Oh, Look, Something New To Complain About...Console Trade-In Bonuses

#1aszsithPosted 1/31/2014 9:10:41 PM
Microsoft has done something in response to just about every complaint levied against the XBOne and yet people still complain.

Kinect WAS initially required. Microsoft reprogrammed the console to allow it to never be connected. Not good enough. People want Kinect removed completely.

Games were originally locked to an account and could only be sold to authorized dealers. This included digital games which was new for this gen. But people complained because they didn't understand how it would work. Microsoft removed the DRM to make XBOne games work like last gen games. Not good enough. People don't like having to completely install disc based games and have the disc in the tray.

XBOne originally required a once daily online connection as part of the DRM. Microsoft lifted that and required a one-time connection to download the firmware update that changed the design of the system in response to the above complaints. Not good enough. The system should come with the update preloaded, the complainers say.

People complained that the XBOne isn't performing up to their standards. Microsoft opened up the reserve GPU power to give developers more to work with. Not good enough. They should never have locked that portion in the first place and should have included more power but not at an increased price.

People complained that the XBOne is $100 more than the PS4. Microsoft is rumored to be addressing this issue with a new sku that has no optical drive and will cost $100 less. Not good enough because it will require digital downloads for games.

Now Microsoft offers $100 for last gen console trades which essentially negates the price difference and people complain about that too.

While many people will argue that Microsoft needed to change some or all of those things, it is ridiculous that people keep complaining. Then again, since complaining is getting results, I don't see why they would stop now.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#2RyuuHou25Posted 1/31/2014 10:07:26 PM
aszsith posted...
Microsoft has done something in response to just about every complaint levied against the XBOne and yet people still complain.

Kinect WAS initially required. Microsoft reprogrammed the console to allow it to never be connected. Not good enough. People want Kinect removed completely.

Games were originally locked to an account and could only be sold to authorized dealers. This included digital games which was new for this gen. But people complained because they didn't understand how it would work. Microsoft removed the DRM to make XBOne games work like last gen games. Not good enough. People don't like having to completely install disc based games and have the disc in the tray.

XBOne originally required a once daily online connection as part of the DRM. Microsoft lifted that and required a one-time connection to download the firmware update that changed the design of the system in response to the above complaints. Not good enough. The system should come with the update preloaded, the complainers say.

People complained that the XBOne isn't performing up to their standards. Microsoft opened up the reserve GPU power to give developers more to work with. Not good enough. They should never have locked that portion in the first place and should have included more power but not at an increased price.

People complained that the XBOne is $100 more than the PS4. Microsoft is rumored to be addressing this issue with a new sku that has no optical drive and will cost $100 less. Not good enough because it will require digital downloads for games.

Now Microsoft offers $100 for last gen console trades which essentially negates the price difference and people complain about that too.

While many people will argue that Microsoft needed to change some or all of those things, it is ridiculous that people keep complaining. Then again, since complaining is getting results, I don't see why they would stop now.

*sigh*

1 - If they're forcing people to have something they clearly don't want, they're going to complain.

2 - Considering this particular issue didn't come up until AFTER consoles were released, you're just taking one issue and tacking it onto another to make it seem like something it's not.

3 - It should. This goes for both consoles, day one updates are stupid and ridiculous, whether it be consoles or games themselves.

4 - They should have. Even with the so called unlocking of the GPU, it's still not that great an increase and isn't going to help anything much.

5 - Same price as PS4 but you're locked to digital. Can't imagine why people would complain about that.

6 - Uh, no, not last gen consoles, PS3. No plural on console. Singular. Hence the advertising, which is what people are having an issue with, makes MS seem desperate.

7 - So why make the thread if you're going to admit that complaining is getting results?
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liGiTVdVu1A
#3aszsith(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2014 10:30:29 PM
RyuuHou25 posted...
aszsith posted...

*sigh*

1 - If they're forcing people to have something they clearly don't want, they're going to complain.
2 - Considering this particular issue didn't come up until AFTER consoles were released, you're just taking one issue and tacking it onto another to make it seem like something it's not.
3 - It should. This goes for both consoles, day one updates are stupid and ridiculous, whether it be consoles or games themselves.
4 - They should have. Even with the so called unlocking of the GPU, it's still not that great an increase and isn't going to help anything much.
5 - Same price as PS4 but you're locked to digital. Can't imagine why people would complain about that.
6 - Uh, no, not last gen consoles, PS3. No plural on console. Singular. Hence the advertising, which is what people are having an issue with, makes MS seem desperate.
7 - So why make the thread if you're going to admit that complaining is getting results?

1 - Nothing was "forced". Kinect was a key component and they altered the design to accommodate some critics.
2 - This was changed BEFORE launch, not after.
3 - Wouldn't have had to be patched were it not to cater to the complaints.
4 - 8% is a decent upgrade. Better than ignoring the issue. We'll have to wait to see the impact on games.
5 - It is a concession based on price, while not optimal, but again, is addressing a complaint.
6 - Why would they want people to trade in a 360 they can still profit by selling games to the consumer who kept it? Of course they want to take consumers from their competitor.
7 - Because people here seem to think MS is ignoring consumers which isn't true. Plus the fanboysim of others entertains me.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#4CaIiber345Posted 1/31/2014 10:35:35 PM
Maybe a lot of us aren't "complaining." Maybe a lot of us just want a gaming console that has some nice extra features. Maybe we don't call Kinect and cable TV and Skype "innovation" in a gaming console. Maybe we want to support Xbox One like we did with Xbox 360, but we are getting a voice activated remote control at extra cost on a console with Windows 8 format and functions we loved that need an update to work properly four months after release. Maybe Microsoft should've thought about their customer base before trying to release a pointless multimedia device with a digital premise that consoles aren't quite ready for yet. This isn't Steam, I already own a cable box, and I can do most of the media offered on other devices without an extra paywall.

But I expect "Xbox 360.5 and PS3.5" comments from a lot of people here. I played Xbox One briefly for the first time today (KI demo at Gamstop). The controller was nice and the graphics were nice. I'd love to buy a Xbox One at $400 without Kinect. I want to play all of the awesome exclusives on both consoles this generation because I didn't get to last generation.

I hope that Microsoft does something horrendous that not even the Defense Force and fanboys can rally behind. (I'm not calling you one of them, TC, btw. Your posts are usually fair from what I've seen.) Then maybe they'll understand what many (not all) people are saying and why a lot of us have issues with Xbox One.
---
I'd like to play DayZ on consoles.
People who agree: 9
#5RyuuHou25Posted 1/31/2014 10:47:17 PM
aszsith posted...

1 - Nothing was "forced". Kinect was a key component and they altered the design to accommodate some critics.
2 - This was changed BEFORE launch, not after.
3 - Wouldn't have had to be patched were it not to cater to the complaints.
4 - 8% is a decent upgrade. Better than ignoring the issue. We'll have to wait to see the impact on games.
5 - It is a concession based on price, while not optimal, but again, is addressing a complaint.
6 - Why would they want people to trade in a 360 they can still profit by selling games to the consumer who kept it? Of course they want to take consumers from their competitor.
7 - Because people here seem to think MS is ignoring consumers which isn't true. Plus the fanboysim of others entertains me.

1 - It's forced, people HAVE to have it, there are no options to buy a console without the thing.

2 - Nobody knew until AFTER console release that games would have to be fully installed (at least not until a week or so before launch)

3 - Not an excuse for why it wasn't already there on the console.

4 - 8% is paltry pittance. It's not going to affect much and this has already been shown.

5 - Addressing one complaint while quite clearly causing another is not addressing anything. It's just shifting focus from one thing while creating another.

6 - Hence the issue people have with it being so blatant.

7 - They're not ignoring people, but they're not fully listening to them either. And you seriously need Gfaqs to entertain you?
---
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liGiTVdVu1A
#6staticxtreme5Posted 1/31/2014 10:50:21 PM
If you don't like the console, don't buy it. Kinect isn't being forced on you because no ones forcing you to buy the One. I, for one, like the way the console is at the moment. Sure, there are flaws, but there isn't anything that I don't expect to be dealt with in a patch at some point. I feel like a lot of people just don't really "get" the reason some of the features are included.

The TV integration, for example. Sure, you don't HAVE to have it, and your TV worked just fine the way it was before, but it is a nice feature and part of what sold me on the One. Being able to see the overlay anytime I want to without having to change TV inputs is nice, as well as quick access to friends and notifications. Not to mention that SOME TV providers don't offer a good built in guide, so the oneguide is another bonus for them.

The ability to control your TV with voice controls or smartglass is another nice feature. Sure, you don't have to have them but in some cases they are more convenient. It doesn't mean it's forced or you can't use your remotes as you always have but why complain about an extra feature?

I look forward to the day I can come to this board and not see that 3/4 of the topics here are troll or complaint topics. If you don't like the system don't buy it.
#7EternalStutterPosted 1/31/2014 10:55:24 PM
aszsith posted...

Its a damn novel
#8aszsith(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2014 11:00:44 PM
CaIiber345 posted...
Maybe a lot of us aren't "complaining." Maybe a lot of us just want a gaming console that has some nice extra features. Maybe we don't call Kinect and cable TV and Skype "innovation" in a gaming console. Maybe we want to support Xbox One like we did with Xbox 360, but we are getting a voice activated remote control at extra cost on a console with Windows 8 format and functions we loved that need an update to work properly four months after release. Maybe Microsoft should've thought about their customer base before trying to release a pointless multimedia device with a digital premise that consoles aren't quite ready for yet. This isn't Steam, I already own a cable box, and I can do most of the media offered on other devices without an extra paywall.

But I expect "Xbox 360.5 and PS3.5" comments from a lot of people here. I played Xbox One briefly for the first time today (KI demo at Gamstop). The controller was nice and the graphics were nice. I'd love to buy a Xbox One at $400 without Kinect. I want to play all of the awesome exclusives on both consoles this generation because I didn't get to last generation.

I hope that Microsoft does something horrendous that not even the Defense Force and fanboys can rally behind. (I'm not calling you one of them, TC, btw. Your posts are usually fair from what I've seen.) Then maybe they'll understand what many (not all) people are saying and why a lot of us have issues with Xbox One.

Oh, I'll be the first to agree that Microsoft has made some missteps with this latest console. But expecting them to completely overhaul the system isn't reasonable. Both sides (consumers and Microsoft) need to accept that there are parts of the console that are fundamental to its design and can't be changed.

Imagine if Microsoft responded to the complaints of being underpowered: If they were to do a major overhaul of the system by improving the internal specs to be comparable with the PS4 that would make NEW consumers very happy. But it would alienate at least 3.9 Million people who now have inferior hardware. Were developers to make games for the new hardware, they wouldn't work on the old hardware. This isn't an option.

Early adoption means paying more and getting screwed in the long run. But we expect all XBOne games to work on all XBOne units. Therefore Microsoft CANNOT address that issue without a recall, and that's too costly to do.

I think mature early adopters could accept a Kinect-less option being offered, but dropping Kinect is one concession I don't see Microsoft making in the short run.
---
#9StealthyVlad101Posted 1/31/2014 11:13:04 PM
The trade-in deal works with a PS3, Xbox 360 S, or an Xbox 360 E... it's not just for the PS3.
---
There are many worlds, but they all share the same sky, one sky one wish. GT and PSN: StealthyVlad
#10RyuuHou25Posted 2/1/2014 12:29:54 AM
staticxtreme5 posted...
If you don't like the console, don't buy it. Kinect isn't being forced on you because no ones forcing you to buy the One. I, for one, like the way the console is at the moment. Sure, there are flaws, but there isn't anything that I don't expect to be dealt with in a patch at some point. I feel like a lot of people just don't really "get" the reason some of the features are included.

The TV integration, for example. Sure, you don't HAVE to have it, and your TV worked just fine the way it was before, but it is a nice feature and part of what sold me on the One. Being able to see the overlay anytime I want to without having to change TV inputs is nice, as well as quick access to friends and notifications. Not to mention that SOME TV providers don't offer a good built in guide, so the oneguide is another bonus for them.

The ability to control your TV with voice controls or smartglass is another nice feature. Sure, you don't have to have them but in some cases they are more convenient. It doesn't mean it's forced or you can't use your remotes as you always have but why complain about an extra feature?

I look forward to the day I can come to this board and not see that 3/4 of the topics here are troll or complaint topics. If you don't like the system don't buy it.

Not being forced to buy the console does not negate the fact the Kinect IS forced on those who buy it. Can you buy the console without it? No? Then if you buy it, it's being forced on you genius. Thinking is hard, I know.
---