Will Microsoft's Digital-Only Xbox One be comparable to Valve's Steam Machine?

#11aszsithPosted 1/31/2014 10:47:53 PM
To answer the question in the Topic Title: No.

It will be comparable to an XBOne with a broken disc drive. In other words, it will be exactly the same as every other XBOne on the market, except it won't have a disc drive. It MAY have a larger hdd, but even that is unlikely as that would increase the cost and there is no logical reason to increase the cost since they are offering this to be at a lower price point than they currently are.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#12PorungaPosted 2/1/2014 12:35:31 AM
ukemandwnbu posted...
extanker posted...
ukemandwnbu posted...
Microsoft "Windows Machine" (Digital-Mostly Almost-Always-Online Xbox One) Wish List

-Proprietary hardware, software, and OS with 4K Ultra HD support, (optional) Blu-ray Disc support, Xbox (original) and Xbox 360 backwards compatibility (depends on SKU, explained below).

-Several SKUs (closed system, not upgradeable or customizable) to be produced ranging from "Budget" (low-end hardware [maximum Kinect-focused], price-conscious. Ideal for the Casual gamer) to "Premium" (ultra high-end "futureproof" hardware [maximum gaming-focused], "money is no object"-conscious. Ideal for the Hardcore gamer) selections, as well as mid-range selections for Hybrid (combo Casual/Hardcore) gamers.

-Digital games heavily discounted, incentivizing buying digital over physical games.

-Xbox Live required for free monthly games, online multiplayer, apps (Netflix, YouTube, NFL, etc.), Internet Explorer, and other online features (Private and Party Chat, messaging, etc.). Kinect not required.

You realize you pretty much just described a PC. For consoles, you can't divide a user base like this. It would never work and be a disaster.

Steam Machines are basically pre-build PCs in console form. Wouldn't these devices being splitting the PC user base being that it uses its SteamOS and not Windows? This is what I described in the OP, except instead of Valve/Steam it would be for a Microsoft/Windows version with Xbox features (still labeled as an Xbox). My point in the OP was that Microsoft could have its own "Windows Machine" Xbox One if they went digital-only/cloud-based, similar to Valve's Steam Machine.

Also, everyone buying whichever "Windows Machine"/Digital-Only Xbox One SKU would all still be apart of the same Xbox community -- so how would this possibly divide the user base?

The fact that there will be so many different steamboxes with varying levels of hardware is exactly the reason why it will be a disaster and will fail. If they are going to make a console, it has to have a uniform hardware design. Each one has to be exactly the same, otherwise there is no point in having it. You might as well just have a computer.

The attraction to consoles is that you KNOW, that no matter what game you put in for that system it will play. With what the steamboxes will have is a game that will run poorly on one, and amazing on another.

It defeats the entire purpose of making a console system.
#13ukemandwnbu(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2014 9:15:13 AM
Porunga posted...
ukemandwnbu posted...
extanker posted...
ukemandwnbu posted...
Microsoft "Windows Machine" (Digital-Mostly Almost-Always-Online Xbox One) Wish List

-Proprietary hardware, software, and OS with 4K Ultra HD support, (optional) Blu-ray Disc support, Xbox (original) and Xbox 360 backwards compatibility (depends on SKU, explained below).

-Several SKUs (closed system, not upgradeable or customizable) to be produced ranging from "Budget" (low-end hardware [maximum Kinect-focused], price-conscious. Ideal for the Casual gamer) to "Premium" (ultra high-end "futureproof" hardware [maximum gaming-focused], "money is no object"-conscious. Ideal for the Hardcore gamer) selections, as well as mid-range selections for Hybrid (combo Casual/Hardcore) gamers.

-Digital games heavily discounted, incentivizing buying digital over physical games.

-Xbox Live required for free monthly games, online multiplayer, apps (Netflix, YouTube, NFL, etc.), Internet Explorer, and other online features (Private and Party Chat, messaging, etc.). Kinect not required.

You realize you pretty much just described a PC. For consoles, you can't divide a user base like this. It would never work and be a disaster.

Steam Machines are basically pre-build PCs in console form. Wouldn't these devices being splitting the PC user base being that it uses its SteamOS and not Windows? This is what I described in the OP, except instead of Valve/Steam it would be for a Microsoft/Windows version with Xbox features (still labeled as an Xbox). My point in the OP was that Microsoft could have its own "Windows Machine" Xbox One if they went digital-only/cloud-based, similar to Valve's Steam Machine.

Also, everyone buying whichever "Windows Machine"/Digital-Only Xbox One SKU would all still be apart of the same Xbox community -- so how would this possibly divide the user base?

The fact that there will be so many different steamboxes with varying levels of hardware is exactly the reason why it will be a disaster and will fail. If they are going to make a console, it has to have a uniform hardware design. Each one has to be exactly the same, otherwise there is no point in having it. You might as well just have a computer.

The attraction to consoles is that you KNOW, that no matter what game you put in for that system it will play. With what the steamboxes will have is a game that will run poorly on one, and amazing on another.

It defeats the entire purpose of making a console system.

Oh, I see what you mean now. That makes sense then. Too many SKUs and a split in the community takes place as a result of them. I misunderstood the whole idea, never thinking ahead. I concede, extanker and Porunga.
#14Foxx3kPosted 2/1/2014 9:15:54 AM
No, because Microsoft manages their digital marketplace incredibly poorly.
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#15rusty12000Posted 2/1/2014 10:32:00 AM
It's hard to worry about if it is digital when the games are 75% off. With Humble Bundles you have get games for less then a dollar.
---
Everything EA contributed to gamers around the world in one youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM
#16pwnater777Posted 2/1/2014 10:32:45 AM
rusty12000 posted...
It's hard to worry about if it is digital when the games are 75% off. With Humble Bundles you have get games for less then a dollar.

Did you get the Codemasters one? Good times, good times.
---
"That's NASCAR tactics."
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe