How powerful do you think these consoles are? (Answer poll before reading)

#1DesperateMonkeyPosted 2/17/2014 6:10:29 PM(edited)
How powerful do you think the PS4/XB1 is? - Results (278 votes)
Budget PC (something made for less than $400)
11.51% (32 votes)
Low end PC ($400-600)
25.18% (70 votes)
Mid range PC ($600-900)
52.16% (145 votes)
High end PC ($900-$1500)
7.19% (20 votes)
Overkill PC ($1500+)
3.96% (11 votes)
This poll is now closed.
"Consoles are like high end PCs".

I hear this kind of ignorance even coming from supposed "gaming journalists". I was watching GameTrailers and it was a bunch of guys talking, I think Kyle Bosman was there, and they were like "consoles are for those who don't want to get a high end PC" and in other videos they actually say Xbox or PS4 games look like high end PC games.

Are these people blind and why are they talking out of their ass? I feel like these "professionals" should seriously broaden their knowledge if they are going to make shows out of their opinions. I am curious as to how many people think these consoles measure up to real PCs. I feel like there is some kind of negative campaigning against PCs to make it seem more difficult and expensive than it is. PC assembly these days are about as difficult as assembling a lego kit that comes with like 10 pieces and you can build something that will pretty much crap all over these consoles for only $500-$600.

I think consoles are great for their unique functions and exclusives but there seems to be a lot of conscious deception being thrown around by console fans towards PCs.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#2peter_katPosted 2/17/2014 8:06:54 PM
Before anyone trolls or flames, I own a PS4, Xbox 360, and a Wii. Plus I'm a PC gamer.

But for anyone (even some of my friends) to say that a gaming PC takes $1000 dollars to upgrade and $2000 to build, they don't know what is coming out of their mouths.

I built my PC for only ~$450 and it has the same graphics card and equivalent processor as the PS4.

Do some research before you start flaming.
#3georgewduff1Posted 2/17/2014 8:14:49 PM
peter_kat posted...
Before anyone trolls or flames, I own a PS4, Xbox 360, and a Wii. Plus I'm a PC gamer.

But for anyone (even some of my friends) to say that a gaming PC takes $1000 dollars to upgrade and $2000 to build, they don't know what is coming out of their mouths.

I built my PC for only ~$450 and it has the same graphics card and equivalent processor as the PS4.

Do some research before you start flaming.

For the majority of people out there...building a PC for the long run (2-3 years) will cost them from the start maybe 500 to 600$(monitor and box with accesories.) with a minimum of knowledge and a good hand in actually building it...not to mention the OS and software cost...

And that will lead to a standard mid - high end PC....nothing explosive...

But for 400$-500$...You buy a out of the box ready hardware with the controller and hdmi cable...with the software...
---
XboxOne and my gaming addiction are perfect match :) GT: Major W Duff
#4Xeeh_BitzPosted 2/17/2014 8:17:21 PM
Low end PC, it uses what is now considered low end graphic cards, the PS4 a bit better but nothing near mid range now a days
---
3770K w/ 780 TI SLI gaming powerhouse.
Steam: Xeeh Origin: TurboPeasant
#5georgewduff1Posted 2/17/2014 8:24:56 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Low end PC, it uses what is now considered low end graphic cards, the PS4 a bit better but nothing near mid range now a days

As PC part maybe....But its built-in custom SoC...for both Platform...with their own OS, Kernel and driver...so...compare them as equal part is not fair...
---
XboxOne and my gaming addiction are perfect match :) GT: Major W Duff
#6snake_5036Posted 2/17/2014 8:34:50 PM
they're mid range at best, but most likely low end.
---
Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady.
#7DeadCeIIScoutPosted 2/17/2014 8:35:07 PM

So... why did you pay $50 more?
---
"Slick"
http://i.imgur.com/oJWGvoB.png
#8peter_katPosted 2/17/2014 8:43:49 PM
DeadCeIIScout posted...

So I can do everything a console cannot? PC exclusives, doing my homework, torrenting TV shows and movies, etc
#9DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2014 4:26:10 PM
Just so people know, the consoles aren't low end PCs because they have a low end video card. They are budget PCs on average because of a combination of terrible parts, including an extremely limited harddrive.

As for the OS and other stuff, thats all dependent on the user. Whereas the PS4 and XB1 doesn't allow you to use your old controllers, PCs will work just fine with keyboards that you bought even 20 years ago. My gaming mouse has crossed 3 generations of consoles already. In terms of OS, you still get way more options with what is free than what is available to the consoles at the moment and since Steam is now pushing Linux, Linux will be getting steady support as well. If you need to buy a fresh OS, it still doesn't change the status of your PC. A sub $400 PC is a budget PC and the parts will best any current consoles. If we want to talk about the details of saving money, by the end of the year, these PC parts will likely be even cheaper so for $400, you can get something much stronger than a PS4.

Remember, these are BRAND NEW CONSOLES. They are here for like 7-8 years. From day one, they are the equivalent of something that is considered bottom of the barrel for PC gamers. I think people still have memories of the Xbox 360 and PS3. Those consoles were exceptions. The Xbox 360 released for $300 with a GPU that outperformed a $600 PC video card. I would take an Xbox One even if it repeated the RROD fiasco if it came with an equivalent videocard today. But instead, whats inside is a $70ish video card.

If people really want graphics, I think people need to start exploring PCs. They really aren't that hard to build at all. Its amazingly simple these days and you will see major differences.

Consoles are great for what they do but in the power department, this generation is a complete joke and sites like GameTrailers are talking out of their asses when they say XB1/PS4 games look anything like a game running on a high end PC. They don't even look anything like games running on a decent low end PC...
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#10TreGoodaPosted 2/18/2014 4:37:43 PM
peter_kat posted...
DeadCeIIScout posted...

So I can do everything a console cannot? PC exclusives, doing my homework, torrenting TV shows and movies, etc

>Monitor, speakers or headphones, keyboard, mouse, case, motherboard, cpu, gpu, hdd, psu, ram, OS
>$450

Yeah no. Even if you leave the monitor out you don't have a PC that's matching a PS4 or an X1.

You also have to factor in how much more power you need for equal performance on a pc vs a console that has every game optimized for it and a less demanding OS running in the background.
---
"Get a life! What? I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives."