Microsoft Considering Making Digital Games Cheaper

#1Dev445Posted 1/24/2014 7:06:11 AM
by Luke Karmali

Microsoft has announced Xbox Live's digital prices may be revised, as the company is planning to reassess how competitive current listings are.

The news comes courtesy of Microsoft's Larry ‘Major Nelson’ Hryb, who jumped into a Reddit thread lamenting how digital downloads are often more expensive than retail offerings.

"We are way aware of this and many of the concerns of the community," he said, before reassuring commenters that competitive pricing is "on the agenda."

The company caught some flack in December when it made the decision to raise the price of a number of Xbox One digital titles. Hopefully this means the change could be reversed at some stage in the future.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/24/microsoft-considering-making-digital-games-cheaper
---
"You all say you want to be human, but why would you want to become something so flawed" - Edward Elric - FullMetal Alchemist
#2ECOsvaldoPosted 1/24/2014 7:07:25 AM
Here we go! Another 180 they're pulling!
---
PSN ID: ecosvaldo | 3DS Friend Code: 2707-1633-0103 | PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/ABH
#3scoobydoobydontPosted 1/24/2014 7:08:39 AM
Too little too late, Hryb!
---
''ALL games should at least have single player. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will.'' -aszsith
#4blitz_0623Posted 1/24/2014 7:10:08 AM
Sony/MS should have been considering this ages ago. Finally some action. I just hope none of them pull some DRM s*** after making these games cheaper claiming it justifies the restrictions.
---
Nintendo FC - 2423-3428-2025 | Tangela, Swadloon, Quilladin
PM me if you add
#5Reflex-ArcPosted 1/24/2014 7:11:30 AM
You'd have to be one jaded gamer to consider this negative news.
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#6cruelbirdPosted 1/24/2014 7:11:57 AM
Make digital cheaper. Should be obvious.
---
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/3695/sigbase.jpg
#7scoobydoobydontPosted 1/24/2014 7:18:50 AM
Reflex-Arc posted...

They are basically admitting they were and for now still are gouging consumers. I don't see how vague promises are good news.
---
''ALL games should at least have single player. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will.'' -aszsith
#8Reflex-ArcPosted 1/24/2014 7:25:51 AM
scoobydoobydont posted...
Reflex-Arc posted...

They are basically admitting they were and for now still are gouging consumers. I don't see how vague promises are good news.

Yet the possibility looms that they will be cheaper.

Cheaper = better

This is not negative news.
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#9ejay8320Posted 1/24/2014 7:27:18 AM
blitz_0623 posted...
Sony/MS should have been considering this ages ago. Finally some action. I just hope none of them pull some DRM s*** after making these games cheaper claiming it justifies the restrictions.

While I can't speak for MS, Sony has been quite active in this department.

- Some vita games are $5 cheaper for digital versions on release
(However Physical prices drop earlier and faster than physical, so physical is still better in the longer run)

- PS+ members can get Steam level sales
(Got KZ:Mercenaries for $9 and at Bestbuy it was $29,99)

I'm sure MS has done some nice sales aswell, but Sony has been more active in this department despite it being behind a "pay wall" =P
#10ElPolloDiablo87Posted 1/24/2014 7:31:11 AM
If MS really wants to get more people to buy into digital then this is a necessary step. Digital and physical should not be the same price when digital cannot be sold/shared. They need to make it cheaper or offer incentives (digital comes with the DLC season pass) to get me to bite. A decent first step would be allowing a digital marketplace on Amazon like Sony has.
---
Madre de Dios, es El Pollo Diablo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28WrhpTzQA