Rumor about disc-less XB1 with 1TB HDD.

#11aszsithPosted 1/30/2014 12:42:42 PM
ImThe8thWonder posted...
archibald3 posted...
ImThe8thWonder posted...
bob15x posted...
and what if it allows you to plug in an external bluray drive to install the disks?

The solution to the absence of key features shouldn't be to just buy even more separate hardware. The solution would be to not have made it a problem in the first place. Maybe in the future a discless console would make more sense, but I doubt that future would arrive within the shelf life of the XB1 (7 years or so).

Your contradicting yourself. Swapping out the hard drive would constitute purchasing seperate hardware the same as using an external hard drive. I personally thing this rumour would be a great thing. Your still living in a world where kinect isn`t a part of the Xbox One. You need to let go.

Not necessarily. In one scenario, you're swapping something out that you already have. In another, if you wish to experience the key feature, you have to buy the external component. It's not like you're upgrading, you're placing in what you don't have. The beauty of swapping is that if I don't need to improve my component, I won't be without the key feature. Having a choice makes the difference.

So under scenario #1 You have to purchase a separate hdd and plug it in via USB. Under scenario #2 Microsoft provides you multiple swappable hdd's? Oh, wait, you still have to buy it before you can swap. Your argument was to NOT buy additional components.

If anything, a swappable, proprietary hdd is WORSE as it can only be used with one device. I have several external hdd's in my home already. I wouldn't have to buy anything to expand.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#12Lawboy2Posted 1/30/2014 12:45:43 PM
ImThe8thWonder posted...
bob15x posted...
and what if it allows you to plug in an external bluray drive to install the disks?

The solution to the absence of key features shouldn't be to just buy even more separate hardware. The solution would be to not have made it a problem in the first place. Maybe in the future a discless console would make more sense, but I doubt that future would arrive within the shelf life of the XB1 (7 years or so).

I disagree my apple air doesn't have a disc...I bought a separate cd drive but I never use...when I was purchasing it I thought that i would need it but as time went on I never use it...the same with this...with technology advancing u really won't need blu ray drives because every thing can be streamed or stored on the cloud...in essence disk drives are becoming obsolete....IMO...and it will free up a lot of room inside the xbox...who knows maybe with the room the free up they can place the kinect technology inside...that would be cool
#13ImThe8thWonder(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2014 12:58:48 PM
aszsith posted...
So under scenario #1 You have to purchase a separate hdd and plug it in via USB. Under scenario #2 Microsoft provides you multiple swappable hdd's? Oh, wait, you still have to buy it before you can swap. Your argument was to NOT buy additional components.

If anything, a swappable, proprietary hdd is WORSE as it can only be used with one device. I have several external hdd's in my home already. I wouldn't have to buy anything to expand.

Who said anything about MS offering the HDDs? I never said proprietary. And you seem to have missed my point entirely. I said that without a disc tray, you will HAVE to buy an external one if you wish to use discs. But if they offered the disc tray built-in, you wouldn't have to waste money on buying another component for your device. And I also included that offering the option to swap HDDs is better in case if someone wishes to ever improve what they already have. Notice how offering a swap feature doesn't mean the consumer is forced to buy a new component? Because it already comes with one. Giving people the option to swap doesn't cost them money unless if they want to. But not including the component to begin with DOES force them to buy more without giving them an option.
---
PS4~XB1~PS3~XB360~PS2~PS1~PS Vita~Wii~Wii U~DS~3DS~Super NES~N64~PC
*Not everyone that has a difference of opinion or that offers criticisms is a troll.*
#14PulpPosted 1/30/2014 1:07:25 PM
As has been said countless times - Kinect is integral to MS's longterm plans (evolving and selling/license the Ad delivery). It will never go away...at least this gen.

I personally don't think the rumour is true. An optical drive doesn't add much to the cost of the console...and you are getting an upgraded HDD for $100 less? Plus it splits your userbase and requires a redesign.

I dunno...seems unlikely.
---
Contest Abuse - You have lost the right to dispute or appeal further moderations.
#15HamburgerTime88Posted 1/30/2014 1:11:12 PM
Charity_Diary posted...
MrImpatient35 posted...
So it's BOTH discless and 1TB in one console model? Until download speeds are way faster, I'd rather use a disc.

Yep. Screw buying games on release day and taking the entire day to install them... It should be renamed 'Install Day'.

You install them a couple days before it's released, maybe research before you talk you sound silly
---
---"I'm going to bang your mouth""eat my cheese" manbirds---
#16regsantotomasPosted 1/30/2014 1:13:12 PM
I think that I've used my optical drive once since I bought the Xbox One.

Removing the optical drive makes far more sense than removing Kinect IMO.

#opinions
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#17coltsfan4ever31Posted 1/30/2014 1:19:23 PM
I wonder why MS didn't release a discless One along with the disc based version. It would've been interesting to see how well it would've sold.
---
---"If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score?"-Vince Lombardi
#18MiharinPosted 1/30/2014 1:25:22 PM
This would be ideal for me: release a discless and kinectless Xbox One for 299 or less, and I will buy it for the exclusives and stuff. PS4 would still be my main console, but I will eventually get both anyway.
---
3DS code: 1220 6667 5775