Xbox One Display settings. 24 bits per pixel or 36, RGB Limited or Full? answers

#1Savage_forlifePosted 2/11/2014 11:02:07 AM
Many people are curious or don't understand what this means and what settings they should use. This can shed some light on the subject for beginners. We can all benefit from learning or understanding something new. There is far too much false info and speculation circulating the net about such things like " You can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a TV smaller than 32 inches. " The correct statement would be " You can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a TV smaller than 32 inches from 10 feet away ". On to the XBOX One's settings:

From HardcoreGamer:

The 30 and 36 bits per pixel settings are used for TVs that support “Deep Color.” Most modern HDTVs support this. While 36 bits per pixel is technically the “best option,” there is currently no gaming or movie content that is more than 24 bits per pixel. This means that setting it to this option will have no effect on anything you play on Xbox One. Not every HDMI cable or set-up supports a color depth higher than 24 bits per pixel. If yours does, there really shouldn’t be an issue leaving it on a higher setting, but those with improper set-ups could risk not seeing a picture or an incredibly slight amount of lag (having to convert from 36 to 24 can also possibly introduce additional lag).

. - See more at: http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2013/11/24/how-to-set-color-depth-bits-per-pixel-on-xbox-one/63625/#sthash.WJdV2WbN.dpuf

As for the RGB Limited or RGB Full option, modern TVs can do both but this relates to calibration. You can calibrate your TV to Full and if you do, your input sources' outputs must be set to Full. A PC can do this as well as Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, PS4, Xbox One and Blu-Ray Players. Cable and Satellite boxes do not have the Full or Limited options and far as I know output in RGB Limited. You can calibrate your TV to Limited and all of the above applies. I calibrate my TV to RGB Limited. I set all my input sources to Limited and enjoy a PROPER picture from all sources including my FIOS Cable box.

I tried to keep this explanation as simple as possible. If you would like to learn how to calibrate your TV/MONITOR then order a pair of THX glasses from THX.com ( they are only a few bucks and are necessary when calibrating your color and tint ). Use the " Calibrate HDTV " program built into the XBOX One's settings. It's in the Display and Sound menu. It's simple and pretty good.

HDTVs come from the manufacturers calibrated to RGB Limited. In the meantime, 1080p TV resolution (if you have a 1080p TV), 24 bits per pixel color depth and TV ( RGB Limited ) as well as HDMI (auto-detect) should be the settings you use.

Questions/comments are welcome.
---
If all you have to say is something IGNORANT, then keep it to yourself. On the Internet it's contagious!
#2DOWBLACKNINJAPosted 2/11/2014 11:12:24 AM
Thanks for the info.
---
Gamefaqs where opinions becomes facts.
Tmo U.S. Galaxy S4
#3Savage_forlife(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2014 12:04:28 PM
You are welcome.
---
If all you have to say is something IGNORANT, then keep it to yourself. On the Internet it's contagious!
#4bgorngfnPosted 2/11/2014 12:07:54 PM
What an extremely well written and useful post. Thank you!
---
GT: NaiLSONS
Those who bite the hand that feeds them, will also lick the boot that kicks them.
#5Troll_DirectoryPosted 2/11/2014 12:13:46 PM
good lookin' out. thanks.
#6Savage_forlife(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2014 1:24:31 PM
Happy to oblige.
---
#7shuggyconeheadPosted 2/11/2014 1:28:25 PM
You're no savage....more like a sweet heart.
Eeeeeeee!
---
GT:shuggyconehead
#8Hucast9Posted 2/11/2014 1:35:51 PM
request topic sticky and let the mods decide if it's worth a sticky
#9Savage_forlife(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2014 1:50:20 PM
Shuggyconehead:

Thanks. I am still Savage but I am a teacher and shifted into teacher mode for this topic. LOL
---
#10xemumanicPosted 2/12/2014 11:09:05 PM
Hucast9 posted...
request topic sticky and let the mods decide if it's worth a sticky

How do you request this topic be stickied? I think it deserves it.