Microsoft may be investigated by the FTC over the recent Xbox One scandal.

#11ILikeGamesManPosted 1/23/2014 11:23:15 AM
OpheliaAdenade posted...
hahahahaha! this is great. :3 I can't wait to hear the results.

Dont read the article or you're going to be upset.
#12OpheliaAdenadePosted 1/23/2014 11:28:08 AM
ILikeGamesMan posted...
OpheliaAdenade posted...

Oh, no, I'm fine. :v I doubted anything would come of it in the first place. MS wouldn't have tried this if they didn't know they could get away with it.

But a full blown scandal would have been nice. They're very exciting.
---
They say she's low down, but it's just a rumor I don't believe 'em.
#13casper316Posted 1/23/2014 11:30:33 AM
gotta love the sony ponies, god bless their little hearts.
---
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BlaseCasper316
XBL Gamertag: Casper316
#14ILikeGamesManPosted 1/23/2014 11:33:14 AM
OpheliaAdenade posted...
ILikeGamesMan posted...
OpheliaAdenade posted...

Oh, no, I'm fine. :v I doubted anything would come of it in the first place. MS wouldn't have tried this if they didn't know they could get away with it.

But a full blown scandal would have been nice. They're very exciting.

Yeah we all love tales of scandals and corporate intrigue from time to time. :)

I might belong in the small minority on here that sees no real big issue with this. You have people bashing the X1 because its kind of the cool thing to do right now, but its really a good console. MS offered cash to get the good word out because really the youtube people would be promoting a good console. Its not like they have to say its great and it really sucks.

Not saying these big corporations aren't operating in the grey area or anything because I understand why it bothers people, I can just see why they do it. That and I would rather this than what Sony did to the Vita. Almost no commercials and what feels like no effort to support it.
#15PulpPosted 1/23/2014 11:36:03 AM
lunaticcore posted...
http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/23/5337574/the-ftc-on-paying-youtubers-to-endorse-games

"The guides are guidance to help advertisers and endorsers comply with federal advertising law," said Betsy Lordan, with the FTC Office of Public Affairs. "They are not legally enforceable, and there are no monetary penalties or penalties of any kind associated with them."

You can most definitely be fined, heavily, for misleading advertising. If the quote you included is real, it has to be directed to a very a specific question based on technicalities -- because there are laws being broken if endorsements do not include disclosure.
---
Contest Abuse - You have lost the right to dispute or appeal further moderations.
#16OpheliaAdenadePosted 1/23/2014 11:40:02 AM
ILikeGamesMan posted...

Not saying these big corporations aren't operating in the grey area or anything because I understand why it bothers people, I can just see why they do it. That and I would rather this than what Sony did to the Vita. Almost no commercials and what feels like no effort to support it.

It isn't that I have a problem with them advertising the xbone. That is a good thing for them to do, and it is to be expected. But I just don't get why they felt the need to pay youtubers to promote the xbone in secret. They weren't allowed to say they were taking part in a promotion at all to make it look like they were giving unbaised opinions. A lot of people go to youtube to get opinions from gamers like them for the express reason of getting genuine opinions/critiques, not a paid promotion. I'm going to call that shady whether it is MS, Sony, or Nintendo doing it. Why can't they stick to normal advertisement? Like commercials and normal sponsorships?
---
They say she's low down, but it's just a rumor I don't believe 'em.
#17ILikeGamesManPosted 1/23/2014 11:46:04 AM
OpheliaAdenade posted...
ILikeGamesMan posted...

It isn't that I have a problem with them advertising the xbone. That is a good thing for them to do, and it is to be expected. But I just don't get why they felt the need to pay youtubers to promote the xbone in secret. They weren't allowed to say they were taking part in a promotion at all to make it look like they were giving unbaised opinions. A lot of people go to youtube to get opinions from gamers like them for the express reason of getting genuine opinions/critiques, not a paid promotion. I'm going to call that shady whether it is MS, Sony, or Nintendo doing it. Why can't they stick to normal advertisement? Like commercials and normal sponsorships?

I totally see that point. I actually went to edit my reply and even though I have been here for a few months, I still cant yet. Been browsing here for years, but stuck not being able to edit for a little bit longer.

I wanted to clear up the fact that I compared generic advertising to what happened here, but I didnt mean that. I think its very reasonable to consider it shady, but I just wish I could have seen some videos first before making that decision since there is a thin line between them promoting or someone just straight up lying for cash.

Either way, I am happy with both my X1 and PS4. I joke about the PS4 not having games and stuff, but I am just having fun. I think both consoles are solid investments and I think MS just wanted people to drop all the negativity that started on the internet and experience the console for themselves. Might not have been the best way to do it, but I see their angle. Some people might miss out on a great console because of what they hear. A lot of the people trashing it are doing it just because they hate MS and not the X1 itself.

Appreciate your friendly replies by the way. You could have snapped at me for making my original comment like some others do, but you provided good discussion. Very nice.
#18Troll_DirectoryPosted 1/23/2014 11:49:59 AM
Pulp posted...
lunaticcore posted...
http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/23/5337574/the-ftc-on-paying-youtubers-to-endorse-games

"The guides are guidance to help advertisers and endorsers comply with federal advertising law," said Betsy Lordan, with the FTC Office of Public Affairs. "They are not legally enforceable, and there are no monetary penalties or penalties of any kind associated with them."

You can most definitely be fined, heavily, for misleading advertising. If the quote you included is real, it has to be directed to a very a specific question based on technicalities -- because there are laws being broken if endorsements do not include disclosure.
again, paid viral adverts and "soft sells" with no disclaimer on youtube prove this wrong thousands of times over. piling on ms and their xo with weak arguments and tired complaints has caused the opposite effect from what's intended. dreams of xo being outsold 4:1 have been shattered.
#19ejay8320Posted 1/23/2014 11:56:20 AM
Troll_Directory posted...
Pulp posted...
lunaticcore posted...

again, paid viral adverts and "soft sells" with no disclaimer on youtube prove this wrong thousands of times over. piling on ms and their xo with weak arguments and tired complaints has caused the opposite effect from what's intended. dreams of xo being outsold 4:1 have been shattered.

True MS may not be the first or last doing this, but the issue is many laws are way behind technology, specifically the growth of the internet. So while it may not be technically against the law at this moment if a firm were to pursue this and win it could set a precedent.

I'm no law major but what maybe lacking is the precedent to either make this illegal or not.
#20Troll_DirectoryPosted 1/23/2014 12:09:28 PM
ejay8320 posted...
Troll_Directory posted...
Pulp posted...
lunaticcore posted...

True MS may not be the first or last doing this, but the issue is many laws are way behind technology, specifically the growth of the internet. So while it may not be technically against the law at this moment if a firm were to pursue this and win it could set a precedent.

I'm no law major but what maybe lacking is the precedent to either make this illegal or not.
yes, but there are much bigger fish to fry. the people who would see this case as a possible precedent, probably also believe the internet poll that ea is the worst company in the world. any legal action would first target cases where damages could be proved (fast-food, tobacco, firearms) with companies like ea, sony, and ms wayyyyyyy down the list.