• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Ryse, Tomb Raider and the Hypocrisy of Critics

User Info: billsfanno1

billsfanno1
3 years ago#1
Ryse: 1 QTE event that you must be successful at to complete the game
Tomb Raider: dozens of QTE events that you must be successful at to complete the game
Critics/Fanboys: Ryse is a QTE-fest, Tomb Raider is a series reboot with much advanced gameplay mechanics compared with previous installments

Ryse: at 900p/30fps on X1 has the best graphics of any console game to date
Tomb Raider: at 1080p/60fps on PS4 is an incremental improvement over PS3/X360 and is in no way a next gen experience
Critics/Fanboys: Tomb Raider proves that PS4 is more powerful than X1

Ryse: variety of worlds with stunning environmental graphics, a noticeable lack of variety in enemies
Tomb Raider: one world with monotonous environmental graphics, a noticeable lack of variety in enemies
Critics/Fanboys: Ryse is all the same stuff over and over, Tomb Raider's setting adds to the compelling grit of the new Lara and more adult-oriented story

Ryse: multiplayer is a simple but addictive mode
Tomb Raider: multiplayer is simple and a snoozefest
Critics/Fanboys: Ryse's multiplayer feels like a poorly conceived last minute addition, Tomb Raider's multiplayer is a move in the right direction and doesn't hold back the single player experience

I've played through both games. Tomb Raider was traded in fairly quickly while I could still get good value for it. Ryse has earned a permanent spot in my collection. The hypocrisy of how people flaunt Tomb Raider while bashing Ryse is pathetic and serves to me as Exhibit A for why gaming critics and fanboys have become the bane of this industry.
(message deleted)

User Info: Doukou

Doukou
3 years ago#3
I liked both a lot

Ryse is called a QTE feat do to its awful E3 presentation.

Tomb Raider's SP is much longer, more variety(different weapons) and has a better story which are valid reasons that people may like it more than Ryse
Don't read this sig.
Behold Mumashika, The Japanese horse deer demon http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/46/Mumashika.jpg

User Info: 2ndAtomisk

2ndAtomisk
3 years ago#4
Doukou posted...
I liked both a lot

Tomb Raider's SP is much longer, more variety(different weapons) and has a better story which are valid reasons that people may like it more than Ryse

Just how short is Ryse? Because Tomb Raider's campaign took me about 6 hours to finish. Getting the collectibles added an additional hour or two post game.
I'm gonna cut out your eyes and piss in the ****ing sockets! ~ Kaine

User Info: VRViperII

VRViperII
3 years ago#5
Ryse got really good by the end but could have used another 6 months. Tomb raider was superb. Ryse did get unfairly panned I feel, but tombraider's praise is definitely deserved.

PS4 has proven it's amazing ability to run last gen games better lol. We'll need something more than a quick cash in port to make us jealous.

If halo 5 is better on ps4 then I'll pick one up ;-)
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rheagar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Valar Morghulis

User Info: BeefEaster

BeefEaster
3 years ago#6
2ndAtomisk posted...
Doukou posted...
I liked both a lot

Just how short is Ryse? Because Tomb Raider's campaign took me about 6 hours to finish. Getting the collectibles added an additional hour or two post game.

why would you do a speed run with a guide on your very first play through?

that's the only way you could beat it that fast
I play with dolls: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/BeefEaster/003_zps64d8bdd3.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/BeefEaster/001_zps33d21332.jpg

User Info: Evel138

Evel138
3 years ago#7
Killah Priest posted...
Too bad Pettine is the browns coach now.

I much prefer Franks's hot sauce e,but have found that Tabasco will do in a pinch.
GT/PSN: Evel138 Lucky Number
http://fav.me/d6gbf9y

User Info: Solis

Solis
3 years ago#8
The topic creator's post seems rife with hypocrisy. Or maybe just poor reasoning.
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review

User Info: WaywardBiscuit

WaywardBiscuit
3 years ago#9
Solis posted...
The topic creator's post seems rife with hypocrisy. Or maybe just poor reasoning.
George Likes Spicy Chicken

User Info: Ironman06

Ironman06
3 years ago#10
If Ryse was a Sony exclusive, all we'd be hearing about is what a great game it is regardless of the game's specs.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Ryse, Tomb Raider and the Hypocrisy of Critics

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived