Was anyone else hoping Microsoft would have kept the DRM?

#61MrImpatient35Posted 2/20/2014 4:36:27 PM
Bikes- posted...
Get a gaming rig with steam, it's pretty much the original XB1 but competently executed.

When I first heard about it, I thought it was a bad idea, mainly because I never owned a gaming rig or used steam. THEN, I thought it would eventually be awesome. Not right away, but after maybe 6 months, it would be close to or as awesome as Steam is. I guess we'll never know now.
---
Can Titanfall hurry up and get in my life already?!!!
#62TheSilentRavenPosted 2/20/2014 4:54:58 PM
I think both companies should have adopted the idea. It gives money back to developers and the console creators.
#63gogogodzillaPosted 2/20/2014 8:59:11 PM
aszsith posted...
TaffmanG posted...
It would have been commercial suicide.

They were testing the water and got bitten although I have no doubt they will slowly and surely bring these features back in future updates.

I'm no business expert but Microsoft could have had this gen wrapped up if they had announced a backwards compatible machine with no Kinect, no DRM, no anti consumer features.

If they'd have concentrated on making a gaming machine that you could still play with your XBox 360 friends (word of mouth about how good the machine was would have encouraged more switching) then PS4 wouldn't have stood a chance.

Because of their stance however, I (and I suspect many others) migrated to Sony.

So basically you think Microsoft should have made a Super360? This is the mentality that holds the industry back. If you don't want innovation, pick a hobby that isn't solely based on new technology, like woodworking.

You mean... like how the PS2 was a super PS? Or how the PS3 was a super PS2? Or how the XBox360 was a super XBox?

Or how the Super NES was a... Super NES?

It just holds the industry back, as you say.
---
My Chicken says, "Cluck!"
#64gogogodzillaPosted 2/20/2014 9:01:32 PM
aszsith posted...
BigBOO2U posted...
aszsith posted...
TheCyborgNinja posted...
I would literally choose having diarrhea once every 24 hours in place of that check in.

There is irony in posting to the INTERNET in opposition of something that requires INTERNET.

It cracks me up when people completely misuse the word "irony." Like in the the above example for instance.

It cracks me up more when people don't understand when irony is used correctly, such as in the above example and then ironically point out their own lack of knowledge while attempting to point out someone else's.

irony - noun
a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.

Yes, it's ironic how you can't differentiate between a mandatory check-in... and a voluntary posting at a gaming forum. Mandatory - Voluntary... whooosh, over your head.
---
My Chicken says, "Cluck!"
#65saleamaPosted 2/24/2014 11:54:02 AM
aszsith posted...
Well, let's look at the differences.

Currently - Traditional business model established in last generation.
Buy new disc based games at retail
Buy new digital games through console
Sell disc based games any way you wish
Buy DLC through console
Buy DLC codes at retail
Access digitally bought games from any online connected console

Could have been - Modified business model
Buy new disc based games at retail
Buy new digital games through console
Sell disc based games through authorized retailers
Sell digital games through authorized retailers
Buy DLC through console
Buy DLC codes at retail
Sell DLC through authorized retailers
Access digitally purchased games from any online connected console
Access disc based games from any online connected console
Family sharing allowing access to full games with a limited number of authorized users

The items in bold are what would have been GAINED.
The item in italics is what would have CHANGED.

The only benefit to the old/current way is that gamers can sell disc based games ANY WAY YOU WANT. What was LOST was a lot more though. Fear of change, ignorance of what the change actually was, and mob mentality caused the problem.

Except you are leaving out a few horrible things that changed in order to make it appear that your argument has merit, which it does not.
#66tadmfpolePosted 2/24/2014 12:10:28 PM
MS could still do their great amazing not at all damage control that came about due to the vocal minority backlash family sharing plan on digital games if they wanted to. What is stopping them? The DRM is already there, only thing missing from it is family sharing. They could even include the awesome 24 hour check in option for those interested in using it.
---
my current game collection
http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/tadmfpole/games/owned
#67Bladez_89Posted 2/24/2014 12:26:57 PM
Look at all those modded comments. Them lazy ******* actually moderating today?! My eyes don't believe it.
---
Gamertag: B1ADE5
#68sanjeustPosted 2/24/2014 12:28:51 PM
MrSpaM111 posted...
Family share enabled you to play games for 30 minutes, at which point it asked you to purchase the game yourself, or log on to the account that originally bought the game. It was a glorified demo mode. This has been confirmed by multiple devs since the console launched. Family share did not enable you to just pass games around to everybody on your 'family' list for free. It really wasn't the feature all you lot seem to think it was.

http://www.heyuguysgaming.com/12507/heartbroken-xbox-one-employee-lets-rip-must-read/

"First is family sharing, this feature is near and dear to me and I truly felt it would have helped the industry grow and make both gamers and developers happy. The premise is simple and elegant, when you buy your games for Xbox One, you can set any of them to be part of your shared library. Anyone who you deem to be family had access to these games regardless of where they are in the world. There was never any catch to that, they didn’t have to share the same billing address or physical address it could be anyone. When your family member accesses any of your games, they’re placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour. This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to. When the time limit was up they would automatically be prompted to the Marketplace so that they may order it if liked the game."

Quoted for truth. Microsoft won't give you a hand without asking you for your whole arm in return.