The "Pure Gamer" in a bully-filled environment is still viable.

#1SigmaLongshotPosted 2/17/2014 9:07:00 AM
I tend to hear a lot of incredibly specific typings when gamers are involved. "Hardcore gamers", "Newbie gamers", "Casual gamers", and so forth.

But one thing I've found that's becoming more prevalent is... if you aren't the single-most extreme version of elitist that you can be, regarding your hobby, then you are nothing more than "casual", "a pretender", "a shovelware-and-sharer". This is bullying by any other description - the notion that conforming, restricting to a singular ideal is the only way to be, and if you're not that, then you're crap, you're lame, you're a child.

But I'm what you'd call a "pure gamer". And that's a title solely for purpose of this thread - I don't wear that like a badge, it's more a state of mind. I play fun games, regardless of differing origins, platforms, graphical fidelity, publisher, distributor, morality or creed - if it's fun, I will play it.

After all, that's what games are for. Heck, they're called "games" - the definition of games? "A recreational activity designed with structured goals or rules". Basically, toys with structure.

But I am constantly being bullied, shepherded - towards a singular type, style, and format of gaming. It's demoralising not for me, but for the other guy; that this person would give up bacon just because he made a promise to only eat chocolate the rest of his life - that such arbitrary rules should be placed on these "toys with structure".

I have a Wii U. I have a PS Vita. I have an Xbox One. What do they all have in common? Peer ridicule, because they don't conform to specific rules and regulations of "the hardcore". But what do they all equally have in common to a purist? They offer unbridled fun, exceptional experiences that I wouldn't trade my memories of nor wished to have altered.

Did I play Zombi U and Super Mario 3D Land, despite one being a gritty survival game and one being a colourful platformer? Why yes, I did. Did I get drunk and play Dance Central with pals despite it being a "casual Kinect" title, an did I purchase and giggle my way through Dead Rising 3, despite it not having an arbitrary amount of frames per second? Why, yes, yes I did - and I had an inordinate amount of fun doing so. Heck, nothing compares to playing Frobisher Says! on the train, scrunching up your face as it shouts "don't smile at the badgers!" and frightening people adjacent to me.

It is not wrong, and it is not shameful to simply love your hobby. If some people are desperate to stymie, restrict, demean and abase you for finding joy in something you love, then don't feel self-pity, merely pity those people for thinking their way is the "hardcore" way - for metaphorically, at the very least, they will never again eat bacon, and will someday get diabetes from all that chocolate.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#2SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2014 9:35:29 AM
I'm going to bump this as it was a message with genuine intent for good that took longer for me to write than my usual posts.

I think genuinely nice notions shouldn't be overlooked.
---
#3KID VIDPosted 2/17/2014 9:41:28 AM
Well said, TC. Unfortunately, this will fall on deaf ears. Kudos for a well written post though.
---
Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KIDD VIDD
#4SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2014 9:45:53 AM
Thanks, Kid Vid; "if you meant something to only one person, then it was all worth it" and all that.

PS, I giggle every time I see your name. Wheels was my favourite. (Snort, "Wheels". So un-PC).

I actually sketched him a while back: http://sigmalongshot.deviantart.com/art/Kid-Vid-Reloaded-400465317
---
#5extankerPosted 2/17/2014 9:59:19 AM
I like you. Unfortunately, you should probably start running before the villagers with the torches and pitchforks show up.
#6KID VIDPosted 2/17/2014 10:02:11 AM
SigmaLongshot posted...
I actually sketched him a while back: http://sigmalongshot.deviantart.com/art/Kid-Vid-Reloaded-400465317

Dude, that's totally rad!
---
Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KIDD VIDD
#7Reflex-ArcPosted 2/17/2014 10:17:27 AM
I understand that it's human nature to label and categorize people and things, but the clumping of videogamers into hardcore and casual buckets always reminds me of Dr. Suess and The Sneeches.

But, because they had stars, all the Star-Belly Sneetches
Would brag, "We're the best kind of Sneetch on the Beaches."
With their snoots in the air, they would sniff and they'd snort
"We'll have nothing to do with the Plain-Belly sort!"
And whenever they met some, when they were out walking,
They'd hike right on past them without even talking.

When the Star-Belly children went out to play ball,
Could a Plain Belly get in the game... ? Not at all.
You only could play if your bellies had stars.
And the Plain Belly children had none upon thars.

Casual...hardcore... We're all gamers in the end.
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#8MastaMugenPosted 2/17/2014 10:36:12 AM
I want to give this a bump as well. It look's like 1/3 of this forum is Sony guys who think you can only have fun if it has the right "Numbers" Every damn thing with them is "Numbers" Never do they stop to realize every console has game's worth playing. It's sad because i just don' get that mentality at all. I've always wanted every console i could afford because they are all worth it in their own way, even the Wii U and most certainly the Xbox One. Nicely put post man.
---
3DS FC. 1607-3418-3236
#9billsfanno1Posted 2/17/2014 10:37:35 AM
Sigma, you are one of the few people who make this board worthwhile anymore. There are better places out there for someone with your wit and maturity to find worthwhile discussion. Unfortunately today is a national holiday in the USA and school is out, so the trolls are in full effect.
#10cheezedadadaPosted 2/17/2014 10:50:07 AM(edited)
I like Sigma as a poster too. He is here to just enjoy games and have fun.
---
XBL- cheezedadada PSN- cheezedadadada
PC, Xbox One, PS4 and handhelds. Yay for options.