Is it Worth It to Buy an Xbox One Just for the TV Entertainment Features?

#21CapwnDPosted 2/3/2014 3:02:28 PM
method115 posted...
Hell no you'd be better of building your own HTPC.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. A HTPC alone isn't always the best solution for most people. Unless you don't care about things like 5.1 and upscaled non-HD stuff.

With a Roku and an HDPC, or a HTPC Windows 8 (only way to get Netflix 5.1 on PC, and you still can't get 5.1 Amazon Prime on PC) and a descent graphics card (if you want your non-HD video looking as good as a console would upscale it) then it would be a better suggestion.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#22SampsonM(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2014 3:06:02 PM
What's a better solution?

I already have many, many things attached to my main TV:

An HTPC for movie files, Showtimeanytime (i have a wireless mouse+keyboard, but controlling an HTPC is not an ideal experience)
An Apple TV for HBO Go, Netflix
A PS3 for Blu ray movies, Amazon Instant Video
Cable box for cable

I want a device that would consolidate this down to one interface, and not have to waste time switching from device to the next.
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#23CapwnDPosted 2/3/2014 3:18:07 PM(edited)
SampsonM posted...
What's a better solution?

I already have many, many things attached to my main TV:

An HTPC for movie files, Showtimeanytime (i have a wireless mouse+keyboard, but controlling an HTPC is not an ideal experience)
An Apple TV for HBO Go, Netflix
A PS3 for Blu ray movies, Amazon Instant Video
Cable box for cable

I want a device that would consolidate this down to one interface, and not have to waste time switching from device to the next.

The Xbox One doesn't replace the cable box, it's an IR blaster that changes the channel using IR like a remote. Doesn't need to be facing the cable box or anything. The Xbox Oneguide is a much better interface to look at and scroll through, but I still use a controller to scroll through rather than use voice. I'll use voice to bring it up, then use the controller to scroll to what I want, and select it by pressing the button. You could navigate only with voice, but controller is easier for now.

So you'd still need a cable box, unless you want to use something like Time Warner's app if you have Time Warner. You'd then get most of the stations in HD, but no network stations like Fox.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#24TBONE_OGPosted 2/3/2014 3:20:37 PM
Xbox has plenty of games that are not FPS. So you could game on it.
---
Always O.G.