So this News about Microsoft shareholder's wanting them to drop Xbox

#1its_mattPosted 2/11/2014 7:03:21 AM(edited)
Seems a little short sighted because Xbox1 seems an attempt for Microsoft to dominate living room entertainment and backing out now just seems short sighted
#2EnclavePosted 2/11/2014 7:45:41 AM
It's not really short sighted. The share holders know that the money Microsoft makes from consumers is chump change compared to what they make from enterprises. That's what they want Microsoft to focus on. They see Bing, Surface and Xbox as distractions, distractions that are lowering potential revenue significantly.

It's not without precedent after all. IBM was still making money off the consumer market but decided that they made WAY more off enterprises, so they axed their consumer products and focused exclusively on enterprises and their revenues went WAY up.

Remember, the share holders only care about what will make them the absolute most money and if the consumer market won't net them those absolutely highest revenues then they would prefer they were axed for more profitable markets.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#3Special-EddPosted 2/11/2014 7:48:47 AM
Enclave posted...
It's not really short sighted. The share holders know that the money Microsoft makes from consumers is chump change compared to what they make from enterprises. That's what they want Microsoft to focus on. They see Bing, Surface and Xbox as distractions, distractions that are lowering potential revenue significantly.

It's not without precedent after all. IBM was still making money off the consumer market but decided that they made WAY more off enterprises, so they axed their consumer products and focused exclusively on enterprises and their revenues went WAY up.

Remember, the share holders only care about what will make them the absolute most money and if the consumer market won't net them those absolutely highest revenues then they would prefer they were axed for more profitable markets.

Pretty much this. If shareholders see something that isn't making money quickly or has potential to grow they want it axed before it hurts the bottom dollar. Obviously them dropping the Xbox isn't going to happen anytime soon.

So I guess it is short sighted in a way but really they are just looking out for their investments which is understandable.
---
RebelGameMaster: You can't say poop is better than french toast because some people like the taste of poop.
Proud day one adopter of PS4 and Xbox One
#4userfrigginamePosted 2/11/2014 7:58:08 AM(edited)
Yeah, shareholders care about their own short term profits. They don't care of a company's future, as they can sell their shares when they foresee it starting to plummet. And nor do they care about the other ppl it will affect aside from themselves. Although, I personally think gaming doesn't need identical consoles that pretty much play 90% of the same games. Nevertheless, investors usually have a shallow relationship in their investments.
#5Foxx3kPosted 2/11/2014 7:55:39 AM
its_matt posted...
Seems a little short sighted because Xbox1 seems an attempt for Microsoft to dominate living room entertainment and backing out now just seems short sighted

It's not short-sighted. Those investors want Microsoft to abandon the consumer market and go back to a primarily business-to-business company. I don't know where Windows factors into that.
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#6SunDevil77Posted 2/11/2014 7:57:34 AM
There are two types of shareholders. The ones who want profit/numbers, and the ones who want growth.

The ones that want to get rid of all of these ventures are the stockholders that are just in it for the profit.

For a tech company, there is no such thing as playing it safe with your existing product line. Technology is moving way too fast for that to work.

I can see them possibly selling off the Surface, but everything else is highly unlikely.
---
My teeth are swords, my claws are spears, my wings are a hurricane!
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#7method115Posted 2/11/2014 8:37:56 AM
SunDevil77 posted...
There are two types of shareholders. The ones who want profit/numbers, and the ones who want growth.

The ones that want to get rid of all of these ventures are the stockholders that are just in it for the profit.

For a tech company, there is no such thing as playing it safe with your existing product line. Technology is moving way too fast for that to work.

I can see them possibly selling off the Surface, but everything else is highly unlikely.

I think getting rid of Bing is very possible as well.
---
PSN: method114
#8aszsithPosted 2/11/2014 8:49:31 AM
Interestingly, IBM had declared dividends on common stock of $0.95 per share in 2013. Microsoft was in line with $0.92. In contrast, Apple, which focuses their entire company on consumer products, declared over $14 per share. Of course, that was the first time in YEARS that they paid anything to shareholders, and they had to borrow $17 Billion to do so.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#9RebelGameMasterPosted 2/11/2014 8:59:37 AM
The Truth
5,000,000,000 people on earth.
Top 1% is 5,000,000
If half those rich dudes decided, "Let me get the brand new Xbox because I'm rich and I have money to buy the newest things." Without knowing what we all did at E3 then you can tell who actually bought the XBone.

But in-the-know gamers know the right choice.
---
THE XBONE: http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/576/502/388.jpg