Sniper Elite 3 Dev talks about the eSRAM

#1BigPapi829Posted 2/9/2014 9:35:19 PM
http://gamingbolt.com/xbox-ones-esram-too-small-to-output-games-at-1080p-but-will-catch-up-to-ps4-rebellion-games

Highlights:
Some developers use it for texture streaming, storing z-buffer and praise its ease of use while others have problems Ė how is Rebellion handling that?

-Bolcato stated that, ďIt was clearly a bit more complicated to extract the maximum power from the Xbox One when youíre trying to do that. I think eSRAM is easy to use. The only problem isÖPart of the problem is that itís just a little bit too small to output 1080p within that size.

Goes on to say:
ďIt means you have to do it in chunks or using tricks, tiling it and so on. Itís a bit like the reverse of the PS3. PS3 was harder to program for than the Xbox 360. Now it seems like everything has reversed but it doesnít mean itís far less powerful Ė itís just a pain in the ass to start with. We are on fine ground now but the first few months were hell.Ē

He also said that the PS4 is "at least on paper, a bit more powerful" "But I think the Xbox one will catch up"

In conclusion I believe the PS4 is taking the lead because of ease of development and system architecture, but as Microsoft releases new new SDKs the gap will be reduced to point that it wouldn't be noticeable at least as multiplats go

The RedDragon also puts it nicely:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QssTcR6NfEo
#2Jedi454Posted 2/9/2014 9:36:42 PM
Not interested in the game anyway, but the dev makes a good point.
---
The Xbox One board should be renamed to the Official "Troll Here" board.
#3Reece504Posted 2/9/2014 9:44:57 PM
Jedi454 posted...
Not interested in the game anyway, but the dev makes a good point.

Good point indeed
---
PSN:Knickyknucklez 360:Kn1ckyknucklez Wii-U:KnickyKnucklez
#4OpheliaAdenadePosted 2/9/2014 9:49:15 PM
So no 1080p basically? How next gen. :o
---
They say she's low down, but it's just a rumor I don't believe 'em.
#5garcia_jxPosted 2/9/2014 9:49:28 PM
What's an SDK?
#6Lawboy2Posted 2/9/2014 9:50:28 PM
OpheliaAdenade posted...

No he said once they got the new dev kits it ran 1080 p with ease he was just saying it was really hard to program for it before because the SRAM was so small
#7OpheliaAdenadePosted 2/9/2014 9:53:49 PM
Lawboy2 posted...
OpheliaAdenade posted...

No he said once they got the new dev kits it ran 1080 p with ease he was just saying it was really hard to program for it before because the SRAM was so small

ah, that's great :D
---
They say she's low down, but it's just a rumor I don't believe 'em.
#8Lawboy2Posted 2/9/2014 9:53:56 PM
OpheliaAdenade posted...

They are releasing a new SDK thatís much faster and we will be comfortably running at 1080p on Xbox One.

We were worried six months ago and we are not anymore, itís got better and they are quite comparable machines. The Xbox One is a bit more multimedia, a bit more hub-centric so its a bit more complex. Thereís stuff you can and canít do because itís a sort of multimedia hub. PS4 doesnít have that. PS4 is just a games machine.

Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/xbox-ones-esram-too-small-to-output-games-at-1080p-but-will-catch-up-to-ps4-rebellion-games#7DWxixhBYgmrfqy4.99
#9Lawboy2Posted 2/9/2014 9:55:11 PM
OpheliaAdenade posted...
Lawboy2 posted...
OpheliaAdenade posted...

ah, that's great :D

Also this is a small dev...
#10micheal82Posted 2/9/2014 9:58:00 PM
garcia_jx posted...
What's an SDK?

It's a Software Development Kit.
---
I can shoot a whole load into a guys face and they just brush it off. - Psquared34