Does the Gears acquisition make it more unlikely that MS won't...

#1mcnichojPosted 1/28/2014 12:33:06 PM
Sell their gaming division?
I was never worried about them dropping the Xbox brand but I do enjoy discussion and so maybe those that were worried could drop some of their thoughts.
Who would seriously pay whatever amount MS paid for Gears? Maaaaaybe Sony but that's a pretty big maybe, they don't like buying up others IPs.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam: mcnichoj
Proud Vita/3DS/Wii U owner. Day one PS4/X1. | Wanting people to have full knowledge of the facts about a console makes you a fanboy.
#2HENTAIDOJIPosted 1/28/2014 12:41:11 PM
mcnichoj posted...
I was never worried about them dropping the Xbox brand but I do enjoy discussion and so maybe those that were worried could drop some of their thoughts.
Who would seriously pay whatever amount MS paid for Gears? Maaaaaybe Sony but that's a pretty big maybe, they don't like buying up others IPs.

MS is the only console manufacturer to have not operated at a loss in the last couple of years, they're also the one furthest away from running out of dough.

The are many reason why Xbone will always be around and they are as follows

5) Money.
4) Fun
3) MONEY
2) DESTINY!
1) After Gears acquisition and Kinect I am 99% convinced the Xbox venture is just to troll ponies.
---
http://nopybot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hentai-demotivational1.jpg
#3Bladez_89Posted 1/28/2014 3:56:04 PM
mcnichoj posted...

If anyone was to sell their gaming division it would be Sony. With the crap credit rating and all.
---
Currently playing BF4, Forza 5.
GT: B1ADE5
#4RyuuHou25Posted 1/28/2014 4:00:01 PM
HENTAIDOJI posted...
mcnichoj posted...

MS is the only console manufacturer to have not operated at a loss in the last couple of years, they're also the one furthest away from running out of dough.

5) Money.
4) Fun
3) MONEY
2) DESTINY!
1) After Gears acquisition and Kinect I am 99% convinced the Xbox venture is just to troll ponies.

Except their gaming division has been losing the company money for years now. Sonys financial issues are from other divisions that have nothing to do with its gaming sector.

There's already board members and investors wanting to cut off the gaming division because of the drain on profits from other divisions. Spending however much they did to acquire the IP isn't likely to help them convince other investors this is going to be a good thing to continue with much more either.

Rich people and investors tend to like making money, not pouring it into a division that is constantly losing them money.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liGiTVdVu1A
#5Apex-PlayerPosted 1/28/2014 4:07:04 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#6scorpio manPosted 1/28/2014 4:12:23 PM
The president of MS already stated this will NOT be the last Xbox console
---
Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty.
#7Cosmic_DiabeticPosted 1/28/2014 4:15:06 PM
scorpio man posted...

do you mean CEO? because that's Steve Ballmer and he's retiring. In fact it's from this that the subject of them selling the xbox brand to someone else even came up.
---
Others find humanity by looking in their own hearts. Only lost souls need to search for it outside themselves."
#8Neoreloaded313Posted 1/28/2014 4:20:52 PM
scorpio man posted...

What else do you expect them to say? That would be said even if this was going to be the last xbox, saying anything else would be bad for business.
---
Trolls and ignorant people gets added to my ignore list.
#9HENTAIDOJIPosted 1/28/2014 4:22:20 PM
RyuuHou25 posted...
HENTAIDOJI posted...
mcnichoj posted...

5) Money.
4) Fun
3) MONEY
2) DESTINY!

Except their gaming division has been losing the company money for years now. Sonys financial issues are from other divisions that have nothing to do with its gaming sector.

There's already board members and investors wanting to cut off the gaming division because of the drain on profits from other divisions. Spending however much they did to acquire the IP isn't likely to help them convince other investors this is going to be a good thing to continue with much more either.

Rich people and investors tend to like making money, not pouring it into a division that is constantly losing them money.

Don't know what to tell you, the division has profited every fiscal year since Halo 3 released in 2007 and 360 broke even as of early 2012 if memory serves (so over $3B profit at that time), I haven't done the math, but I'd guess they've profited another $1-1.5 B since. Given the Xbone doesn't make a loss (at least none appreciable according to the last report) It would take something quite catastrophic to push them into a loss...ever. They are:

* collapse of the American dollars value
* Insane level of R & D
* Multiple multi- million dollar acquisitions in the same quarter
* Selling Xbone at a $250 loss for a protracted period
* RROD x 10

The last time Sony offered proper breakdowns that I followed was just before Vita launched (at a loss according to Sony)and they lost this much:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/347056/playstation-division-loses-pound18-billion-as-annual-ps3-sales-decline/

Given the $5B they lost already, I didn't think it was worth keeping score after that.
---
http://nopybot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hentai-demotivational1.jpg
#10EvocoPosted 1/28/2014 4:29:18 PM
Apex-Player posted...
Reason number 6 for why they won't sell xbox.

6) xbox users are way to easy to milk, and act like it's an achievement wasting money.

Well there is an actual achievement for buying a Day One Xbox One. =D