I wish devs would stop the handholding tutorials.

#1daviesmoffatPosted 1/22/2014 2:57:33 PM
I remember trying the demo for Castlevania Lords of Shadow and I became incredibly annoyed how almost every small detail in the first few minutes needed its own UNSKIPPABLE pop-up telling you its function. People will tell you this is necessary, that kids need those, that they wouldn't know how to play the game any other way. What? When I was a kid in the 90s, I didn't have tutorials and I could play games. I'm not saying that in some holier-than-thou, "I was smarter than them" smack talk. I'm saying kids these days, just as they have always been, are a lot more intelligent and perceptive than modern publisher give them credit for.

If you have tight level design that teaches by DOING instead of TELLING, any kid is going to learn the rules of a game by messing around with the controls. I know he probably has a bad reputation here, but Egoraptor had a point in his MMX video: the opening level taught you how to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM
#2mewmew42Posted 1/22/2014 3:13:51 PM
No
#3PS_LetumPosted 1/23/2014 2:40:13 AM
One of the many negatives of gaming becoming mainstream - everyone is a 'gamer' now, so developers are making games with the lowest common denominator in-mind, leading to all these 'spelled out for you' tutorials that are necessary for all the not too bright people that have started to infest gaming in the last decade or so.

Just recall the Xbone announcement, all this TV and sports rubbish, there are so many 'dudebro' and soccer mom 'gamers' that even the console developer targets them firstly. We are no longer the target audience, the 'invaders' have turned the tides on us, and they are readying to execute the final strike...
It won't be too long now...
Say goodbye to what you once knew as... gaming...
---
Let no one weep for the Vita, or celebrate its funeral with mourning;
for it still lives, as indie garbage passes to and fro through it.
#41nternationa7Posted 1/23/2014 2:47:28 AM
Controllers are a lot different back then than they are today. The NES games utilized the D pad and an A + B button setup. Now we got a whole array of buttons and triggers. Also 5 minutes of tutorial is no big deal when the game is 15 hours long.
---
SV 3340 Pokemon Y Friend Code: 5172-1018-8947
#5_PDZero_Posted 1/23/2014 3:02:47 AM
1nternationa7 posted...
Controllers are a lot different back then than they are today. The NES games utilized the D pad and an A + B button setup. Now we got a whole array of buttons and triggers. Also 5 minutes of tutorial is no big deal when the game is 15 hours long.

Or you can resort to RTFM or looking at the control setup in the control pad menu, these tutorials are a waste of time.
#6PoweredMilkManPosted 1/23/2014 3:02:51 AM
PS_Letum posted...
One of the many negatives of gaming becoming mainstream - everyone is a 'gamer' now, so developers are making games with the lowest common denominator in-mind, leading to all these 'spelled out for you' tutorials that are necessary for all the not too bright people that have started to infest gaming in the last decade or so.

Just recall the Xbone announcement, all this TV and sports rubbish, there are so many 'dudebro' and soccer mom 'gamers' that even the console developer targets them firstly. We are no longer the target audience, the 'invaders' have turned the tides on us, and they are readying to execute the final strike...
It won't be too long now...
Say goodbye to what you once knew as... gaming...

Very true. "Casuals" are ruining gaming for hardcore players.
---
XBL/PSN/WiiU - bloodandbourbon
#7Cornbread4lifePosted 1/23/2014 3:16:55 AM
One of my favorite memories of my childhood was when I got my N64 on launch day when I was maybe 8 years old. I popped in Super Mario 64, and loved my first two hours of playing. What did I do in those first two hours? I must have run around that ****ing castle fifty times completely lost. What 8 year old would guess that you're supposed to get to the first level by jumping into a ****ing painting?

Maybe it's just me, but I used to love starting up a new game and being completely lost but simultaneously awestruck. Those were the games I remembered the most. You're not going to remember most of the games today because they're too damn easy.
---
GT: Cornbread4life
#8Spetsnaz420Posted 1/23/2014 3:30:02 AM
Wait what? Why would Egoraptor have a bad reputation here? He's a real gamer and a cool guy.
---
I don't conform to social convention
PS4 or Xbox... Why not Zoidberg?
#9nableetPosted 1/23/2014 4:01:01 AM
I have no problem with a handholding tutorial, as long as the rest of the game has less (read: no) handholding and the option to skip the tutorial on subsequent play throughs is always nice.

I think Dark souls did it well.
---
GT - Tyfighta23 PSN - N/A
#10jellybeanmasterPosted 1/23/2014 12:09:06 PM
I actually take a liking to the tutorials. Because somewhere in the past15 years or so they decided to stop making the manuals interesting and have color. They became so barebones and boring, i dint even want to read them anymore. No more char back stories or artwork or anything cool like that. So throwing the game manual right in the game is a warm welcome for me.

But i agree. Nintendo brought the casual audience into the industry and they have become a cancer, killing off everything i used to love about it. And the games are so easy its not even an accomplishment to say you beat anything. I just beat DmC on the hardest difficulty and was outraged i was able to do it in 2 four hour sittings. I couldnt even get through the first 30 minutes of devil may cry 1 on hardest difficulty in that same time
---
PSN:ProdijusX, GT:BUMBA CLAWT,