why not just do Tomb Raider at 720p and 60 FPS?

#41Kovifan27Posted 1/29/2014 9:25:56 AM
krystyla posted...
People forget so fast that the PS4 version isn't exactly 60fps either even though it runs a lot better

Here is the biggest problem I have. In order to achieve the semi stable frame rate in the Xbox One version they dumbed the cut scenes down to 900p.

Xbox One can't run cut scenes at 30fps @ 1080p??

"Meanwhile the situation is more interesting on the Xbox One: the anti-aliasing solution remains unchanged, but we see the inclusion of what looks like a variable resolution framebuffer in some scenes, while some cut-scenes are rendered at a locked 900p, explaining the additional blur in some of our Xbox One screenshots. Curiously, the drop in resolution doesn't seem to occur during gameplay - it's only reserved for select cinematics - suggesting that keeping performance consistent during these sequences was a priority for Xbox One developer United Front Games."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-tomb-raider-definitive-edition-next-gen-face-off
#42krystylaPosted 1/29/2014 9:30:57 AM
Kovifan27 posted...
krystyla posted...
People forget so fast that the PS4 version isn't exactly 60fps either even though it runs a lot better

Here is the biggest problem I have. In order to achieve the semi stable frame rate in the Xbox One version they dumbed the cut scenes down to 900p.

"Meanwhile the situation is more interesting on the Xbox One: the anti-aliasing solution remains unchanged, but we see the inclusion of what looks like a variable resolution framebuffer in some scenes, while some cut-scenes are rendered at a locked 900p, explaining the additional blur in some of our Xbox One screenshots. Curiously, the drop in resolution doesn't seem to occur during gameplay - it's only reserved for select cinematics - suggesting that keeping performance consistent during these sequences was a priority for Xbox One developer United Front Games."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-tomb-raider-definitive-edition-next-gen-face-off

That is interesting, one thing I haven't heard of previously. Now what was the frame rate on the PS4 version in those cut scenes would be even more interesting.

It might show that the XBO developer was more concerned w/ having a constant frame rate than PS4 version developer.

I still think that neither console is handling TR all that impressive
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara PSN: JudasInHell Gamertag: Crystyn 7B
Written by Surface Pro 2 256GB
#43Kupo_Mog_KupoPosted 1/29/2014 9:57:32 AM
I think the funny thing about Infamous being 30 fps is how some of the ones that say they refuse to play anything below 60 fps will suddenly have a change of heart.
---
If LeBron shoots below 56 percent for the regular(obviously) season(2013-14) I'll close my account.
#44kingofjamaicaPosted 1/29/2014 10:12:16 AM
scoobydoobydont posted...
Because resolution is ever so slightly more important than framerate regardless of what know-nothing know-it-all gamers claim. Anything over 24fps is gravy unless you're a competitive player and who gives a **** about those people?

Sure, 24fps is fine if you want your game to control like ass with noticeably choppy animations.

While we're at it, let's just play games at 18fps. I mean, if anything over 24fps is gravy, anything over 18fps must be like, super gravy or something.

Sarcasm aside, you're wrong, and what you wrote is the stupidest thing I've read all day.
---
At some point, you're going to have to talk to a tree and do what it says. - Arbor Day Rule, Grand List of RPG Cliches.
#45zephirrainesPosted 1/29/2014 10:13:59 AM
Kupo_Mog_Kupo posted...
I think the funny thing about Infamous being 30 fps is how some of the ones that say they refuse to play anything below 60 fps will suddenly have a change of heart.

Sad but true. Makes me wonder how these people arent pc elitists since they must have hated the ps3 and 360.
#46kingofjamaicaPosted 1/29/2014 10:15:20 AM
yiangaruuuga posted...
Different developer ported Xbox One version while the actual developer ported the PS4 version. It's silly to think that the Xbox One can't handle 1080P 60FPS when there are already games in development/out that achieves this .

Games with significant corner cutting. Basically to make a 1080p60 game on Xbox One, you need to remove all of the next-gen effects. At that point you have a 1080p60 Xbox 360 game.
---
At some point, you're going to have to talk to a tree and do what it says. - Arbor Day Rule, Grand List of RPG Cliches.
#47kingofjamaicaPosted 1/29/2014 10:16:53 AM
zephirraines posted...
Terry-bogard posted...
Lawboy2 posted...
lostoutlawnb posted...
ether way people will whine.

Agreed...the comparisons video looked the same to me...only if ur nitpicking can u tell the difference

The difference is VERY noticeable , you can't see it on youtube but believe me , it shows.

Stable is greater then jumpy fps anyday. Funny how people ignore this even tho even ign and DF mention that the ps4 version fluctuates so much that its more distracting then solid 30.

Actually Digital Foundry states that the variable 40-50 is far more preferable to the variable 24-30.
---
#48strawberry11Posted 1/29/2014 10:18:06 AM
krystyla posted...
Kovifan27 posted...
krystyla posted...

That is interesting, one thing I haven't heard of previously. Now what was the frame rate on the PS4 version in those cut scenes would be even more interesting.

It might show that the XBO developer was more concerned w/ having a constant frame rate than PS4 version developer.

But PS4 handles much better than X1. That face-off article even says unambiguously that the frame rate drops (variance in performance) impacts the X1 version more than the PS4 version, due to the lower base point as it is capped at 30 fps. The performance analysis they did yesterday was much more equivocal and didn't outright say that, but they seemed to have come down much more heavily on the side of PS4 performance wise now
---
Yes my game is Wiggle jiggle.
#49Kupo_Mog_KupoPosted 1/29/2014 10:20:17 AM
F5 and NBA2k14 look pretty next gen to me and they are at 1080p and 60 fps(at least as far as launch games go). The more they work with the hardware the more they will figure things out though.
---
If LeBron shoots below 56 percent for the regular(obviously) season(2013-14) I'll close my account.
#50kingofjamaicaPosted 1/29/2014 10:21:50 AM
strawberry11 posted...
krystyla posted...
Kovifan27 posted...
krystyla posted...

But PS4 handles much better than X1. That face-off article even says unambiguously that the frame rate drops (variance in performance) impacts the X1 version more than the PS4 version, due to the lower base point as it is capped at 30 fps. The performance analysis they did yesterday was much more equivocal and didn't outright say that, but they seemed to have come down much more heavily on the side of PS4 performance wise now

Different people writing the articles. Leadbetter has always gone easier on Microsoft. Kind of ruins some of the technical merit these articles are going for. Still not as bad as Polygon though...
---