Microsoft Announces Xbox One Stereo Headset And Adapter For March

#1Dev445Posted 2/11/2014 7:46:28 AM
by Mike Futter

Xbox One gamers, your long exile from the land of high-end gaming headsets is nearly over. Microsoft has confirmed the release window for the much anticipated headset adapter as well as its own stereo headset.

Launching in March in all Xbox One territories, the stereo headset is an over-the-ear design will with a unidirectional chat microphone. Microsoft hasnít disclosed the driver size for the unit. The stereo headset will come with a detachable adapter for use with other headset and retail for $79.99.

For legacy devices that connect to Xbox 360 controllers via a 2.5mm jack, youíll just need to purchase a 3.5mm to 2.5mm cable (or adapter) and a standalone version of the chat adapter that comes with the stereo headset. In order to get surround sound, youíll need to run a digital optical cable to decoder and the chat cable from your headset, through the adapter, to your controller. The chat adapter will cost $24.99. Both devices are scheduled for early March.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/02/11/microsoft-announces-xbox-one-stereo-headset-and-adapter-for-march.aspx
---
"You all say you want to be human, but why would you want to become something so flawed" - Edward Elric - FullMetal Alchemist
GT: ThatBoyNice247
#2MayCauseRedEyesPosted 2/11/2014 7:51:02 AM(edited)
I know it has been said a thousand times, but buying this adapter really feels like a smack in the face. Oh well though, I just gave them five-hundred dollars what's another twenty-five amirite?
---
Nope.
#3motoraptorPosted 2/11/2014 8:07:23 AM
Hope this means the Turtle Beach XO4 and XO7 will also be available in early March, that's what I'm really waiting for.
---
http://i.imgur.com/OnsrjIu.gif
#4aszsithPosted 2/11/2014 10:00:57 AM
MayCauseRedEyes posted...
I know it has been said a thousand times, but buying this adapter really feels like a smack in the face. Oh well though, I just gave them five-hundred dollars what's another twenty-five amirite?

Why does it feel like a slap in the face? Do you expect every accessory ever made for an Xbox product to be future proofed to work on every Xbox product that will ever come out?

Gamers that obviously started gaming in the past 2 generations have NO IDEA how the industry has historically worked.

Nothing from Gen 1 worked on Gen 2 hardware. Nothing from Gen 2 worked on Gen 3 hardware. Nothing from Gen 3 worked on Gen 4 hardware and so forth. See the pattern? It wasn't until Gen 7 that some peripherals became backwards compatible, and that was basically the Gamecube controller on the Wii, and now the Wiimote on the WiiU.

It is a business. The companies want to make money. They do so with peripherals and licensing deals. They make very little on the consoles themselves. This is nothing new.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#5KID VIDPosted 2/11/2014 10:08:33 AM
aszsith posted...
Nothing from Gen 1 worked on Gen 2 hardware. Nothing from Gen 2 worked on Gen 3 hardware. Nothing from Gen 3 worked on Gen 4 hardware and so forth. See the pattern? It wasn't until Gen 7 that some peripherals became backwards compatible, and that was basically the Gamecube controller on the Wii, and now the Wiimote on the WiiU.

This may be true, but you are able to connect an Atari 2600 joystick into a Sega Genesis console.
---
Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KIDD VIDD
#6aszsithPosted 2/11/2014 10:15:55 AM
KID VID posted...
aszsith posted...

This may be true, but you are able to connect an Atari 2600 joystick into a Sega Genesis console.

Really? Interesting. I never would have even thought to try that. I can't imagine it actually worked as a control device for any Genesis games since they were designed with 3-button (or 6-button) control.

Still, it's not quite the point here. There is no reason to expect that any 360 peripherals should work on the XBOne. Would it be nice? Sure it would. Would Microsoft benefit from offering it? No. It would COST them money. Why then, should they do something that would only incur them cost and gain them little to no actual sales? They are in business to make money, not friends.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#7jehuti2468Posted 2/11/2014 11:37:02 AM
Im sorry for my noob question but does this mean i can use my turtle beach for surround sound audio?
Or is this adapter only for chat?
Thx in adv
---
"would you like SOME PUNCH TO DRINK? hahaha" soda popinski from super punch out LMFAO
#8TBONE_OGPosted 2/11/2014 11:40:21 AM
The price of adapter isn't that bad. At least it gives easy access to voice options.
---
Always O.G.
#9elbarto1Posted 2/11/2014 12:08:22 PM
i prefer using a genesis controller on my atari 2600.
---
I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!
:XBL: THE B0DY :PSN: THE_BODY_ :NNID: The_B0DY
#10Troll_DirectoryPosted 2/11/2014 12:10:10 PM
Dev445 posted...
For legacy devices that connect to Xbox 360 controllers via a 2.5mm jack, youíll just need to purchase a 3.5mm to 2.5mm cable (or adapter) and a standalone version of the chat adapter that comes with the stereo headset.
update: a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter is included