Does having your tv on game mode increase electricity consumption ?

#1stillwastedPosted 2/1/2014 7:59:35 PM
We get our electricity bill every two months. It went by 100 quid for December and January.
I started putting my tv on game mode for the two next gen consoles., but I really only played them a lot on launch week so it can't really be them.

My girlfriend also had Christmas lights up and she bought a electric heater that she had on a lot over the holidays.

So now the Christmas lights are gone, and she's not really using the heater as much. So I'm trying to figure out what might still keep that bill up.

Anyone know if changing your tv from Eco mode to game mode makes a big difference?
---
GT: Mivce69er
Psn: Mivce69er
#2GGearXPosted 2/1/2014 8:03:02 PM
no way anon, eco mode has been proven to not work at all. also game mode doesnt really work either , unless your tv is outdated from like 2007
---
GT- Neon KnLght
So like. You wanna play?
#3stillwasted(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2014 8:09:40 PM
GGearX posted...
no way anon, eco mode has been proven to not work at all. also game mode doesnt really work either , unless your tv is outdated from like 2007

I got it new a month or so before the xbone launched.
The only thing the 'game mode' does as far as I can see is increase the brightness
---
GT: Mivce69er
Psn: Mivce69er
#4OUberLordPosted 2/1/2014 9:01:58 PM
Game mode on many TVs makes it run at a lower refresh rate, which usually means that there is less latency involved in processing the frames. However, I doubt it has that much of an impact on power consumption.
#5AzaneAzerPosted 2/1/2014 9:03:56 PM
Your TVs overall wattage use even if used 24/7 will barely be noticeable on an electric bill.
#6SolisPosted 2/1/2014 9:33:29 PM
OUberLord posted...
Game mode on many TVs makes it run at a lower refresh rate, which usually means that there is less latency involved in processing the frames. However, I doubt it has that much of an impact on power consumption.

No setting on a TV will have any affect at all on its refresh rate.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#7Laylow12Posted 2/1/2014 9:39:28 PM
Game mode strips all your TV processing away that makes your picture look pretty. It's designed to reduce latency in games like fighting games where one sec frame latency between controller input and what you see on screen can throw off your timing. I wouldn't bother to turn it off unless your having a latency problem in your games, which is highly unlikely.

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#8PulpPosted 2/2/2014 3:32:36 AM
I leave my 50" plasma on practically 24/7. Adds about 25 bucks a month to my bill. The only thing that eats more power is my surround sound system (theoretically -- if I left it on 24/7, which I don't).

So your "mode" wouldn't explain your bill. An electric heater sure will though.
---
Contest Abuse - You have lost the right to dispute or appeal further moderations.
#9_SCOTSLADPosted 2/2/2014 3:38:08 AM
It's winter, bills go up in winter.

Like you said you have extra heaters also drying clothes in a dryer not outside on a line, more lights on for longer it all adds up.
---
"I just heard a *FUMP* sound, like that of a billion fanboy heads exploding in unison."