How powerful do you think these consoles are? (Answer poll before reading)

#41PraetorXynPosted 2/19/2014 1:21:45 PM
Juzten76 posted...
Typically a console with the power of a mid-range PC is going to run games better than a mid-range PC. When games are built from the ground up for specific hardware they are going to run better.

No such consoles exist this generation.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#42TreGoodaPosted 2/19/2014 2:54:09 PM
DesperateMonkey posted...
TreGooda posted...
peter_kat posted...
DeadCeIIScout posted...
I built my PC for only ~$450 and it has the same graphics card and equivalent processor as the PS4.

So... why did you pay $50 more?

So I can do everything a console cannot? PC exclusives, doing my homework, torrenting TV shows and movies, etc

>Monitor, speakers or headphones, keyboard, mouse, case, motherboard, cpu, gpu, hdd, psu, ram, OS
>$450

Yeah no. Even if you leave the monitor out you don't have a PC that's matching a PS4 or an X1.

You also have to factor in how much more power you need for equal performance on a pc vs a console that has every game optimized for it and a less demanding OS running in the background.

Oh man, peasants are so damn ignorant. My PC is hooked up to my TV and runs through the same audio setup... adding this stuff is just idiotic. Also, why would you buy a new one of everything? Its not like consoles where they rip you off with proprietary hardware. You can use any mic or headset from anything else you have whereas consoles only take specific stuff. If anything, PCs need to buy less things since they are so adaptable to what you already have.

The whole PC with GPU,CPU, case, MoBo, Power, Ram and HDD costs about $350. This is ALREADY accounting for optimization. You thought a budget PC was the exact same as an Xbox One or PS4? Its not. The PS4 and Xbox One parts are total trash that its not even worthy of a budget PC in actual hardware. Hell if you spent $450, you would have double the GPU power of the PS4. Optimization has never done anything to come close to producing such an effect.

Sure you still have to buy KB/M but many people have those already and if you need them, they aren't that expensive and you only need to buy them once for many many generations. They can also often use older generation hardware from consoles too, which just makes consoles more of a joke in this department. My Xbox 360 controller works just fine on my PC and laptop but not on my Xbox One. You have way more options and cheaper options than consoles.

Basically, PS4 equivalent is $350. If you need to buy OS and KB/M, then add like another $100. You spend $50 more but don't have garbage like "music playing" locked behind ridiculous subscriptions and have much better UI functions and a system that is modular in case you ever want to upgrade and get better performance since your GPU is going to be much cheaper in 2 years so you can double your performance for like $50 in 2015 whereas the PS4 and Xbox One are stuck with the equivalent of a high end smartphone by then....

Sorry, but you really have no idea what you're talking about. I realize you're probably some high school kid that added a gpu to your pc once so you think you know something about computers. However, all of your posts show otherwise.

BTW, I have 2 gaming pcs at home, work in IT and have a good knowledge of what I'm talking about.

The $350 equivalent isn't equivalent at all because you are comparing 2 platforms that require 2 kinds of specs to run games at an equal level.

You should educate yourself instead of trolling the X1 forum. You'll start to feel bad about yourself after you gain some knowledge.
---
"Get a life! What? I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives."
#43DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 6:19:40 PM(edited)
Wow, there is a whole army of pretend PC gamers in this topic, comparing consoles the $1100 rigs with SSDs, saying they have statistics proving "PC gamers mostly buy monitors so they have to buy monitors and add that to the cost". This is hilarious. I love how some scrub tries to brag about his expensive rig and says that $100 vid cards are garbage when thats exactly what is in these consoles.

Now we got this fake IT guy who says I know nothing about PCs because these are two different platforms and can't be compared when BF4 has already been compared... If you really work in IT, you should renew your education because this is really simple stuff to find out. Please tell me how the XB1/PS4 version of BF4 runs at midrange performance.

You guys are seriously trying so hard to convince yourselves you got a great deal on hardware...
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#44Sega9599Posted 2/20/2014 5:51:27 AM
Wow, there is a whole army of pretend PC gamers in this topic, comparing consoles the $1100 rigs with SSDs, saying they have statistics proving "PC gamers mostly buy monitors so they have to buy monitors and add that to the cost". This is hilarious. I love how some scrub tries to brag about his expensive rig and says that $100 vid cards are garbage when thats exactly what is in these consoles.

Now we got this fake IT guy who says I know nothing about PCs because these are two different platforms and can't be compared when BF4 has already been compared... If you really work in IT, you should renew your education because this is really simple stuff to find out. Please tell me how the XB1/PS4 version of BF4 runs at midrange performance.

You guys are seriously trying so hard to convince yourselves you got a great deal on hardware...

still trolling eh? but you said you HATE PCs in general?
---
Oh, for a new 'proper' Shining Force..and a new Panel de Pon game and a new english release of Puyo Puyo....
#45DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2014 1:48:26 PM(edited)
Lol why do I hate PCs in general? The only people trolling are the ones who continously spout misinformation to make themselves feel better about their purchases. Clearly, many posters in this topic are completely trying to justify their console purchases because they feel insecure about it.

Like I said, consoles have their advantages, but its not in cost, performance or cost for performance.

Jokers here trying to bloat up PC costs and pretend that PS4 is running BF4 on some crazy settings at a crappy 900p resolution need to get a clue. Anyone who thinks you HAVE to buy an OS for PCs may as well say you HAVE to spend hundreds of dollars just to play online.

I think the petty graphics debates between Xbox's garbage graphics and PS4's slightly less garbage graphics has made console fanboys play up the importance of graphics without realizing how pathetic both these platforms are if you actually care much about graphics. Hell my PS4 equivalent PC costs the same as a PS4 and instead of wasting $50 a year, I could spend $50 in a few years and double my GPU performance. Optimization gets you nothing in comparison doubling down with xfire or SLI. Hell by the time optimization really gets anywhere (like 4-5 years), I would have saved enough from PSN/Live subscriptions to have bought a monstrous card compared to whats in these consoles for $100.
---
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#46Fade2black001Posted 2/21/2014 1:53:41 PM
Uber failed post and poll. A PC is NOT a console.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#47DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2014 1:54:56 PM
So because it isn't a console, you think performance cannot be compared? The arguments are getting desperate... Is it an aesthetic choice to play on lower resolutions, lower settings and framerates?
---
#48Fade2black001Posted 2/21/2014 2:15:57 PM
So because it isn't a console, you think performance cannot be compared? The arguments are getting desperate... Is it an aesthetic choice to play on lower resolutions, lower settings and framerates?

Well sure it can be compared. Consoles are dumbed down PC's after all. Pc's are cheaper for gaming as well and just better all around. The so called "journalists" that say consoles are High end PC's are a joke and do not know what they are talking about. In order to get the performance out of a console say a PS4 (the stronger one) it will be doable for 600 bucks. This is just for the hardware parts itself. This doesn't include a monitor, the OS or anything else.

I put this together really fast...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Xx5k

Its more powerful than the consoles and its 600 bucks...

But Keep in mind the performance a PS4 gives for 400 bucks can not be beaten. You can not build a 400 PC to even match that of a PS4. As for the making a PC for 500 bucks compared to the price of the XB1 is more than doable. I put this together and its more powerful than the XB1 is.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Xxjx
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#49DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2014 2:47:22 PM
Actually, in direct comparisons, $600 PCs consistently destroy the PS4 in terms of performance. A $600 PC can fit two video cards that are stronger than PS4's GPU by themselves already. $400 already matches PS4 performance but if you spend $600, even after 10 years of optimization, its going to look like utter trash in comparison to that PC. Optimization on consoles has never come anywhere close to dishing out double performance for a card. Hell I don't even know if optimization can pull off 30%. Skyrim on Xbox 360 was supposedly optimized, yet still ran on crap settings, 720 with framerate drops. In contrast, the WEAKER, GTS 8600 video card could run a steady locked frame rate of 30 FPS at around the same settings in 720p with no AA. The rest of the parts are just as bad. E2200 dual core CPU is no stronger than the Xbox 360 CPU and the system only had 2 gigs of ram to run both OS and game.

If optimization makes a difference, it certainly is more akin to the PC equivalent of overclocking rather than upgrading to a higher level performance.

People throw around the term optimization a lot but the only time it makes a drastic difference on performance is when games are developed for consoles and poorly optimized. But then consoles have had their share of poorly optimized games as well so thats really a game by game basis.
---
#50DarkReign2022Posted 2/21/2014 2:53:31 PM
There's a lot of confusion and idiocy being thrown around period. When you have Xboners, Sony Ponies, and Master Racers all popping off at the mouth left and right, all it does is bury the truth beneath heaps of BS and fallacy and the wrong message is sent out. When you add on to that the members of each group that are specifically trying to undermine the success of other platforms despite the fact that they stand to gain absolutely nothing from doing so, all you end up with is a bunch of pissed off people hurling accusations at one another. The PS4 is a strong console, the Xbox One is not "doomed" and neither console compares to the hardware capabilities of the PC. That's all there is too it. There are no bad systems. Only bad communities to support them.