Wow, Microsoft is so desperate

#11CapnStankyPosted 1/20/2014 3:40:28 PM
I just saw an ad for Apple on TV. OMIGOD APPLE IS SO DESPERATE!
#12PoweredMilkManPosted 1/20/2014 3:44:44 PM
It's a smart and cheap way to promote their product. It's brilliant !
---
XBL/PSN/WiiU - bloodandbourbon
#13Shinobi120Posted 1/20/2014 3:48:54 PM
DelRowe posted...
That's not the case, however. According to a leaked copy of the full legal agreement behind the promotion, video creators "may not say anything negative or disparaging about Machinima, Xbox One, or any of its Games" and must keep the details of the promotional agreement confidential in order to qualify for payment. In other words, to get the money, video makers have to speak positively (or at least neutrally) about the Xbox One, and they can't say they're being paid to do so.

The arrangement as described might go against the FTC's guidelines for the use of endorsements in advertising, which demand full disclosure when there is "a connection between the endorser and the seller of the advertised product that might materially affect the weight or credibility of the endorsement."

So the shills aren't allowed to say they are being paid, which is illegal. Slimy, pathetic M$.

Damn, exposed.
#14Viet0nePosted 1/20/2014 3:53:41 PM(edited)
aszsith posted...
Whether you like what Microsoft is doing is irrelevant. They are paying people to say a product is good. Even if you personally think the product isn't very good, you can't expect the company to agree with you.

Ever see a commercial for a fiber-based beverage that promotes digestive regularity? I've never seen one where the paid actor says "This tastes terrible and is literally one of the most disgusting things designed for you to consume." even though that is an accurate description in my experience. They always say "This is delicious!".

There is one major difference that makes what Microsoft is doing illegal IF this is true.

They are specifically telling people who are participating to not mention that Microsoft is paying them. This is what is going to get Microsoft in trouble.

Any person or business that advertises a product or business and is paid by that product or business must reveal they got paid for it.

Who would you believe more?

Person A
Plays the Xbox One and says good things about it.

Person B
Plays the Xbox One and says good things about it but also says they are paid by Microsoft too.

FTC has regulations that prohibit Person B from doing what Person A is.
---
Currently Playing: ACIV, Starbound, Borderlands2
PSN/XBL : VietOne
#15TwinmoldPosted 1/20/2014 3:56:24 PM(edited)
It's ok ponies, one day, Sony will be able to afford advertising too. :(
---
#16DorediaPosted 1/20/2014 3:56:17 PM
DelRowe posted...
That's not the case, however. According to a leaked copy of the full legal agreement behind the promotion, video creators "may not say anything negative or disparaging about Machinima, Xbox One, or any of its Games" and must keep the details of the promotional agreement confidential in order to qualify for payment. In other words, to get the money, video makers have to speak positively (or at least neutrally) about the Xbox One, and they can't say they're being paid to do so.

The arrangement as described might go against the FTC's guidelines for the use of endorsements in advertising, which demand full disclosure when there is "a connection between the endorser and the seller of the advertised product that might materially affect the weight or credibility of the endorsement."

So the shills aren't allowed to say they are being paid, which is illegal. Slimy, pathetic M$.

Man, stealth marketing is so sad...
---
Pokemon X FC: 2707-1862-7418 || IGN - Scarlet.
#17MixorzPosted 1/20/2014 3:57:52 PM
Exodus_Prime posted...
Wait so Microsoft wants to "pay" people money to advertise their product in the USA? that's terrible, such a tyrant of a company. Wait first they're evil because they dropped the DRM now they're desperate because they want to give people "money" to adverstise, make up your mind bronies.

---
XBox Live GT: Mixorz
Favorite lift: Deadlift
#18leatheljPosted 1/20/2014 4:00:33 PM
Viet0ne posted...
aszsith posted...
Whether you like what Microsoft is doing is irrelevant. They are paying people to say a product is good. Even if you personally think the product isn't very good, you can't expect the company to agree with you.

Ever see a commercial for a fiber-based beverage that promotes digestive regularity? I've never seen one where the paid actor says "This tastes terrible and is literally one of the most disgusting things designed for you to consume." even though that is an accurate description in my experience. They always say "This is delicious!".

There is one major difference that makes what Microsoft is doing illegal IF this is true.

They are specifically telling people who are participating to not mention that Microsoft is paying them. This is what is going to get Microsoft in trouble.

Any person or business that advertises a product or business and is paid by that product or business must reveal they got paid for it.

Person A

Person B
Plays the Xbox One and says good things about it but also says they are paid by Microsoft too.

It's not illegal every one knows Microsoft is not hideing it.
---
Every one has there own opinions unless theirs is stupid.
#19aszsithPosted 1/20/2014 4:06:49 PM
leathelj posted...
Viet0ne posted...
aszsith posted...

Person A

Person B

It's not illegal every one knows Microsoft is not hideing it.

IF Microsoft stipulated that the paid advertisers obscure the fact that they are paid, then they could find themselves in trouble (civilly, not criminally). However, it seems unlikely that a company so large with a substantial legal team on payroll would make such a glaring rookie mistake with the marketing team. Then again, these things do sometimes happen, and if so, someone (or several someone's) are going to be updating their resume's very soon.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#20PinkPikachu(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2014 4:07:59 PM
pretty desperate and pathetic =/