Kinect

#1dmband41Posted 2/17/2014 2:01:28 PM
I already know no one cares, so keep that in mind. So my Kinect goes belly up this past weekend. Everyone cries and gripes about not wanting or needing it, but I am here to say that I miss the features Kinect offered. I liked being able to turn my One on by simply speaking, having it recognize and sign me in, and the voice commands no one seemed to care about. You think you don't need these features, but when they're gone, you miss them.

TL;DR: Kinect features will be missed when you lose them.
#2AnakeriePosted 2/17/2014 2:02:11 PM
I'd be steaming that something I just bought a few months ago has already died.
---
GT: CrampedSultana
Pawn: Zarianna
#3dmband41(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2014 2:04:23 PM
Anakerie posted...
I'd be steaming that something I just bought a few months ago has already died.

I am.
#4pwnater777Posted 2/17/2014 2:04:45 PM
So it's already gone bad?

Lives up to Microsoft quality expectations.
---
"That's NASCAR tactics."
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe
#5dmband41(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2014 4:05:20 AM
Yep.
#6mygoodluckcharmPosted 2/18/2014 4:31:48 AM
So it was better not having it in the first place I guess. Not have it, not gonna miss it.
#7kennyynnooPosted 2/18/2014 4:36:47 AM
They won't get you a new one? I know the warranty is sketchy on those but I don't know how it works. I only use mine for Skype.
---
PSN-S30andz32
360-Z32andS30
#8Evel138Posted 2/18/2014 4:45:50 AM
I was really impressed with the facial recognition. Just last night it was dimly lit in the room and it recognized and signed both myself and youngest son in immediately. Done.

I also haven't had any problems with the voice commands others seem to be having....in my experience the new Kinect is improved in every way.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Lucky Number
http://fav.me/d6gbf9y
#9PoweredMilkManPosted 2/18/2014 4:51:04 AM
Evel138 posted...
I was really impressed with the facial recognition. Just last night it was dimly lit in the room and it recognized and signed both myself and youngest son in immediately. Done.

I also haven't had any problems with the voice commands others seem to be having....in my experience the new Kinect is improved in every way.

Same with you, I haven't had any problems with it. I really like the voice commands. But that's all I've used it for, I've tried using the head tracking in bf4 but I didn't understand it. And I've used it with upload.
---
XBL/PSN/WiiU - bloodandbourbon
#10Uproar2099Posted 2/18/2014 5:15:10 AM
Mine died a few days ago (waiting on M$ to send me a replacement as we speak).

And I feel totally the same way. You realize quickly that navigating the UI is twice as difficult without the Kinect. I have my TV running through the Xbox and without the Kinect I have to turn my Xbox controller on, navigate the home page and select TV before I can watch it. When my Kinect was running, I'd simply say "Xbox On"... "Xbox Watch TV" and usually the TV show was on before my receiver/TV even had time to boot up, never had to turn on the Xbox controller.

I know it seems like a small thing, and for people that have never (or hardly) used the Kinect, it's no big change, but for someone that's very used to using the Kinect voice commands, it's a big downgrade when it's not there.

Also, I'm finding there are some apps that aren't working for me now that the Kinect isn't working (Kinect fitness, upload studio are 2 that immediately come to mind).

Thankfully, M$ has a decent replacement policy (you don't have to send the whole system back, just the Kinect and they can send you one first, letting you wait to send back the defective one until the new one arrives). I just hope it's here soon (been waiting since Thursday so far).
---
GT: Uproar2099
When I was asked to declare my dependents for taxes, I declared three... my wife, my kids, and my government.