What would it take for you to go all digital?

#51skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2014 9:34:03 AM
dormcaste posted...
The download times are way too slow. If I buy the game digitally, I want it within 5 minutes.

I don't think anyone will have speeds that fast within the next 20 years.
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#52Captain_KhaosPosted 2/7/2014 9:35:09 AM
When they can guarantee I can download a game in 2065, that I purchased in 2014.

When I can download the same game on all future next generation consoles at no additional costs OR console's life can last a person's lifetime.

When I can sell a game that I hate.
#53MixorzPosted 2/7/2014 9:42:55 AM
I like digital when games are on sale. Many of my friends were not willing to try Dark Souls for example until it was $5 on XBLA. Not to mention if every game were available on digital we wouldn't get really hard to find games (like Xenogears on Wii selling for $80 used).

I like the option of both (disc and digital) but to go all digital I think would require certain things:

1) the digital game needs to be transferable to every future console. For example if I buy a game for XB1 digitally, I should be able to download it on future MS consoles, otherwise if people need to keep the console, you may as well just have a disc.

2) some type of mod system like PC.

3) frequent sales. That's one of the positives about Steam is that there are tons of sales. Many people have a fear that if games are only digital there will be no sales. This cannot be the case.

4) access to memory. The cloud has not completely panned out yet, so consoles should come with a lot of memory, but also with capabilities to use things like USBs for storage (things that are easy to find and not very expensive).

I think in the end there will always be people who want discs because they like to have the physical disc.
---
XBox Live GT: Mixorz
Favorite lift: Deadlift
#54aszsithPosted 2/7/2014 9:49:29 AM
dormcaste posted...
skermac posted...
Goblin_Miner posted...
a687947 posted...
other, i have a 250GB data cap

I have a less than 1Mbps speed and a 35GB cap, So i kinda know how you feel.

What country still has a data cap? Canada it looks like? I thought that went out in the 90's? I have ATT Uverse, $35 a month for unlimited, only 6mbps d/l but I never have any problems. It takes close to 3 hours to d/l a 5gb game at that speed but that's fine. I do that while I am out or in bed. But I never have any lag or other problems playing mp online so I have fine with 6mbps d/l speed.

I live in the United States (Iowa) and my bandwidth is capped at 250 GB

Yeah. Many ISP's in the US have data caps and bandwidth throttling. And the recent ruling on Net Neutrality is potentially going to make that MUCH MUCH worse.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#55EnclavePosted 2/7/2014 9:55:56 AM
I dislike the idea of digital only as I hate the idea that eventually my games won't work simply because the company I buy them from decides that I can no longer download them from them again.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#56skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2014 10:19:05 AM
aszsith posted...
dormcaste posted...
skermac posted...
Goblin_Miner posted...
a687947 posted...
other, i have a 250GB data cap

I have a less than 1Mbps speed and a 35GB cap, So i kinda know how you feel.

What country still has a data cap? Canada it looks like? I thought that went out in the 90's? I have ATT Uverse, $35 a month for unlimited, only 6mbps d/l but I never have any problems. It takes close to 3 hours to d/l a 5gb game at that speed but that's fine. I do that while I am out or in bed. But I never have any lag or other problems playing mp online so I have fine with 6mbps d/l speed.

I live in the United States (Iowa) and my bandwidth is capped at 250 GB

Yeah. Many ISP's in the US have data caps and bandwidth throttling. And the recent ruling on Net Neutrality is potentially going to make that MUCH MUCH worse.

wow, I had no idea. I live in a big city is maybe why no caps. Or it could be a big company. Cable and ATT uverse internet has no caps. One of those 2 should be unlimited for everyone I would think.
---
#57MRL3G3NDPosted 2/7/2014 10:54:05 AM
Right now digital only benefits the seller...everyone else gets screwed

They save on manufacturing a physical disc, case, and packaging

They save on warehouse space

They save on transporting their product

They cut the retailers out

You can't resell it so whoever wants to play it has to pay full price

They've boosted their profit up 50%...

What they are too greedy to realize is that some of us are smarter than that

Hypothetically lets say a new game costs $60

-$10 to manufacture and package it
-$10 to ship it/distribute it
-$10 the retailers take
-$10 you lose on every used copy sold

You make $20 on every game
You've sold 1 million
10 mil to create the game
10 mil profit
erase all of the above
You make 60 million, 50 mil profit

works for them, but not me and you...

if they dropped every game from full price to $40 bucks...then we have a reason to go digital.
a good used game is about $35...if you had the choice to have it now day one for $5 more I'd probably do it...it eliminates the used game market.. all profits go to the publisher
you'd make 30mil in profit, but it's better than breaking even...but they want it all too greedy smh

you only have the dinosaurs like me who has a media display where I like to showcase my games and blu-rays to deal with
---
XBOX ONE BF4 CRAZY
http://youtu.be/wndCkss-AJA
#58skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2014 1:38:28 PM
Captain_Khaos posted...
When they can guarantee I can download a game in 2065, that I purchased in 2014.

When I can download the same game on all future next generation consoles at no additional costs OR console's life can last a person's lifetime.

When I can sell a game that I hate.

^ this
---
#59iammchammerPosted 2/7/2014 1:53:07 PM
two reasons, I like to have them to sell when I'm done, and the hard drive currently isn't big enough... and not being removable, it won't be. Unless I were to buy a console with a bigger drive in the future.

But on the other hand, if games were discounted I would buy them, BUT like I said, the hdd isn't big enough.
---
I Love my PS360
Gamer Tag: RedTurbo0 PSN: RedTurbo0