How come the N64 runs games at 30 fps but the current next gen console cant?

#21gamefaqwatcherPosted 1/26/2014 10:32:46 PM
_PDZero_ posted...
gamefaqwatcher posted...
skermac posted...
dementedlullaby posted...
The current gen consoles run at 30fps. Including handhelds. Next question plz.

The N64 came out in 1996, 18 years ago. Do you know how much power we have compared to 18 years ago and still have problems getting over 30fps. Something is not right!

Have you seen how big a N64 game cartridge is? It's much bigger than a flimsy disc which is why more data and frames can be executed at once. The change to disc was another development cost cutting model.

Joke post?

This whole topic is a joke......unless.....this could have in fact been my first joke post as i type. Thus making my previous post a serious post.
---
You're the hero Gamefaqs deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
#22ORANGE666Posted 1/26/2014 10:44:27 PM
Zelda OOT ran at 17fps average.

N64 fps were a joke
#23lunaticcorePosted 1/26/2014 10:58:22 PM
AceAndJunpei posted...
181stCommander posted...
The 64 sucked imo the PS1 just made it pieces with the new tech and way better games like FF7 and the resident evils etc.

RE2 randomly came out on N64 and was undoubtedly superior to the PS1 version.

Much sharper overall, with the FMVs taking a hit due to cart space. No disc switching for Leon and Claire scenario A and B was also nice.

It was released almost 2 years later
#24AceAndJunpeiPosted 1/26/2014 11:14:06 PM
lunaticcore posted...
AceAndJunpei posted...
181stCommander posted...
The 64 sucked imo the PS1 just made it pieces with the new tech and way better games like FF7 and the resident evils etc.

Much sharper overall, with the FMVs taking a hit due to cart space. No disc switching for Leon and Claire scenario A and B was also nice.

It was released almost 2 years later

Yes. Hence the "randomly".

Doesn't change the fact that it ran noticeably better, which means it could have if it was a multiplat.
---
Now Playing: Beyond: Dead Space 3 (PS3), Sonic LW (WiiU), SM3DW (WiiU), Pikmin 3 (WiiU), MGS2 qHD(Vita) SC: Blacklist, Killer is Dead (360)
#25Ryan-06Posted 1/27/2014 5:07:13 AM
skermac posted...
The N64 came out in 1996, 18 years ago. Do you know how much power we have compared to 18 years ago and still have problems getting over 30fps. Something is not right!

MS is all wrong that's why.
---
0=Rei=Rei-six. Born New England. Lived in Japan. Citizen of Earth. Want to move to Canada.
http://i.minus.com/ibqHmP9FwDtUAr.gif, bit.ly/1jRVFZA
#26OdalmannenPosted 1/27/2014 6:03:09 AM
Well the Nintendo 64 obviously is stronger than Xbox One.
#27RagnarokxvPosted 1/27/2014 9:05:49 AM
The N64 is the pinnacle of human technology.
---
Did I say that, or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me??
#28MilesTeg420Posted 1/27/2014 9:24:19 AM
ORANGE666 posted...
Zelda OOT ran at 17fps average.

N64 fps were a joke

Pretty much this actually. I recently went back and played some actual N64 games on an N64, and was surprised at how bad the actual frame rates were. Also, Mario 64 has some really distracting pop in at times.
#29skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2014 11:53:59 AM
AceAndJunpei posted...
181stCommander posted...

You speak the truth!
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#30skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2014 11:55:38 AM
MashYouGood posted...
skermac posted...
How come the N64 runs games at 30 fps but the current next gen console cant?

Because graphical fidelity is out-stripping hardware grunt nowadays compared to yesteryear.

Since gaming has become a mainstream pastime and thus its community mostly casual and superficial, developer priority has moved from gameplay advancements to visual sheen (case in point: Assassin's Creed). And because shiny graphics tax hardware a lot more than core gameplay does, hardware is stuck fighting an uphill battle to satisfy the superficial "graphics whore" generation of casual gamers the industry now relies on for the bulk of its revenue.

It's a real double whammy for the pastime -- increasingly shallow games that look so good they cannot run properly!

I remember reading a couple months ago the devs said they are having problems in I think BF4. They said they could give either 60fps or 1080p but bot both. I forgot what they said the limitations were.
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive