Do patches make their way onto disks?

#1cremasterfanPosted 1/20/2014 4:19:35 AM
I see that games have massive patches nowadays, do they update the retail disk version of games over time or will these patches always have to be downloaded?
#2LapanuiPosted 1/20/2014 4:29:14 AM
I don't think I've ever bought a game after so long after release that didn't require an update or patches.

If a company has re-released a game, like a Complete Edition, GOTY Edition, etc., they most likely would do it. If a game doesn't have anything extra after so long and they don't re-release it, I doubt they would make new copies of the game with all of the patches.

Again, I don't know. Some companies might do it.
---
GT: Zichu PSN: Zichu NNID: Zichu1
#3Spetsnaz420Posted 1/23/2014 5:02:25 AM
Even in the days before console patches existed games in the category of greatest hits would often have bugs and what not patched... I don't see why this wouldn't be true today.
---
I don't conform to social convention
PS4 or Xbox... Why not Zoidberg?
#4Jptremblay13Posted 1/23/2014 5:42:23 AM
Soooo..you're asking if the patch you download are getting burned on the retail disk.... ?

really?
#5nurnbergPosted 1/23/2014 5:48:26 AM
I don't think companies update their disks at all unless they are releasing a new version (GOTY edition, etc).
#6gray_fox_00Posted 1/23/2014 8:56:06 AM
Jptremblay13 posted...
Soooo..you're asking if the patch you download are getting burned on the retail disk.... ?

really?

No, he's asking if the update the info on retail disk printing i.e. if a game gets a second print run and there have been patches since then and the initial release.

And to answer that, the only time I've seen this is in the Game of the Year editions of games.
---
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice