You have lost the right to dispute or appeal further moderations.
#7HaloDad020508Posted 1/18/2014 7:46:01 PM
Pulp posted...
My take...

The fanbois are in desperate need for bragging rights (ie. exclusives). So they go into hype overdrive with any potential exclusive.

My personal opinion is Titanfall looks incredibly boring. 6 v 6 is pathetic and it doesn't matter how you justify it. Beyond that, Titanfall is a pretty odd game for fanbois to hype up....I mean, it's on the PC too. It's not even a console exclusive.

/shrug

Its ok Pony I am sure Infamous will help with the pain of Titanfall not coming to yout beloved PS4.
Its ok.
---
Playing COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4 and Diablo 3.
#8Mindwipe77Posted 1/18/2014 7:57:59 PM
HaloDad020508 posted...
Pulp posted...
My take...

/shrug

Its ok Pony I am sure Infamous will help with the pain of Titanfall not coming to yout beloved PS4.
Its ok.

a name like halodad and you got the nerve to call him a pony? LOL laughable, the game is overhyped and will be crushed by halo or cod in good time, xbots are hyping this up to be the holy grail of xbox one cause it's an exclusive and nothing more. Once the reviews come out and it get scores of 6-7's they will resort to the usual "reviewers dont know how to play, they're wrong etc" this is typical xbot nonsense
---
Lightning Returns, MY GOTY 2014
Proud owner of Xbox One,PS 4 and Wii U
#9krystylaPosted 1/18/2014 8:01:17 PM
Campers gonna be raped because everyone can reach them...

3Dimensial movement looks awesome
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara PSN: JudasInHell Gamertag: Crystyn 7B
Written by Surface Pro 2 256GB
#10uwhawk09Posted 1/18/2014 10:29:12 PM
The majority of people who have played it said they loved it and was the best next-gen game at most game shows. This has created hype for people that will get a chance to play it. The people who will not get to play it (PS4lifers) will judge the game by alpha video that the game is exactly like Call of Duty with mechs. Therefore "they never wanted it anyways" and eliminates any portrayal of jealousy.