Edge: Why "paymium" fundamentally compromises console game design

#1axelfooley2k5Posted 1/29/2014 10:30:01 AM(edited)
how bad are the transactions in forza 5?

http://www.edge-online.com/features/the-next-gen-cash-grab-why-paymium-fundamentally-compromises-console-game-design/

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=759893
---
Guys! You gotta make it sexy. Hips and Nips, Otherwise i'm not eatin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54GV2qS3tL4
#2scoobydoobydontPosted 1/29/2014 10:36:52 AM
DLC 2.0. Much ado about nothing.
---
''ALL games should at least have single player. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will.'' -aszsith
#3axelfooley2k5(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2014 10:37:07 AM
But publishers donít really want to answer these questions. When we approached Electronic Arts, Ubisoft and Microsoft for comment, the first two failed to respond, and Microsoft declined. The philosophy at the moment is to implement microtransactions quietly, then apologise and tweak the economy only if players complain. In this way, it is hoped the modern paymium model will creep into games largely unnoticed.
---
Guys! You gotta make it sexy. Hips and Nips, Otherwise i'm not eatin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54GV2qS3tL4
#4bob15xPosted 1/29/2014 10:38:33 AM
axelfooley2k5 posted...
But publishers donít really want to answer these questions. When we approached Electronic Arts, Ubisoft and Microsoft for comment, the first two failed to respond, and Microsoft declined. The philosophy at the moment is to implement microtransactions quietly, then apologise and tweak the economy only if players complain. In this way, it is hoped the modern paymium model will creep into games largely unnoticed.

either take this or take

more developers going out of business
increased game prices
used game restrictions
lending restrictions

take your pick.

you can't have both, the industry will collapse.
#5Troll_DirectoryPosted 1/29/2014 10:49:18 AM
axelfooley2k5 posted...
way overblown. everything i do in forza 5 seems to throw credits at me since day one. even when i'm not playing. i have well over 3 million credits unspent, and there are plenty of cars in my garage to race in almost every scenario available. it's also easy to rent every car in the game for free, to try before you buy. maybe one day they'll fix that glitch, but i've already picked my favorites weeks ago.
#6kennyynnooPosted 1/29/2014 11:00:20 AM
Troll_Directory posted...
axelfooley2k5 posted...
way overblown. everything i do in forza 5 seems to throw credits at me since day one. even when i'm not playing. i have well over 3 million credits unspent, and there are plenty of cars in my garage to race in almost every scenario available. it's also easy to rent every car in the game for free, to try before you buy. maybe one day they'll fix that glitch, but i've already picked my favorites weeks ago.

Yeah I have $2m+ and a car for every race and only at level 23 or 26, I forget. It's non racers who come in thinking they should drive a high end super car or f1 car from the start that are complaining. It's equivalent to me thinking I should have the best gun unlocked in a shooter for multiplayer right away instead of working for it.
---
PSN-S30andz32
360-Z32andS30
#7Troll_DirectoryPosted 1/29/2014 11:07:40 AM
kennyynnoo posted...
Troll_Directory posted...
axelfooley2k5 posted...

Yeah I have $2m+ and a car for every race and only at level 23 or 26, I forget. It's non racers who come in thinking they should drive a high end super car or f1 car from the start that are complaining. It's equivalent to me thinking I should have the best gun unlocked in a shooter for multiplayer right away instead of working for it.
right. and, "why can't i save the princess on the first level? i paid for the game. i should be able to play it however i want."
#8ejay8320Posted 1/29/2014 11:10:25 AM
bob15x posted...
axelfooley2k5 posted...

either take this or take

increased game prices
used game restrictions
lending restrictions

take your pick.

Why no options for the publishers/developers like to streamline their processes, reduce cost, staying within budget, be more efficient?

There needs to be a balance, the consumers can't be the only ones to take responsibility.
#9AarksharkPosted 1/29/2014 11:14:46 AM
bob15x posted...

increased game prices
used game restrictions
lending restrictions

take your pick.

Or, you know, they could stop pulling a Hollywood and grossly over-inflating each games budget, so that games that sell several million copies wont be "failures" because they didn't recoup the ridiculously huge development costs they sunk into it.

But, really, what's the point in cleaning the wound when you can just chop off the hand instead, right?
---
Gamertag/PSN ID/Steam: Navllyk
My FUNK is all that of JUSTICE! I will be the first to grab the napkin, you will be as docile as the winter catfish!
#10bob15xPosted 1/29/2014 11:16:39 AM
Aarkshark posted...
bob15x posted...

increased game prices
used game restrictions
lending restrictions

take your pick.

Or, you know, they could stop pulling a Hollywood and grossly over-inflating each games budget, so that games that sell several million copies wont be "failures" because they didn't recoup the ridiculously huge development costs they sunk into it.

But, really, what's the point in cleaning the wound when you can just chop off the hand instead, right?

and if they lowered their budgets I guarantee people would find a way to complain.