Ryse, Tomb Raider and the Hypocrisy of Critics

#1billsfanno1Posted 1/24/2014 11:02:13 AM
Ryse: 1 QTE event that you must be successful at to complete the game
Tomb Raider: dozens of QTE events that you must be successful at to complete the game
Critics/Fanboys: Ryse is a QTE-fest, Tomb Raider is a series reboot with much advanced gameplay mechanics compared with previous installments

Ryse: at 900p/30fps on X1 has the best graphics of any console game to date
Tomb Raider: at 1080p/60fps on PS4 is an incremental improvement over PS3/X360 and is in no way a next gen experience
Critics/Fanboys: Tomb Raider proves that PS4 is more powerful than X1

Ryse: variety of worlds with stunning environmental graphics, a noticeable lack of variety in enemies
Tomb Raider: one world with monotonous environmental graphics, a noticeable lack of variety in enemies
Critics/Fanboys: Ryse is all the same stuff over and over, Tomb Raider's setting adds to the compelling grit of the new Lara and more adult-oriented story

Ryse: multiplayer is a simple but addictive mode
Tomb Raider: multiplayer is simple and a snoozefest
Critics/Fanboys: Ryse's multiplayer feels like a poorly conceived last minute addition, Tomb Raider's multiplayer is a move in the right direction and doesn't hold back the single player experience

I've played through both games. Tomb Raider was traded in fairly quickly while I could still get good value for it. Ryse has earned a permanent spot in my collection. The hypocrisy of how people flaunt Tomb Raider while bashing Ryse is pathetic and serves to me as Exhibit A for why gaming critics and fanboys have become the bane of this industry.
#2Killah PriestPosted 1/24/2014 11:04:13 AM
Too bad Pettine is the browns coach now.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#3DoukouPosted 1/24/2014 11:08:22 AM
I liked both a lot

Ryse is called a QTE feat do to its awful E3 presentation.

Tomb Raider's SP is much longer, more variety(different weapons) and has a better story which are valid reasons that people may like it more than Ryse
---
Don't read this sig.
Behold Mumashika, The Japanese horse deer demon http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/46/Mumashika.jpg
#42ndAtomiskPosted 1/24/2014 11:14:57 AM
Doukou posted...
I liked both a lot

Tomb Raider's SP is much longer, more variety(different weapons) and has a better story which are valid reasons that people may like it more than Ryse

Just how short is Ryse? Because Tomb Raider's campaign took me about 6 hours to finish. Getting the collectibles added an additional hour or two post game.
---
I'm gonna cut out your eyes and piss in the ****ing sockets! ~ Kaine
#5VRViperIIPosted 1/24/2014 11:15:57 AM
Ryse got really good by the end but could have used another 6 months. Tomb raider was superb. Ryse did get unfairly panned I feel, but tombraider's praise is definitely deserved.

PS4 has proven it's amazing ability to run last gen games better lol. We'll need something more than a quick cash in port to make us jealous.

If halo 5 is better on ps4 then I'll pick one up ;-)
---
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rheagar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Valar Morghulis
#6BeefEasterPosted 1/24/2014 11:18:34 AM
2ndAtomisk posted...
Doukou posted...
I liked both a lot

Just how short is Ryse? Because Tomb Raider's campaign took me about 6 hours to finish. Getting the collectibles added an additional hour or two post game.

why would you do a speed run with a guide on your very first play through?

that's the only way you could beat it that fast
---
I play with dolls: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/BeefEaster/003_zps64d8bdd3.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/BeefEaster/001_zps33d21332.jpg
#7Evel138Posted 1/24/2014 11:26:03 AM
Killah Priest posted...
Too bad Pettine is the browns coach now.

I much prefer Franks's hot sauce e,but have found that Tabasco will do in a pinch.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Lucky Number
http://fav.me/d6gbf9y
#8SolisPosted 1/24/2014 11:39:48 AM
The topic creator's post seems rife with hypocrisy. Or maybe just poor reasoning.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#9WaywardBiscuitPosted 1/24/2014 11:47:09 AM
Solis posted...
The topic creator's post seems rife with hypocrisy. Or maybe just poor reasoning.

---
George Likes Spicy Chicken
#10Ironman06Posted 1/24/2014 12:01:49 PM
If Ryse was a Sony exclusive, all we'd be hearing about is what a great game it is regardless of the game's specs.