Going to defend MS for a moment re: paying for YT coverage

#1GalvatronType_RPosted 1/22/2014 11:20:26 AM
I really don't have a problem with Microsoft paying for coverage from tubers. I subscribe to a bunch of different channels and a fashion channel might mention product partners whose products they use and recommend. Nothing wrong with that.

My only difference is that I would have wanted Microsoft to make no conditions on what the tubers post; good or bad, let them post honest reasonable coverage. That would have gained them what little credibility they have left with the gaming community right now.

This goes to a larger issue. Why hasn't someone in the Xbox PR group been fired? Ever since the beginning of last year, there have been mixed messages, clumsy statements, ominous silences, stupid non-nonsensical moves, etc. All with Baghdad Larry running his piehole trying to lie and cover up clumsy (but true) statements made by others at Microsoft.

My dog could run a better PR campaign than they did. Why hasn't someone (besides Adam Orth who turned out was telling the truth) been fired?
#2RawringAirPosted 1/22/2014 11:23:50 AM
lol at thinking Microsoft is going to pay you to say bad things about their products
---
Best poster on GameFAQs
You are the most irritating GameFAQs poster, correct your sig. - Crack_Fox
#3UmitenchoPosted 1/22/2014 11:24:17 AM
The issue isn't that fact they were buying opinions. All Companies do it. Its the fact that they were trying to hide the fact they were sponsoring these people and that is illegal. They tried to make it as if people suddenly started to like the Xboxone on their own. Its disgenious and illegal. And just like Sony back in 2002(I think it was blogs), they should get their asses handed to them for it.
#4archibald3Posted 1/22/2014 11:53:24 AM
Umitencho posted...
The issue isn't that fact they were buying opinions. All Companies do it. Its the fact that they were trying to hide the fact they were sponsoring these people and that is illegal. They tried to make it as if people suddenly started to like the Xboxone on their own. Its disgenious and illegal. And just like Sony back in 2002(I think it was blogs), they should get their asses handed to them for it.

"This partnership between Machinima and Microsoft was a typical marketing partnership to promote Xbox One in December. The Xbox team does not review any specific content or provide feedback on content. Any confidentiality provisions, terms or other guidelines are standard documents provided by Machinima. For clarity, confidentiality relates to the agreements themselves, not the existence of the promotion."
#5UmitenchoPosted 1/22/2014 12:03:48 PM
archibald3 posted...
Umitencho posted...

"This partnership between Machinima and Microsoft was a typical marketing partnership to promote Xbox One in December. The Xbox team does not review any specific content or provide feedback on content. Any confidentiality provisions, terms or other guidelines are standard documents provided by Machinima. For clarity, confidentiality relates to the agreements themselves, not the existence of the promotion."

Doesn't make it any less illegal. Ignorance is not a valid exscuse to skirt the law.
#6Juzten76Posted 1/22/2014 12:06:48 PM
Umitencho posted...
archibald3 posted...
Umitencho posted...

Doesn't make it any less illegal. Ignorance is not a valid exscuse to skirt the law.

Illegal? Did you just......illegal? Wow. I don't know what to say.
#7pwnater777Posted 1/22/2014 12:14:35 PM
Juzten76 posted...
Umitencho posted...
archibald3 posted...
Umitencho posted...

Illegal? Did you just......illegal? Wow. I don't know what to say.

Did you not know it was illegal? Or are you another Xbox diehard that simply won't accept it?
---
"That's NASCAR tactics."
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe
#8NightMareBunnyPosted 1/22/2014 12:19:38 PM
speaking of Microsoft PR Campaign...why the hell don't they have a blog like sony does for the playstation news and store updates?(the best they got is major nelson's blog and the xbox website...which doesn't really help as much as The PSN Blog)
---
PS3 VV_Argost
XB1 GamerClawdeen WiiU: GothicNightmare
#9JusticeSwordPosted 1/22/2014 12:24:01 PM
It was the fact that they were passing advertising off as genuine opinions, not the fact that it was advertising, they couldn't say they were being paid to say good things, illegal or not, its a pathetic tactic.

That they have to resort to paying people to talk the X1 up is bad enough, but throwing in that they try to hide the fact its a bought opinion makes it worse.
---
PSN:TheDragonzord
>_> Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles HD remix please
#10pwnater777Posted 1/22/2014 12:46:55 PM
JusticeSword posted...
It was the fact that they were passing advertising off as genuine opinions, not the fact that it was advertising, they couldn't say they were being paid to say good things, illegal or not, its a pathetic tactic.

That they have to resort to paying people to talk the X1 up is bad enough, but throwing in that they try to hide the fact its a bought opinion makes it worse.

Someone who understands.
---
"That's NASCAR tactics."
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe