Microsoft may be investigated by the FTC over the recent Xbox One scandal.

#21ReillyGJPosted 1/23/2014 1:11:24 PM
"Better Call Saul"
#22ejay8320Posted 1/23/2014 1:18:30 PM
Troll_Directory posted...
ejay8320 posted...
Troll_Directory posted...
Pulp posted...
lunaticcore posted...
http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/23/5337574/the-ftc-on-paying-youtubers-to-endorse-games

"The guides are guidance to help advertisers and endorsers comply with federal advertising law," said Betsy Lordan, with the FTC Office of Public Affairs. "They are not legally enforceable, and there are no monetary penalties or penalties of any kind associated with them."

You can most definitely be fined, heavily, for misleading advertising. If the quote you included is real, it has to be directed to a very a specific question based on technicalities -- because there are laws being broken if endorsements do not include disclosure.
again, paid viral adverts and "soft sells" with no disclaimer on youtube prove this wrong thousands of times over. piling on ms and their xo with weak arguments and tired complaints has caused the opposite effect from what's intended. dreams of xo being outsold 4:1 have been shattered.

True MS may not be the first or last doing this, but the issue is many laws are way behind technology, specifically the growth of the internet. So while it may not be technically against the law at this moment if a firm were to pursue this and win it could set a precedent.

I'm no law major but what maybe lacking is the precedent to either make this illegal or not.
yes, but there are much bigger fish to fry. the people who would see this case as a possible precedent, probably also believe the internet poll that ea is the worst company in the world. any legal action would first target cases where damages could be proved (fast-food, tobacco, firearms) with companies like ea, sony, and ms wayyyyyyy down the list.

My point was merely that there just might be a lack of precedent to make a judgment on this at this point and time(from a legal standpoint). I'm not saying firms should jump on this and try to create one, like you said there are bigger better(profitable) fish to fry. Either way I do think laws need to be updated in terms of the changes technologies like internet has brought within society.
#23SoulTrapperPosted 1/23/2014 1:26:09 PM
What they're doing is most likely not illegal, it is morally despicable, but not against the law.

Also, I don't think Microsoft will get into any legal trouble while they're helping out the NSA.
#24scoobydoobydontPosted 1/23/2014 1:30:47 PM
My hand still tingles from the slap on the wrists the FTC gave me. MS better watch out.

Also cinemablend, lol.
---
''ALL games should at least have single player. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will.'' -aszsith
#25Troll_DirectoryPosted 1/23/2014 1:31:10 PM
ejay8320 posted...
My point was merely that there just might be a lack of precedent to make a judgment on this at this point and time(from a legal standpoint). I'm not saying firms should jump on this and try to create one, like you said there are bigger better(profitable) fish to fry. Either way I do think laws need to be updated in terms of the changes technologies like internet has brought within society.
i agree. and, i wasn't including you with those less cognizant. i was just adding color commentary for the 1 or 2 people way back in the cheap seats who are reading this, and thinking ms has done something illegal or scandalous.
#26daniel79Posted 1/23/2014 1:37:31 PM
casper316 posted...
gotta love the sony ponies, god bless their little hearts.

Doesn't matter what topic it is or what it's about, you can rest assured it'll have one of these 'Sony pony' lame duck insult posts in it.

Freak.
#27Laylow12Posted 1/23/2014 2:09:31 PM
SoulTrapper posted...
What they're doing is most likely not illegal, it is morally despicable, but not against the law.

Also, I don't think Microsoft will get into any legal trouble while they're helping out the NSA.

Good point!

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin