The mental barriers of reaching a "new generation".

#1SigmaLongshotPosted 1/25/2014 2:27:16 PM
I have often considered this - the mental hurdles that one must consider before they invest in the next generation of hardware. It's often hinted at and jokes are made, but I legitimately wonder about it - the mental considerations people make about what makes "the jump" a real thing.

I mean, if a person was to make the jump this generation to... say, the Dreamcast, would it really be a total downgrade? Migrating from the 360, PS3 and Wii to the Dreamcast might seem absurd, but consider the following:

The populous are expecting something worthwhile of their monetary investment.
The populous are expecting a real improvement in the inventiveness of IP.
The populous expect technical upgrade.
The populous expect intellectual property to continue to innovate and provide increasingly interesting games for the duration of the console's lifespan.

Now, out of all these, the Dreamcast would only legitimately (not subjectively) fail on one of these criteria - technical improvement. Three out of four isn't a bad job, and you'd get Power Stone, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio and Sonic Adventure out of it.

Now I'm being crass, and I know that, but legitimately - "next generation" should mean something beyond "it's a bit faster." And that should mean, more inventive, more intriguing, more ways to make this content mysterious, more ways to include people that haven't already been "converted", and so on.

The "New generation" is slowly persuading and convincing me, but I'm sure a lot of people don't consider the entire spectrum of what's important when investing in a new generation of console gaming.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#2SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2014 2:50:17 PM
Or am I entirely alone in my belief that a "new generation" of gaming should NOT be synonymous with technical enhancement?

ARTIST POST ALERT, of course, Because I am arty-farty.
---
#3SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2014 2:51:24 AM
I am bumping this to get some insights - one time, no more - because it got swept underneath the many waves of Resolution-Framerate-Trololol-deluge.
---
#4GorillaReformedPosted 1/26/2014 8:48:16 PM
A bump for the arteest.
---
Don't flame me, I'm a hero. I once saved a burning building from a giant baby.
#5locksmithblackPosted 1/26/2014 8:50:00 PM
Can someone sum up the op in one sentence?
---
Haters = Motivators
#6MashYouGoodPosted 1/26/2014 8:50:44 PM
Never has "next gen" been so current gen.
#7lonlonmilkloverPosted 1/26/2014 9:12:20 PM(edited)
I feel the technology in all 3 is quite "next gen" ........

*wait for it*

... FOR CONSOLES.

Consoles have never been on par with PC technology and that's what people expect.

They have always been far behind the latest and greatest PC processing, graphics card and memory power. Glancing / remembering back as far as 3rd generation, consoles have consistently been about one third the caliber of each release's next-gen PC hardware...

**shrug** How it is.

I'm sure the PS4, Wii U and Xbox 360 will each have several exclusives (eventually) that will have something for everybody.

I've got 16 games for my Wii U and 12 are exclusive, and I loved every bit of them.

PS4 - well, 3 total exclusives isn't much of a selling point.... yet! Just wait :) PS3 had zero games I was interested in for the first 2 years, but they eventually released 20+...

Xbox One - well, I have a PC so I don't see many exclusives here either, but again... it will :)
---
www.backloggery.com/lonlonmilklover
#8gamefaqwatcherPosted 1/26/2014 9:31:02 PM
Also to consider, taking these off looking at other topics:

-Some people will buy a console because they want to play multiplayer with their friends.
-People love new trends.
-Advertising is powerful. New is considered better, even if launch line-ups aren't interesting and hardware / software failure is bound to happen.

I myself, not buying a next gen console until they have a larger list of games which interest me. Since a majority of my favourite game series are going to be multiplatform and singleplayer i don't need to worry much about online stability and service. There are many months to come before i do pick up a console. That means a leaves a lot of games to be announced, both multiplaform and exclusive. Also a lot of game conventions incoming during that time.

To me it's just about what games they have to offer, also which console can deliver the best singleplayer and couch co-op experiences.
---
You're the hero Gamefaqs deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
#91nternationa7Posted 1/26/2014 9:33:04 PM
Next gen (PS4+XB1) has an inferior blueray player and Netflix to current gen (PS3).
---
SV 3340 Pokemon Y Friend Code: 5172-1018-8947
#10CKnightPosted 1/26/2014 11:07:57 PM
Make this topic in a year TC, right now mainly the dogs of the gaming genre only care about which console is the most powerful and sadly they bark the loudest.

You have to let this stuff die down to really have a conversation with people who enjoy games on all facets and not because the resolution is cranked up to 1080p.