Wal-Mart is now bundling a free game of your choice with any Xbone purchase

#121toomanymouthsPosted 2/12/2014 8:11:45 PM
Evel138 posted...
toomanymouths posted...
Evel138 posted...
md22mdrx posted...
Jedi454 posted...
If only Wal-Mart was a thing in Australia.

Trust me, you do NOT want that to happen.

Yeah.....cheaper consumer price points, taxes going into the community coffers, jobs......

Err, wait....I watched that propaganda "documentary" too....Walmart is teh evil.....

How about that every Wal*Mart floor is soaked in a layer of grime, they sell frequently broken products because they accept *ANYTHING* as a return (and without looking put it back on the floor), they put smaller local business out of business (either the prices are higher which means MORE tax money for the community, or the prices are the same which means the same tax money), the pay is barely good enough for a teenager living at home to sustain their ride to work, they are swarmed by obnoxious people (this one's not Wal*Mart's fault; it's the lower price), etc. etc.

I mean seriously? I don't make much money, but I would rather wear the same clothes every day than submit to that store. And I've never seen the documentary.

Let's look at Sam's Club for a moment since they're owned by Wal*Mart and have a nearly identical competitor. They have almost the exact same stock and prices as Costco. The difference? Sam's Club pays minimum wage to the typical employee while Costco pays $15/hour with time and a half on weekends (or is it just Sundays?). How is that possible? Either Costco has much more efficient business practices and can afford to pay employees more (I doubt that Wal*Mart can't figure this out), OR Wal*Mart is extremely greedy and decides the money is better spent on the higher ups than giving people a reasonable wage in today's society.

First of all, its a total myth that "they put smaller local business out of business" (if you've never seen " the high cost of low prices", you've most certainly bought into someone selling the propaganda off on you), but I'm not about to get into a lengthy debate over the subject....

Least of which with someone that has little more than an anecdotal argument at that......

I've never seen the documentary and haven't heard anyone talk about it. It's common sense. Any large chain has a distinct advantage over smaller businesses--they can make less profit from each individual store and still make a much greater profit when you add up the profit from all stores.

The only advantage a small business has is personality, customer service (sometimes), etc. Unfortunately, Wal*Mart has been able to cut costs so low for various reasons that too few people will boycott Wal*Mart in favor of another company.
#122avanentPosted 2/12/2014 8:33:50 PM
SonyPonyTony posted...
I'm lovin' it. Great Xbox One sales keep the ponies up at night while we just keep on playing great games :)

You do realize that's not why companies have sales... Right?

I'm sure Gamestop was advertising that you could buy Aliens Colonial Marines, regular or collectors, for under $10 still unopened because it's just selling amazing well and the company is able to keep up with demand better than other games that aren't getting price drops, right?

There is some amazing fail in understanding of supply and demand and where sales fit in. Some of you guys should try opening up your own businesses and see how well that goes for you.
#123Sin_Angelus_Posted 2/12/2014 10:25:44 PM(edited)
ILikeGamesMan posted...
I need sales info before I can argue any of that. The fact that they are giving away a game with the console doesn't mean a single thing.

Exactly. By that logic, Sony is doing bad because they're giving away free games (rentals) through PSN. But Sony is actually doing bad as a company, so in that case it's true.

avanent posted...
There is some amazing fail in understanding of supply and demand and where sales fit in. Some of you guys should try opening up your own businesses and see how well that goes for you.

But your awesome business sense also should have told you that companies don't have sales just because they're doing bad. Sometimes it's a surplus of stock to one particular store, or because they're actually doing well and can afford to do so, in order to raise consumer perceptions of the company. Or Wal-Mart could be just trying to undercut other retailers so people buy from them instead. Too many reasons to speculate one way or another, but one thing is for certain- the X1 is selling quite well anyway you look at it.
#124leatheljPosted 2/12/2014 10:26:17 PM
Fanboys and there "sell" war lol. I see no point to keep track of multi billon dollar company's money unless I'm in stock or just a fanboy but hey what ever makes you feel good.
---
Every one has there own opinions unless theirs is stupid.
#125Evel138Posted 2/13/2014 3:25:56 AM
toomanymouths posted...
I've never seen the documentary and haven't heard anyone talk about it. It's common sense. Any large chain has a distinct advantage over smaller businesses--they can make less profit from each individual store and still make a much greater profit when you add up the profit from all stores.

The only advantage a small business has is personality, customer service (sometimes), etc. Unfortunately, Wal*Mart has been able to cut costs so low for various reasons that too few people will boycott Wal*Mart in favor of another company.

OK, I'll bite....if for no other reason than to put you in your place.

As the article I'm about to link points out, it may be the conventional wisdom, but that's because you have a media that's quick to,demonize big business, but I contest that there isn't anything inherently good about Ma and Pa's local grocery shack anymore than there is nothing inherently bad about big box stores.

http://tinyurl.com/lp3x28h

According to a paper that will be published in an upcoming issue of the journal Economic Inquiry, Wal-Mart has had no real impact on the number or health of small businesses around the country. Russell Sobel, professor of economics at West Virginia University, http://www.be.wvu.edu/divecon/econ/sobel/co-author of the paper says no matter how you slice it-number of small companies, employees working for small businesses or financial health of small operators-Wal-Mart doesn’t have a positive or negative impact on those overall stats.

But that doesn't mean some small companies don't suffer. Sobel says what tends to happen is that local small companies that are competing directly with Wal-Mart may go out of business when the giant comes to town. But other businesses, mostly likely those that don't go head to head with Wal-Mart, pop up in their place. Painful for those whose businesses go under, but not a hit to the overall small business economy.

Again, your argument stems from anecdotal BS (that strikes me as emotional), giving you a certain bias that would make you unable to look at the situation from any reasonable point of view.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Lucky Number
http://fav.me/d6gbf9y
#126axelfooley2k5Posted 2/13/2014 7:09:59 AM(edited)
Evel138 posted...
toomanymouths posted...

As the article I'm about to link points out, it may be the conventional wisdom, but that's because you have a media that's quick to,demonize big business, but I contest that there isn't anything inherently good about Ma and Pa's local grocery shack anymore than there is nothing inherently bad about big box stores.

According to a paper that will be published in an upcoming issue of the journal Economic Inquiry, Wal-Mart has had no real impact on the number or health of small businesses around the country. Russell Sobel, professor of economics at West Virginia University, http://www.be.wvu.edu/divecon/econ/sobel/co-author of the paper says no matter how you slice it-number of small companies, employees working for small businesses or financial health of small operators-Wal-Mart doesn’t have a positive or negative impact on those overall stats.

But that doesn't mean some small companies don't suffer. Sobel says what tends to happen is that local small companies that are competing directly with Wal-Mart may go out of business when the giant comes to town. But other businesses, mostly likely those that don't go head to head with Wal-Mart, pop up in their place. Painful for those whose businesses go under, but not a hit to the overall small business economy.

Again, your argument stems from anecdotal BS (that strikes me as emotional), giving you a certain bias that would make you unable to look at the situation from any reasonable point of view.

the site you linked has no article or FACTS
You are the emotional one.
You would have to be a robot to believe walmart doesn't close small business .......i have 3 near me and all have devastated small stores

They make more money than most countries make

The Walton family has given away about 2% of its net worth to charity -- Bill Gates is giving away 48% of his net worth and Warren Buffet 78% of his net worth. Walmart doesnt allow workers to union.

you need to just put the words FACTS ABOUT WALMART in a search and take your pick

you sound like someone who thinks the state usa is in today is perfectly fine
is it not weird that 99% of the money is held by 1%?

Walmart is a big part of the problem, let them be, just dont defend them. They prostitute their workers.
---
Kramerica Industries
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icDXNHF-oEw
#127Evel138Posted 2/13/2014 10:09:16 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#128PulpPosted 2/13/2014 10:16:58 AM(edited)
*Save dnmt*

I am on a hunger strike until he is released from Purg. Actually, I am a little peckish...maybe I will have a snack. Ok, I am on a diet until he is released from Purg.

*Save dnmt*

This was a helpful thread.
---
Contest Abuse - You have lost the right to dispute or appeal further moderations.
#129extankerPosted 2/13/2014 10:14:27 AM
I love how people who hate Walmart boycott it by going to... Target. You know, because Target is a struggling small business...
#130axelfooley2k5Posted 2/13/2014 10:46:12 AM
Evel138 posted...
axelfooley2k5 posted...
Evel138 posted...

the site you linked has no article or FACTS
You are the emotional one.
You would have to be a robot to believe walmart doesn't close small business .......i have 3 near me and all have devastated small stores

They make more money than most countries make

The Walton family has given away about 2% of its net worth to charity -- Bill Gates is giving away 48% of his net worth and Warren Buffet 78% of his net worth. Walmart doesnt allow workers to union.

you need to just put the words FACTS ABOUT WALMART in a search and take your pick (because I read it on the internet, it has to be true....miright???)

you sound like someone who thinks the state usa is in today is perfectly fine
is it not weird that 99% of the money is held by 1%?

Walmart is a big part of the problem, let them be, just dont defend them. They prostitute their workers.

Umm, whom between us sounds like his point of view is coming from emotion again? The hyperbole both made me laugh and vomit in my mouth a little at the same time.

Wait right there while I fetch the worlds tiniest violin and play that sad sad song of the downtrodden "99"..........who chose (or did nothing to choose) their own station in life then turn around and have the nerve to blame anyone but themselves.

nice!
any factual evidence would be nice supporting if you show how walmart doesnt shut down small business before insulting me and changing my quote.
there are a lot of people who are born into terrible situations work hard and still get nothing out of life
you need to wake up and turn off fox news
cause seriously......That "demonize big business" crap is straight off a fox news talking point
---
Kramerica Industries
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icDXNHF-oEw