Do you think MS realized yet that gamers don't have loyalty?

#1MilesTeg420Posted 2/17/2014 7:46:56 AM
All gamers want is the best video game box. Last gen 360 was it until the last couple years. It all starts over again every generation. Whoever puts out the best video game box wins. Power, price, appeal.

The gamer will leave his online friends behind in a heartbeat if a competitor releases a superior product. The gamer doesn't feel attached to a brand because he/she has been paying a subscription fee for years. The gamer is fickle. It's all about who puts out the best box. Everything else is secondary...

With Xbox One, it seems as if MS thought they were too big to fail. That the gamer is attached to XBL. That the gamer loves his online friends and would never leave them. That the Xbox brand was so established that they had the core gamer in their pocket, and could focus on other markets (TV, sports, casual).

They forgot that the gamer has no loyalty. As soon as you stop appealing to them, that's it. They will switch sides in an instant (aside from small vocal minority on message boards).

MS took the gamer for granted. That's why Xbox One is so TV focused. So much sports. So much Kinect. Such high price. Lower spec. Inferior at playing games.

Well I hope they learned their lesson. The second you put the gamer as a secondary focus, they will abandon you in a heartbeat, especially if you launch alongside a competitor who is targeting your lifeblood.
#2A11eyKatPosted 2/17/2014 8:05:00 AM
Software > Hardware

San Andreas alone was a system seller for the PS2. If a particular system can secure a state of the art software then the console war will be over. If in fact it is possible or will ever come to fruition is not known.
---
---
You need people like me so you can point your fXXXXkin' fingers
#3SunDevil77Posted 2/17/2014 8:07:36 AM
Oh!
---
My teeth are swords, my claws are spears, my wings are a hurricane!
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#4MilesTeg420(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2014 8:08:50 AM
A11eyKat posted...
Software > Hardware

San Andreas alone was a system seller for the PS2. If a particular system can secure a state of the art software then the console war will be over. If in fact it is possible or will ever come to fruition is not known.
---

Yes but those days are seemingly over. That was a time when multiplat wasn't necessary to make your money back. Sony/MS would have to give Rockstar a billion dollars just for a 6 month exclusivity agreement on GTA at this point.

There's also the fact that arguably no other brand in gaming holds the kind of power that GTA does, and it's been like this since PS2.
#5ILikeGamesManPosted 2/17/2014 8:11:57 AM
A11eyKat posted...
Software > Hardware

100% this. Anyone who doesn't believe this needs to go back to whatever hobby they had before gaming because they lost touch with what counts.
#6PolishCockatielPosted 2/17/2014 8:15:33 AM
A11eyKat posted...
Software > Hardware

---

Its kinda funny to mention San Andreas and 'state of the art software' in the same sentence >_> That game was so low tech

But yeah, GTA was a PS2 system seller. Was one of the reasons I got a PS2 over the other systems... that along with a GameInformer preview for Metal Gear Solid 2
#7quincy2000aPosted 2/17/2014 8:16:35 AM
MilesTeg420 posted...
All gamers want is the best video game box. Last gen 360 was it until the last couple years. It all starts over again every generation. Whoever puts out the best video game box wins. Power, price, appeal.

The gamer will leave his online friends behind in a heartbeat if a competitor releases a superior product. The gamer doesn't feel attached to a brand because he/she has been paying a subscription fee for years. The gamer is fickle. It's all about who puts out the best box. Everything else is secondary...

With Xbox One, it seems as if MS thought they were too big to fail. That the gamer is attached to XBL. That the gamer loves his online friends and would never leave them. That the Xbox brand was so established that they had the core gamer in their pocket, and could focus on other markets (TV, sports, casual).

They forgot that the gamer has no loyalty. As soon as you stop appealing to them, that's it. They will switch sides in an instant (aside from small vocal minority on message boards).

MS took the gamer for granted. That's why Xbox One is so TV focused. So much sports. So much Kinect. Such high price. Lower spec. Inferior at playing games.

Well I hope they learned their lesson. The second you put the gamer as a secondary focus, they will abandon you in a heartbeat, especially if you launch alongside a competitor who is targeting your lifeblood.

We agree on most of what you've said, but I have a slightly different approach.

I feel that, stupidly enough, I was loyal to Microsoft.

But I contend that Microsoft was disloyal to us gamers this generation by giving us a second class gaming console.

THAT'S when the problem started.
#8RockguyKevPosted 2/17/2014 8:16:55 AM
ITT TC admits that gamers are fickle children who need constant ego stroking.
#9yanksfan4247Posted 2/17/2014 8:19:10 AM
A11eyKat posted...
San Andreas

A game that came out 2 years before next Gen was a system seller and not the other two games before it? Please sit down.
---
Twitter: @macdamurderer
GT: Mac Da Murderer
#10A11eyKatPosted 2/17/2014 8:19:27 AM
What really blows mind is the fact that the X1 is $100 more. It seems as though Microsoft ignored the mighty doller as well. Personally I think Microsoft is in damage control over the X1.
---
---
You need people like me so you can point your fXXXXkin' fingers