Microsoft Account Help...

#1chem1calburnPosted 1/20/2014 1:54:58 AM
I got an Xbox One today and had to enter my Microsoft Account info. I recovered my password and I eventually got on. I play on 360 usually, but never had to sign in recently.

So I want to go back on my 360 to play some GTA and it needs to confirm my information for my own protection...

Password and email dont match over and over.

Go onto Microsoft website.
Recover password.
Receive code.
Enter code.
Get in to change password.
Website asks for old password and new password.
... I lack my old password.
Go to recover password again.
Receive code.
Enter code.
... same thing.

I honestly use a handful of different passwords. Like 4-5, all of which I tried. I tried for an hour, getting new codes, entering them...

I sent an email to Microsoft to get it all changed and rectified.

Am I missing something? I've never been this annoyed at such a process. And there is no phone number to call on the website. Although after Googling I found the (800) MICROSOFT one. But still, Jesus Christ, why do they make it so difficult?

I want to be able to bounce between my One and 360 with ease. Will this happen every time?
---
X-Box Live GT: Poppa DR3W
#2chem1calburn(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2014 7:25:26 AM
Bump
---
#3swaggernautPosted 1/20/2014 9:50:06 AM
Usually when I sign on the 360 and it ask me to confirm info, I just press B to go back then the Guide button and sign on again and it signs me on without asking me for confirmations. Not sure if that was the problem for ya. Good luck.
#4bob15xPosted 1/20/2014 9:54:08 AM
chem1calburn posted...
I got an Xbox One today and had to enter my Microsoft Account info. I recovered my password and I eventually got on. I play on 360 usually, but never had to sign in recently.

So I want to go back on my 360 to play some GTA and it needs to confirm my information for my own protection...

Password and email dont match over and over.

Go onto Microsoft website.
Recover password.
Receive code.
Enter code.
... I lack my old password.
Go to recover password again.
Receive code.
Enter code.
... same thing.

I honestly use a handful of different passwords. Like 4-5, all of which I tried. I tried for an hour, getting new codes, entering them...

I sent an email to Microsoft to get it all changed and rectified.

Am I missing something? I've never been this annoyed at such a process. And there is no phone number to call on the website. Although after Googling I found the (800) MICROSOFT one. But still, Jesus Christ, why do they make it so difficult?

I want to be able to bounce between my One and 360 with ease. Will this happen every time?

they make it difficult to protect your account. There is a two point verification which most companies are doing now. That way anytime you try and adjust something on your account you will get a text, or email or even log in from another IP address.. You have to make sure you notify them if you change an email or a phone number and you need to remember passwords.

but if you phone them, they will reset it and get your info over the phone and make sure you are who you say you are. It will get fixed.
#5chem1calburn(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2014 12:52:10 PM
/sigh

So I tried too many times and locked myself out for a day. The girl was sweet and as helpful as could be on the phone. She gave me some free games as compensation for my lost time.

But it is weird because I can still play my Xbox One, but not my 360... and I wanna play GTA so bad :/

So she said to call back tomorrow to see what they can do then. It has been such a hassle.
---
#6bob15xPosted 1/20/2014 2:11:46 PM
chem1calburn posted...
/sigh

So I tried too many times and locked myself out for a day. The girl was sweet and as helpful as could be on the phone. She gave me some free games as compensation for my lost time.

But it is weird because I can still play my Xbox One, but not my 360... and I wanna play GTA so bad :/

So she said to call back tomorrow to see what they can do then. It has been such a hassle.

I remember this happening with my nephews account, and ya it was a pain, but you just have to look at the silver lining. It is done to help secure our accounts. So even if we are hacked, any change in data has to be approved from a second source like a text to our cell phone.
#7chem1calburn(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2014 3:17:34 PM
bob15x posted...
chem1calburn posted...
/sigh

I remember this happening with my nephews account, and ya it was a pain, but you just have to look at the silver lining. It is done to help secure our accounts. So even if we are hacked, any change in data has to be approved from a second source like a text to our cell phone.

Yeah, I appreciate account security, but this is so broken. The setup horrendous. I asked the girl if this is a frequent issue and she said it is a bulk of their calls. If a case like this is a BULK of their calls, it needs to be overhauled.
---
#8aszsithPosted 1/20/2014 4:11:56 PM
chem1calburn posted...
bob15x posted...
chem1calburn posted...
/sigh

Yeah, I appreciate account security, but this is so broken. The setup horrendous. I asked the girl if this is a frequent issue and she said it is a bulk of their calls. If a case like this is a BULK of their calls, it needs to be overhauled.

The bulk of their calls come from people who forgot their passwords and need access to their accounts. Why does the company need to overhaul their system which protects users? Shouldn't the users who can't remember their information be the ones to make the change? They are the problem, not the system.

Personally, I don't want my account to all of a sudden be less secure because other people can't remember their passwords. I'm sorry for your inconvenience, but your issue shouldn't affect my account security, which overhauling the process could result in.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#9chem1calburn(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2014 4:54:15 PM
aszsith posted...
chem1calburn posted...
bob15x posted...
chem1calburn posted...
/sigh

The bulk of their calls come from people who forgot their passwords and need access to their accounts. Why does the company need to overhaul their system which protects users? Shouldn't the users who can't remember their information be the ones to make the change? They are the problem, not the system.

Personally, I don't want my account to all of a sudden be less secure because other people can't remember their passwords. I'm sorry for your inconvenience, but your issue shouldn't affect my account security, which overhauling the process could result in.

Did you read my initial post? Their process for password recovery is hugely flawed. I'm generally pretty tech savvy, and I sat there for over an hour by myself trying all different routes to change my password, but there was no way to.

Yeah, sending a code to log me into my account is such a great way to recover a password, but then when I try to change it you ask me for my old password that I'm trying to recover? BRILLIANT!

I tried an email reset, getting it done through texting my phone, and by calling in.

Now I need to call back tomorrow. But I can log into my Xbox One fine. It makes no sense.

It is flawed. They can add extra security in a better, user friendly fashion.
---
#10chem1calburn(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2014 10:42:07 PM
*Update*
All is well. I called in and the guy was super helpful and cool. We remedied the situation within 30 minutes.

We chatted a bit about upcoming games and accessories.

So now I can hop on my One AND 360 without any issue!

Yay!
---