The "Great Game Remake", "Crap Game Forgotten" paradox

#1SigmaLongshotPosted 2/2/2014 11:12:31 AM
Has anyone else ever thought about this?

It's mostly evident in games and movies. When a large game or film developer thinks about digging up the graves of long-rested movies or videogames, they instantly go to the really well-rated ones, the critically-acclaimed and well-respected ones. Sometimes they're not even that old - but they still opt to remake them, just resting on the laurels and acclaim of their previous iteration.

What results in the majority (but not ALL) of these situations is that there's a fanbase backlash, that it simply "wasn't nearly as good" as the previous version we all know and love. Everything from Oldboy to Robocop, everything from Turtles in Time to Bomberman - every time there's a remake of a great game, it results in unbridled outrage.

BUT - but - here's the thing. Why does nobody ever attempt to remake the CRAP games and movies? Surely THOSE would benefit more from a quality remake? Why take the Mona Lisa and attempt to remake it in HD with updated media functionality (only to produce a monstrosity that offends millions) when you could take your kid's terrible finger-painting of a giraffe that happens to look like some kind of jobby monster, remake it, and make it a really cool giraffe painting?

All I'm saying is it makes no sense to me. Anyone else? Crap games should be remade - NOT the great ones?
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#2SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2014 11:51:15 AM
Nobody else feel this way?

If I was a superhero I'd be IN THE MINORITY MAN.
---
#3scoobydoobydontPosted 2/2/2014 11:53:20 AM
1) They remake crap all the time (see Ironside, Beauty and the Beast, Lone Ranger, etc).

2) Remaking is an attempt to capitalize on something people have heard of, they don't care about the fans (usually). They only care that the name alone will bring in X millions of dollars.

3) If they did actually stick to only remaking high quality/beloved things as you suggest, it makes perfect sense because of 2. A beloved thing will generate instant buzz, a forgotten thing would earn, well, less if any buzz.
---
''ALL games should at least have single player. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will.'' -aszsith
#4SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2014 12:05:10 PM
scoobydoobydont posted...
1) They remake crap all the time (see Ironside, Beauty and the Beast, Lone Ranger, etc).

2) Remaking is an attempt to capitalize on something people have heard of, they don't care about the fans (usually). They only care that the name alone will bring in X millions of dollars.

3) If they did actually stick to only remaking high quality/beloved things as you suggest, it makes perfect sense because of 2. A beloved thing will generate instant buzz, a forgotten thing would earn, well, less if any buzz.

Ah, I know the WHYS, Scooby. I just asked if you think they SHOULD.

Think of all the great ideas gone to waste through terrible execution...
---
#5scoobydoobydontPosted 2/2/2014 12:11:49 PM
Oh. Well, personally I wouldn't bother with good or bad past IPs, I'd just do a new IP that borrows from my fav old IP. More room for creative freedom, no baggage from old IPs/fans.
---
''ALL games should at least have single player. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will.'' -aszsith
#6SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2014 12:38:41 PM
scoobydoobydont posted...
Oh. Well, personally I wouldn't bother with good or bad past IPs, I'd just do a new IP that borrows from my fav old IP. More room for creative freedom, no baggage from old IPs/fans.

I fully agree with your notion of "new IP, similar treads". Best of both worlds. But then we get awesome games like Okami, and people don't buy them because they're "smelly Zelda clones!"

Basically I think, we shouldn't try to remake the Killer 7s, the Jousts, the Final Fantasy 9s and all the other wonderful classic games. Instead we should focus on remaking the games that sucked, but had great intentions. Things like Daikatana - games that started off making people salivate at the idea, but when produced, made us vomit.
---
#7straymatterPosted 2/3/2014 2:01:13 PM
I think it is a great idea, they could fix up these potentially great games...

Bruce Lee - Quest of the Dragon - Larger more open levels
Dino Crisis 3 - Better camera system
Fusion Frenzy 2 - Maybe add some xbox characters, maybe more settings and more arenas? This could tie into Kinect sports rivals