I love JRPGs and fighting games. Should I buy an Xbox One?

#21CannondaleBobPosted 2/11/2014 10:16:14 AM
Ps3 seemed like it had more jrpgs then xbox 360, but western rpgs is a different story. The biggest being skyrim was so much better on xbox then ps3, I would keep it a secret if I bought the ps3 version.
#22DaLaggaPosted 2/11/2014 10:54:30 AM
elken posted...
DaLagga posted...
Fr0sTie posted...
Xbox is for going pew pew pew.

Sadly, the most derivative shooters these days have more complexity and imagination behind them than your typical JRPG though.

OMG this person is a complete ignorant and an example of an ordinary and common people opinion.
How you dare to compare the masterpieces of JRPG with those garbage shooters ?

Sorry, but games with overly simplistic combat, generic juvenile characters, and outlandish plots don't exactly make for great experiences. The last JRPG I played was Xenoblade because a lot of people were saying how it was the best JRPG of the generation and throwing all kinds of praise on it. And what did it turn out to be? A game where an androgynous male protagonist teams up with other teenagers in a poorly told and juvenile plot to save the world by using an all powerful sword. On top of that, the combat system was just pitiful and felt more like a really dumbed down MMO with minimal skill or thought involved (i.e. typical of JRPG's).

TheGam3925 posted...
And there's also Etrian Odyssey, Fire Emblem, SMT IV, Project X Zone, Rune Factory 4, SMT Devil Summoner etc.

This is where you downplay/tell me how mediocre these games are, in your opinion of course.

So you list a bunch of games ranging in quality from mediocre to poor and then try to preemptively dismiss criticism by simply pointing out the fact that people are no doubt going to call those games out for being mediocre? Here, let me try it.

War Z, Big Rigs, Dragon Age 2, and Amy are some of the best games ever made.

This is where you downplay/tell me how mediocre these games are, in your opinion of course.

Did it work? Do I win the internets?
#23stawg007Posted 2/11/2014 10:58:26 AM
TheGam3925 posted...
stawg007 posted...
TheGam3925 posted...
DaLagga posted...
Fr0sTie posted...

Sadly, the most derivative shooters these days have more complexity and imagination behind them than your typical JRPG though.

Bravely Default would like to have a word with you.

Yay, one good JRPG in a genre that's been mostly mediocre/garbage post ps2 era and its exclusive to a handheld, a Nintendo handheld

I'm struggling to contain my excitement

And there's also Etrian Odyssey, Fire Emblem, SMT IV, Project X Zone, Rune Factory 4, SMT Devil Summoner etc.

Well I did say mostly

JRPGs last gen were a joke compared to the stuff we got on ps2 and before! Lost Odyssey, ToV and some others were great but nowadays it's a genre with a few gems and a **** load of turds

Hopefully this gen will be a return to form, I personally doubt it though, the days of epic jrpgs are gone imo! FF15 gives me a little hope with the hype and info(although the gameplay trailer wasn't appealing in the slightest, hopefully we will see some exploration and airship stuff soon) and I hope it helps bring back the prestige this once superior genre had but tbh I think it's just going to keep declining sadly
#24TheGam3925Posted 2/11/2014 11:18:17 AM
DaLagga posted...
elken posted...
DaLagga posted...
Fr0sTie posted...

OMG this person is a complete ignorant and an example of an ordinary and common people opinion.
How you dare to compare the masterpieces of JRPG with those garbage shooters ?

Sorry, but games with overly simplistic combat, generic juvenile characters, and outlandish plots don't exactly make for great experiences. The last JRPG I played was Xenoblade because a lot of people were saying how it was the best JRPG of the generation and throwing all kinds of praise on it. And what did it turn out to be? A game where an androgynous male protagonist teams up with other teenagers in a poorly told and juvenile plot to save the world by using an all powerful sword. On top of that, the combat system was just pitiful and felt more like a really dumbed down MMO with minimal skill or thought involved (i.e. typical of JRPG's).

TheGam3925 posted...

So you list a bunch of games ranging in quality from mediocre to poor and then try to preemptively dismiss criticism by simply pointing out the fact that people are no doubt going to call those games out for being mediocre? Here, let me try it.

War Z, Big Rigs, Dragon Age 2, and Amy are some of the best games ever made.

Did it work? Do I win the internets?

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I've never played War Z, Big Rigs, or Army nor do I know anything about them so I will not make an ignorant comment about them. I do own Dragon Age 2 however. You win nothing.
---
People on my ignore list - 0
Because I'm not a cry baby.
#25OpheliaAdenadePosted 2/11/2014 11:27:34 AM
I don't understand why some people can't understand that other people consider different things to be "high quality." What you consider crap could be another person's treasure. :v

And I really hate it when people throw around "androgynous" without knowing what it really means. Androgyny is when you struggle to put a gender on something. Just because your average JRPG protag isn't the hulking, gritty manly man you've come to expect from your games doesn't mean he is androgynous. You know the gender, you're just choosing to belittle them for not being what you expect.

Though I guess it balances out considering Japan finds the typical western manly protagonist to be extremely homoerotic. Gears of War probably looks as gay as a bathhouse to them.
---
They say she's low down, but it's just a rumor I don't believe 'em.
#26samuraigaiden(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2014 11:56:46 AM
OpheliaAdenade posted...
I don't understand why some people can't understand that other people consider different things to be "high quality." What you consider crap could be another person's treasure. :v

And I really hate it when people throw around "androgynous" without knowing what it really means. Androgyny is when you struggle to put a gender on something. Just because your average JRPG protag isn't the hulking, gritty manly man you've come to expect from your games doesn't mean he is androgynous. You know the gender, you're just choosing to belittle them for not being what you expect.

Though I guess it balances out considering Japan finds the typical western manly protagonist to be extremely homoerotic. Gears of War probably looks as gay as a bathhouse to them.

If David Bowie was the protagonist in a JRPG, I'd buy it immediately.
#27nohsnapdragonPosted 2/11/2014 3:13:25 PM
I got my Xbox One just for Killer Instinct since I am a huge fighting game fan. I think Guilty Gear Xrd will make it to the One.Just because games cost so much to make now,companies need as many sales as possible.
---
Don't worry. Just rise your head and run. Feels great doesn't it? Nothing starts until you take action. If you have time to worry then run. - Sonic
#282ndAtomiskPosted 2/11/2014 3:32:21 PM
DaLagga posted...

I agree that the plot wasn't as good as I hoped and combat did get boring. But Shulk wasn't androgynous. He was no Father Nier, but he was still clearly a guy. And the majority of the cast were adults. In fact, only the three starting characters were teenagers and even then they were 18. Everyone else were 21, 30, 40, and 88 respectively.

KiritoArt posted...
The next Guilty Gear is coming to ps4 only I believe

It's also coming to PS3.
---
I'm gonna cut out your eyes and piss in the ****ing sockets! ~ Kaine
http://abload.de/img/zeronailed4xz8o.gif
#29TrickyPonyPosted 2/11/2014 3:38:57 PM
jellybeanmaster posted...
buy n xbox if u want to shoot many things

I realize this is at launch still but unless TC is asking for future releases, the Xbox One right now has an exclusive fighter and the top selling games on the PS4 are..... wait for it......

SHOOTERS!

What world are you guys living in that makes you think Xbox is for pew pew pew?

I mean I like pew pew pew, it's my favorite genre, but still