Halo vs Gears

#1EternalStutterPosted 2/4/2014 10:06:07 AM
If you absolutely had to pick ONE game to play and the other one got cancelled/scrapped for good. Would you rather play the next Halo or the next Gears of War game?

As much as I love the halo series, Gears of War 1 blew my mind when I first played it, the graphics were simply glorious, jaw dropped...I would love to see them do that again on next gen...plus the games are hella fun
#2Lawboy2Posted 2/4/2014 10:07:14 AM
Sorry halo...but u got to go if I have to choose...gears is my favorite franchise of all time
#3EternalStutter(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2014 10:10:13 AM
Lawboy2 posted...
Sorry halo...but u got to go if I have to choose...gears is my favorite franchise of all time

Gears is the bomb
#4vivalabuck92Posted 2/4/2014 10:13:15 AM
I'd say Gears of War. I still feel like they have plenty of directions they can go with that series. Side note, I'm one of the few that liked Judgement.
---
Gamertag: NeverTooWhite
#5Kovalchuk_Posted 2/4/2014 10:15:44 AM
Gears.
---
3754-7115-0719
#6therickmu25Posted 2/4/2014 10:23:40 AM
I randomly went back to Gears 3 last night with my roomate and instantly were having a blast and played for 3 hours straight.

There's nothing like it that even comes close in the TPS genre.
---
PC: http://i.imgur.com/9Ho6VA1.jpg
#7Kupo_Mog_KupoPosted 2/4/2014 10:28:00 AM
I'd say as a whole I've enjoyed the Halo series more but looking back on it I liked Gears 3 more than any Halo game...whatever sense that makes lol.
---
If LeBron shoots below 56 percent for the regular(obviously) season(2013-14) I'll close my account.
#8SigmaLongshotPosted 2/4/2014 10:44:06 AM
I would opt for Halo.

In terms of design (both visual and skeletal), Halo edges out Gears in many ways. In fact back when I did my Master's Degree it was when the original Gears came out, and it was used by our industry lecturers as an example of bad visual design.

Even using the most basic techniques such as the silhouette technique - you can see what they mean (the silhouette technique is where you take the frame of a character, vehicle or weapon, colour it in entirely black, and try to identify exactly what you're being shown instantly). In Gears of War (original only), the game features muscular humanoids carrying rifles. Your enemies are muscular humanoids carrying rifles. Both silhouettes are extremely similar. In Halo, you are a humanoid and your comrades are humanoid, but the silhouettes of your enemies are: little tortoise beaver-thing, tall cobra-headed satyr thing, little lithe raptor-esque skinny beastie, and so on. Every enemy is instantly recognised from silhouette alone.

And not just talking about silhouettes - the dichotomy of human and alien technology (in fact arguably the only muddiness started to appear when Forerunner tech got added in, which didn't differentiate enough to be "unique") - Assault rifle, Charge-up EMP pistol, Gun that fires purple homing explosion glass, grenade launcher with a Bat'leth on the end and so forth - every one of the weapons is completely and utterly unique.

Halo also introduced the gameplay trifecta - Gunfire, Melee and Grenades. In FPS, usually the most important thing would be gunfire, but in Halo all three have equal weight in causing damage to your foes, meaning you are always switching range to be effective. This makes battle more intimate. Include increased damage (shields) lengthening battles to allow for more strategy, and increased mobility (with the infamous space-leaping) and Halo is more about psychological mind-games than twitch-shooter reflexes.

Gears of War got a LOT better as the series progressed, but I still say Halo is a far better example of more fun, accomplished game design.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#9MurryEB_Alt1Posted 2/4/2014 10:47:07 AM
Halo^2

I would do unforgiving things for anything FPS Halo, remake or new game. I say FPS because Spartan Assault and Wars, while fun, aren't what I want.
---
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite sig on the Citadel
#10EternalStutter(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2014 11:07:15 AM
SigmaLongshot posted...
I would opt for Halo.

In terms of design (both visual and skeletal), Halo edges out Gears in many ways. In fact back when I did my Master's Degree it was when the original Gears came out, and it was used by our industry lecturers as an example of bad visual design.

Even using the most basic techniques such as the silhouette technique - you can see what they mean (the silhouette technique is where you take the frame of a character, vehicle or weapon, colour it in entirely black, and try to identify exactly what you're being shown instantly). In Gears of War (original only), the game features muscular humanoids carrying rifles. Your enemies are muscular humanoids carrying rifles. Both silhouettes are extremely similar. In Halo, you are a humanoid and your comrades are humanoid, but the silhouettes of your enemies are: little tortoise beaver-thing, tall cobra-headed satyr thing, little lithe raptor-esque skinny beastie, and so on. Every enemy is instantly recognised from silhouette alone.

And not just talking about silhouettes - the dichotomy of human and alien technology (in fact arguably the only muddiness started to appear when Forerunner tech got added in, which didn't differentiate enough to be "unique") - Assault rifle, Charge-up EMP pistol, Gun that fires purple homing explosion glass, grenade launcher with a Bat'leth on the end and so forth - every one of the weapons is completely and utterly unique.

Halo also introduced the gameplay trifecta - Gunfire, Melee and Grenades. In FPS, usually the most important thing would be gunfire, but in Halo all three have equal weight in causing damage to your foes, meaning you are always switching range to be effective. This makes battle more intimate. Include increased damage (shields) lengthening battles to allow for more strategy, and increased mobility (with the infamous space-leaping) and Halo is more about psychological mind-games than twitch-shooter reflexes.

Gears of War got a LOT better as the series progressed, but I still say Halo is a far better example of more fun, accomplished game design.

Damn! Props for this man