What was the first game this generation to disappoint you, and the first to wow?

#1SigmaLongshotPosted 2/1/2014 9:57:23 AM
Simple Simons, something-pie man. I can't remember if Simple Simon WAS a pie-man, or if he MET a pie-man. Or indeed, if the "pie-man" was a man who sold pies, or was actually comprised of pies.

Eh, er... so what I'm getting at is that the topic is simple. Post this generation's first game that you purchased where you felt genuinely let-down, disappointed, mis-sold or otherwise short-changed. Then, post the first game this generation where you felt you got everything you paid for, and then some!

Put some reasons if you fancy - there's nothing wrong with a bit of description and exposition to spice up a thread. BACKSTORY BRO!

So here we go - THIS GEN'S FIRST DISAPPOINTMENT, AND FIRST BULLSEYE-BRILLIANT GAME, IN YOUR OPINION?
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#2SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2014 10:10:21 AM
MY FIRST POSITIVELY SURPRISINGLY BRILLIANT CURRENT-GEN GAME: Rayman Legends, Wii U.
This was the first game I got for my Wii U and being a massive fan of Origins, Legends didn't just ramp up the awesome, but it showcased the Wii U gamepad excellently.

On the XB1, it'd be Dead Rising 3; the first game I installed, and as soon as I got Nick outside to the plane crash intro section, I genuinely said, "Aw, WHAT?!" - the sheer number of zombies made it seem like the game was telling me, "you've got no chance to go this way". But I ploughed through with wrenches, handbags and old bits of traffic light, desperately smashing heads and clambering through, panicking the whole way.

MY FIRST SUPER-DISAPPOINTING CURRENT-GEN GAME: Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, Wii U.
After loving both of the first two, and hearing bad things about the third, I held off until the Wii U's "definitive edition" of it to try it out. Sadly, it was definitively dire. How could they completely miss the point of everything that Ninja Gaiden is? It was completely button-mashery, simple, and even the harder modes were a walkover. Major disappointment.
---
#3SkeddyConwayPosted 2/1/2014 10:18:56 AM
The first to disappoint is the glitchy mess that is Madden 25. Most others have impressed, especially Tomb Raider as I never even saw it the first time around (wasn't playing too much 360 towards the end of its life...)
---
...like hearding cats, if the cats stopped every so often to call you gay.
GT/PSN/GC: Skedd
#4a687947Posted 2/1/2014 10:24:02 AM
First game to impress me was dead rising 3, the one that's impressed me the most is probably ac4: black flag. I haven't been disappointed yet.
#5aszsithPosted 2/1/2014 11:11:26 AM
Ryse was the first now-current-gen game I played, so by default it wins the First to Impress Award.

I've bought and played AC IV, BF4, DR3, Killer Instinct, Lego Marvel, Madden 25, NFS Rivals, and Ryse for XBOne. Of those, I "traded" Madden to a friend to settle a Fantasy Football League payment debt. I was willing to part with it instead of the $50 I owed the friend in part because it didn't "WOW" me.

Then again, Lego Marvel hasn't "WOW'd" me as a next gen title either, but that's doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the crap out of the fun game.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#6Reece504Posted 2/1/2014 11:22:29 AM
Last gen game that blew me away had to be a tie between farcry 3 and metro last light

Now I would say when I popped in ryse everything looks beautiful the whole game seems cgi and seeing all the zombies when you broke out at the beginning of dr3 wowed me. I was like whoa look at all this lol
---
PSN:Knickyknucklez 360:Kn1ckyknucklez Wii-U:KnickyKnucklez
#7BoomerTheGreatPosted 2/1/2014 11:33:41 AM
The first game to wow me was ZombiU, which I got back in March because the concept was quite cool because you had an element of instaKill going on if you was reckless.

The first game to disappoint me was Knack. I
played the demo granted, but it just felt so plain.

I was also quite dissapointed in the X1 game loads as well. It took my brother 3 full days to DL NBA2K14.
---
Greatness comes from within
#8SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2014 3:29:09 AM
BoomerTheGreat posted...
The first game to wow me was ZombiU, which I got back in March because the concept was quite cool because you had an element of instaKill going on if you was reckless.

The first game to disappoint me was Knack. I
played the demo granted, but it just felt so plain.

I was also quite dissapointed in the X1 game loads as well. It took my brother 3 full days to DL NBA2K14.

I was eager to get into ZombiU, I only played a little of it and moved on to bigger titles like some kind of gaming magpie. I'm now interested in going back to playing it - I really love the roguelike, insta-death setup.
---
#9lunaticcorePosted 2/2/2014 3:32:17 AM
Me and my buddies are like crazy rage disappointed with Ghosts. We basically make it a few matches in every time we give it a shot only to get fed up with how bad this one is.

Dead Rising 3 pretty much had me in wow mode from the start.
#10Lawboy2Posted 2/2/2014 3:41:18 AM
Biggest wow TITANFALL

Biggest disappointment BF4