When was the first time you bought an Xbox console, and why?

#1ImThe8thWonderPosted 1/29/2014 7:44:01 AM
I myself skipped the first Xbox entirely. I didn't really have an interest in the brand until the PS3 had its shaky start. Even then, my PS3 had games, but MS had certain exclusives that I just couldn't miss out on.

It wasn't Halo, Gears, or Forza that drew me into getting a 360. It was most definitely Mass Effect and Bioshock, which at the time, were exclusives without a sign of ever becoming multiplat. Boy was I wrong. Eventually, what really made my purchase worth it (besides those two games) were the social features (party chat) and the Forza series. Got into Forza when GT5 disappointed me and it easily became my new favorite racing game. It's a shame Forza 5 has disappointed me similarly to GT5. Must be the number 5.

Anyways, that's my experience. Though I joined Xbox for the exclusives, I stayed because of the social features which made playing online games better with friends. What's your story?
---
Currently own: PS4, XB1, PS3, XB360, PS2, PS1, PS Vita, Wii, Wii U, DS, 3DS, Super NES, N64, and a gaming PC.
XBL Gold in a nutshell: http://imgur.com/cT6qYn4
#2Darth_StinkiusPosted 1/29/2014 7:46:18 AM
I bought the first XBOX in Jan '05 to play KOTOR 1&2. I never touched my launch PS2 again.

I then bought the 360 at launch to play Quake 4 and my X1 at launch to play 64 player BF4
---
XBOX One - Darth Stinkius
#3PSI_ThroatPunchPosted 1/29/2014 7:53:06 AM
I bought the original for games like SW: KotOR, Jade Empire, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, Morrowind, Breakdown. My first game for it was KotOR.
---
Currently playing: Earthbound (SNES), Secret of Mana (SNES) Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) Civilization V (PC) Guild Wars 2 (PC)
PSN: AtmaNex
#4PSI_ThroatPunchPosted 1/29/2014 7:54:56 AM
And Fable. How the hell did I forget Fable...
---
Currently playing: Earthbound (SNES), Secret of Mana (SNES) Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) Civilization V (PC) Guild Wars 2 (PC)
PSN: AtmaNex
#5billsfanno1Posted 1/29/2014 7:55:59 AM
I bought original Xbox at launch. Sega brought their games to Xbox after Dreamcast failed, so that's where the games I wanted were. I can still remember the first time I popped Halo in, my gosh what a game-changer that was. Such a great console, so many great games (I like quirky original titles like JSRF, Gunvalkyrie, Otogi, Blinx, Voodoo Vince, Oddworld Stranger, etc). Hopefully Phil Spencer is serious about returning to the Xbox brand because the last couple of years with X360 were very uninspiring.
#6SunDevil77Posted 1/29/2014 8:00:23 AM
Original Xbox at launch for Halo CE.
---
My teeth are swords, my claws are spears, my wings are a hurricane!
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#7knightimexPosted 1/29/2014 8:05:30 AM
1st Xbox I got for free.
Got an Xbox 360 because ps3 was $600.
---
I spanked you as a baby, I'll spank you now. B****!
-Evil Betty
#8Zague77Posted 1/29/2014 8:06:07 AM
KotOR was the reason I got mine. I crossed my fingers, got the game for my rubbish old PC and managed to get as far as the first swoop racing section before the system just couldn't handle it. It was far enough to tell me that I had to keep playing. That meant a new PC (which I hardly ever used for gaming) or the Xbox (which I'd already been thinking about.)

My gaming from then until maybe a year ago was dominated by Xbox and Xbox 360. Still haven't decided on a next gen console. No games for either system yet, or imminent, that I have much interest in.
---
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking..."
#9Special-EddPosted 1/29/2014 8:08:47 AM
I actually received my xbox as a gift for Christmas. I asked for it because I had played Halo at a friends house and fell in love with the game almost instantly. I got it when they had done away with the duke and started the S controller.
---
RebelGameMaster: You can't say poop is better than french toast because some people like the taste of poop.
Proud day one adopter of PS4 and Xbox One
#10lninjasoniclPosted 1/29/2014 8:10:45 AM
Feb 2002 to play Jet Set Radio Future.

I love that game.
---
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something.