titanfall is showing its true colors

#201BlueJester007Posted 2/10/2014 11:37:16 AM
Juzten76 posted...
They just pre-order games for fun.

That might actually be the case.
---
When you tell someone that they don't understand something, be sure to enlighten them instead of just being a vague and pretentious dick.
#202Juzten76Posted 2/10/2014 11:42:05 AM
DaLagga posted...
Juzten76 posted...
<My first online FPS was Quake and then I moved to UT. I've been playing FPS on PC since Wolfenstein so I know what I'm talking about. Pointing and clicking a mouse takes little effort and makes first person shooters a breeze.

It doesn't make it a breeze. What it does is dramatically raise both the skill floor and ceiling compared to players using a controller. But the way you state it, there's not much of a skill difference between PC players because it's such a "breeze" and that clearly is not the case.

When I got Halo on the Xbox it took a while to adjust but once I got the hang of it, I found the experience far more rewarding and natural feeling.

How is it more rewarding when console FPS's are literally designed to do much of the work for you with aim assist? And how is it natural to not have any twitch movements whatsoever? There is no "flick of the wrist" or anything. All you can do is move the stick all the way to achieve a maximum rotation speed. That is anything but natural.

If you prefer the mouse and keyboard thats fine, but I never found it very challenging compared to using a controller. As for auto-aim.... wrong. Don't confuse auto-aim with aim-assist. They are two completely different things and I've yet to play an online FPS on the console that had auto-aim. At least not online.

Aim assist, auto-aim, sticky aim, etc. They're all just variants of the same thing. But go play something like CoD and tell me that it isn't practically like having auto-aim when your iron sights magically snap to the nearest opponent and follow them through walls. When I play an FPS, I want to be in full control of the game and be the one doing all of the work. But on a console, it's an aim assist script that does much of that work.

Worst of all, many shooters have had to be specifically dumbed down to make them more playable on a controller. Halo is a prime example where movements speeds are slow and guns have no recoil - all designed intentionally to make aiming easier. On top of that, melee attacks have a huge arc, aimbot, and deal insane damage to help deal with the fact that aiming up close is much more difficult. So why make console gamers have to aim when we can just turn things into a game of who can spam their melee button first?

The sights don't magically snap to anyone or follow anyone in CoD. The only thing aim-assist does is slightly assist your aim once you actually aim at someone. It doesn't lock-on or follow anyone.

You said it yourself.....
DaLagga posted...

But even then, absolute top tier console players would lose to an average PC player using a M&K.

It takes less skill to play with m&kb. Precision aiming with a thumb is much harder than using your entire arm. That is a FACT.
#203DaLaggaPosted 2/10/2014 11:56:51 AM
Juzten76 posted...
The sights don't magically snap to anyone or follow anyone in CoD. The only thing aim-assist does is slightly assist your aim once you actually aim at someone. It doesn't lock-on or follow anyone.

On the contrary, when you go to ADS mode, the sights do indeed magically snap to the target if your crosshair was reasonably close. And it also follows them a bit, which is why you can often track an enemy after they move behind a wall.

It takes less skill to play with m&kb. Precision aiming with a thumb is much harder than using your entire arm. That is a FACT.

Yes, your are correct in that it is harder to use an analog stick. And if top tier controller users were as good as M&K users, you would have a point. But they aren't. They aren't even in the same league. As I said, the M&K raises both the skill floor and skill ceiling of the user. They start out much better than someone just learning with a controller and in addition, the superior speed and precision of the mouse allows for higher tier gameplay among good players.

To illustrate the situation in a numerical context, let's rate the skill of the user between 1 and 10. A skill of 1 is a player who is so bad they have a lot of trouble just walking through doors and a 10 is a top tier MLG player - the best of the best. With a controller, users fall in between skill levels 1 to about 6. With a M&K, the skill range is more like 3 to 10. So while someone who has never played an FPS before may start out better with a M&K (skill of 3) compared to someone starting out with a controller (skill level of 1), there is also a dramatic skill difference between the best of the best with a controller (skill level 6) and a top tier player using a M&K (skill of 10).

In addition, someone who is extremely good with a controller (skill 5 or 6) would be able to beat someone who is poor with a M&K (skill 3 or 4). But even someone who is relatively average with a M&K (skill 7'ish) would be able to beat the best of players using a controller (skill level 6). Obviously, this assumes that no aim-assist is in use since that will artificially inflate skill levels (artificial in the sense than it is a script doing the work rather than the player).
#204TwinmoldPosted 2/10/2014 12:07:48 PM
You're comparing the two like they compete against each other. You're either a stick shooter, or a PC shooter.

I prefer analogue stick shooters. The increased difficulty in aiming makes the game more fun. Also you can sneak up behind people without everybody and their grandma being able to whip around in an instant.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCptDecaf
#205Juzten76Posted 2/10/2014 12:20:58 PM
DaLagga posted...
Juzten76 posted...

On the contrary, when you go to ADS mode, the sights do indeed magically snap to the target if your crosshair was reasonably close. And it also follows them a bit, which is why you can often track an enemy after they move behind a wall.

Yes, your are correct in that it is harder to use an analog stick. And if top tier controller users were as good as M&K users, you would have a point. But they aren't. They aren't even in the same league. As I said, the M&K raises both the skill floor and skill ceiling of the user. They start out much better than someone just learning with a controller and in addition, the superior speed and precision of the mouse allows for higher tier gameplay among good players.

To illustrate the situation in a numerical context, let's rate the skill of the user between 1 and 10. A skill of 1 is a player who is so bad they have a lot of trouble just walking through doors and a 10 is a top tier MLG player - the best of the best. With a controller, users fall in between skill levels 1 to about 6. With a M&K, the skill range is more like 3 to 10. So while someone who has never played an FPS before may start out better with a M&K (skill of 3) compared to someone starting out with a controller (skill level of 1), there is also a dramatic skill difference between the best of the best with a controller (skill level 6) and a top tier player using a M&K (skill of 10).

In addition, someone who is extremely good with a controller (skill 5 or 6) would be able to beat someone who is poor with a M&K (skill 3 or 4). But even someone who is relatively average with a M&K (skill 7'ish) would be able to beat the best of players using a controller (skill level 6). Obviously, this assumes that no aim-assist is in use since that will artificially inflate skill levels (artificial in the sense than it is a script doing the work rather than the player).

Awareness and map knowledge are 95% of performing well in a FPS. If you know the maps, the spawns, and where your team and the opposing team is going and coming from, you're going to do well regardless of what input you're using.
#206swatkiller546Posted 2/10/2014 12:27:29 PM
Man those Bots are so easy!? I thought they said bots were like facing real life players? O.o
---
FC: 4768-7796-9687
#207DaLaggaPosted 2/10/2014 12:43:42 PM
Juzten76 posted...
Awareness and map knowledge are 95% of performing well in a FPS. If you know the maps, the spawns, and where your team and the opposing team is going and coming from, you're going to do well regardless of what input you're using.

Map knowledge is important, yes. As for awareness, that's one of the biggest limiting factors when using a controller. In most games even with the sensitivity maxed, your ability to turn around with a controller pales in comparison to what you can do with a M&K. If you were to watch me play something like TF2 for example, you'd probably get dizzy because of how much I'm spinning around, checking corners, performing double 180's while in mid air to conserve forward momentum and check for spies, etc. But no matter how good you are with a controller, you can never be anywhere even remotely close to as aware of your surroundings as you can with a mouse.

On top of all that though, the ability to pick out a target, place your crosshair on his head, and control recoil is just as important, if not more so, than knowing the map. The real problem though is, as I've said before, the fact that FPS's in general have to be dumbed down to be playable on consoles. It's precisely why console FPS's have little or no recoil and are typically relatively slow paced compared to Quake or UT. It's why most of them have a simple two weapon limit, have regenerating health, and why melee attacks are powerful and easy to use. In short, consoles, largely thanks to controllers and the fact that console communities tend to be less mature and experienced than PC communities, have really dumbed down most games in the FPS genre.
#208SneakiestNegPosted 2/10/2014 12:47:28 PM
Does it come with twelve year olds making comments about my mother? Although according to the old testament she is a prostitute.
#209-FryShakeWad-Posted 2/10/2014 1:08:50 PM
Hey look another troll.
#210MitchellHachePosted 2/10/2014 1:20:51 PM
We can all say what ever! until we play the game we don't know if were gonna like it or not!
Also think of it as a single player game just with 5 buddys playing with you! Its a sick idea most people have been waiting for ever for a Cod co-op story more! But you can't make everybody happy. And play it or not its gonna sell like hot crossed buns!