Digital Games rentals

#1chickabumpbumpPosted 2/6/2014 11:40:50 AM
Okay now I will say i know NOTHING about licencing and marketing and distribution etc etc

I have however worked in QA for Rare and MGS, testing, biometrics on kinect and i was an event host , last one being the reason I bring this up so....during my freelance work I do alot of events and tournaments and I got friendly with alot of reps like EA and nintendo as part of the job and something I always asked them, because the general public I spoke to talked about it.

In England we have no more Blockbuster and theres only websites like lovefilm and netflix, which obv are doing better digitally. Films and music have both boomed MASSIVELY due to digital downloads. Now we all know despite Steam being a rocky road to begin with its regarded as the best online service for gaming now and yes despite this and understandably to some lengths people didnt want consoles to be the same as Steam.

But Games rentals surely would be embraced? Again i have worked in the industry but not in any ways for me to understand marketing. I can see the argument for both sides in money sense as companies would rather sell their game at 40 but hate second hand sales.
But wouldn't say a week rental at 10 mean people who normally buy second hand would rent the game instead.
#2bob15xPosted 2/6/2014 11:44:20 AM
chickabumpbump posted...
Okay now I will say i know NOTHING about licencing and marketing and distribution etc etc

I have however worked in QA for Rare and MGS, testing, biometrics on kinect and i was an event host , last one being the reason I bring this up so....during my freelance work I do alot of events and tournaments and I got friendly with alot of reps like EA and nintendo as part of the job and something I always asked them, because the general public I spoke to talked about it.

In England we have no more Blockbuster and theres only websites like lovefilm and netflix, which obv are doing better digitally. Films and music have both boomed MASSIVELY due to digital downloads. Now we all know despite Steam being a rocky road to begin with its regarded as the best online service for gaming now and yes despite this and understandably to some lengths people didnt want consoles to be the same as Steam.

But Games rentals surely would be embraced? Again i have worked in the industry but not in any ways for me to understand marketing. I can see the argument for both sides in money sense as companies would rather sell their game at 40 but hate second hand sales.
But wouldn't say a week rental at 10 mean people who normally buy second hand would rent the game instead.

it will happen, but it will be always online so people have to deal with that.
#3chickabumpbump(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2014 11:45:54 AM
Theres no reason it cant happen now. Again I dont know how licence agreements work but movies delete themselves after a set time when you rent them, same thing would work with games?

I suppose looking at it , I cant see publishers going for it unless it will help kill second hand games and put the money from that into the rentals
#4PannerPosted 2/6/2014 11:51:00 AM
Isnt something like this happening with PS NOW.
You can either rent a title or buy the license to keep it.

Ive not read too much about it so could some correct me?
---
Gamertag : Steel Hunter
NNID : SteelHunter PSN Firegor
#5bob15xPosted 2/6/2014 11:53:21 AM
chickabumpbump posted...
Theres no reason it cant happen now. Again I dont know how licence agreements work but movies delete themselves after a set time when you rent them, same thing would work with games?

I suppose looking at it , I cant see publishers going for it unless it will help kill second hand games and put the money from that into the rentals

I think the game would just have a time stamp.

it does suck that blockbuster went under. now its either pay full price for a game or not buy it at all.

I have used steam to help fill that need somewhat. There are games I am not willing to pay full price for so I wait for a steam sale 6 months to a year later and buy for under 10.

even though my vid card cost 400 i actually think I made my money back thanks to those sales
#6CourtofOwlsPosted 2/6/2014 1:45:38 PM
steam already does it almost every weekend
whatever game is on sale you can download and play for free thursday to sunday,it uses a timer
borderlands 2 this week
---
[?]
Boycott Best Buy!
#7PulpPosted 2/6/2014 1:46:58 PM
Sega Channel was way ahead of its time.
---
Contest Abuse - You have lost the right to dispute or appeal further moderations.