Pre-ordering digitally

#1DOWBLACKNINJAPosted 2/17/2014 2:48:24 PM
Since we all know that MS can lock and unlock licenses remotely on the One (strider), do you guys think games will be able to be pre-ordered and installed earlier then release date and just unlocked at midnight launch day?
---
Gamefaqs where opinions becomes facts.
Tmo U.S. Galaxy S4
#2GeistPosted 2/17/2014 4:39:27 PM
Would be a cool idea. Give pre-order people the option to down load during off peak hours for a week prior to release or something so that at midnight they can just game on. I'd actually support this idea 100%.
---
For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!
#3Ironman06Posted 2/17/2014 5:02:43 PM
DOWBLACKNINJA posted...
Since we all know that MS can lock and unlock licenses remotely on the One (strider), do you guys think games will be able to be pre-ordered and installed earlier then release date and just unlocked at midnight launch day?

I don't see this happening without some sort of DRM. I feel like the risk of having the license hacked is just too great.
#40PTICSPosted 2/17/2014 5:08:09 PM
I wonder if you're able to download at 9PM west coast time.
#5DOWBLACKNINJA(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2014 7:03:42 PM
Bump
---
Tmo U.S. Galaxy S4
#6DOWBLACKNINJA(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2014 11:24:34 AM
Ironman06 posted...
DOWBLACKNINJA posted...

I don't see this happening without some sort of DRM. I feel like the risk of having the license hacked is just too great.

They were able to lock the license for strider easily, should be able to unlock just as easy. I would definitely buy games digitally early just to save the hassle of going to a brick and mortar place.
---
Tmo U.S. Galaxy S4
#7garainePosted 2/18/2014 11:34:59 AM
Ironman06 posted...
DOWBLACKNINJA posted...

digital downloads still use drm. they just removed it from physical media so player could still trade their disk.
#8RenamonPosted 2/18/2014 11:40:18 AM
Never thought about downloading it early but just having it locked until release. Seems like an ok idea to save bandwidth costs. But I'm sure hackers will find a way to play it early anyway...just to get banned.
---
Movies that I believe will come true: Wall-E, Idiocracy
Halo 1 > all other Halo games
#9DOWBLACKNINJA(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2014 1:22:40 PM
I asked respawn on twitter and they responded that it was a good question and would bring up to MS.
---
Tmo U.S. Galaxy S4
#10Juzten76Posted 2/18/2014 1:25:45 PM
Ironman06 posted...
DOWBLACKNINJA posted...

All digital download games on consoles use DRM. Otherwise you could just give it to all your friends for free. There's no way to do digital game distributions without DRM unless they don't want to make any money on the game. Get used to DRM because this will be the last generation with disc based games.